Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 67
Send Topic Print
redbird's blog and stories (Read 256857 times)
redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: redbird's blog and stories
Reply #60 - 02/09/11 at 06:52:26

Cry...crying...I've been thinking...
so what is cry..if we want to be correct it is a loud vocal sound... or perhaps sob and shed tears...weep..hummm something we do when we are sad.. not sure that any of these fit my feelings...
what makes cry...is it a jester or an emotion .. where does it come from... does it come from deep in our mind and soul??
crying can be painful...it is like a cleansing of the soul...taking out all the sad things and looking at them and telling them goodbye.
redbird
the word writer

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #61 - 02/11/11 at 04:42:23

This is a story that I wrote about my son who drives a truck. I giggle each time I read it as in my head I can still hear his voice telling it to me..it is a little long but I hope you will read it to the end...enjoy and have a giggle or a laugh...

This is a true story told to me by my son Wandel.  Wandel drives an 18-wheeler. He drives for a company called CFI.  He use to drive cross country but now is a local driver.  As a local driver his responsible is to pick up a  trailer load of goods from companies and return them to the terminal to be picked up by cross country drivers.  Their terminal is located in a town just outside of Dallas TX.  I am telling you this part so that you can understand...the situation.  Wandel has worked for them several years and so he has what he calls a "mind set" for truck driving. He explained "mine set" as...when you are doing something...shopping...taking a trip...etc etc..you have your mind on that...you are not necessarily thinking of other things...just to accomplish you current project.
In Dallas as everywhere around us...the weather had been very hot...and since his a/c in the truck was not working properly he decided to start his rounds earlier than usual .  Maybe he could finish up his runs before it became so hot.
This particular morning he was up very early and picked up a load of tires to take to the terminal...going down the interstate...65 miles per...dark...moving right along..things going fine...WHEN out of the corner of his eye...a slight movement by his CB mike...but he has his "mind set" so he is fine...SUDDENLY his eyes tell him that something is in his lap...now brain has not made the connect yet...BUT suddenly brain says...THERE IS A SNAKE IN YOUR LAP!!  Out the window goes "mind set"...now brain is in gear and telling him to get off the road...which he did in all the unauthorized methods known...we are heading for the bar ditch...out of the truck...door open...
Guess who has been watching...right...the police...and now the cop is pulling up.  Wandel is out of the truck...of course the cop is thinking he is ill or perhaps has had a heart attack...so cop says...son are you alright??
Wandel says...yes I am fine ...there is a snake in my truck.
Cop says Yeah...
Wandel says...no really there is a snake in my truck...
Cop says yeah..
So now Wandel knows that the cop is thinking...OK drug test here...or he is going to check for sobriety...and he starts to get out his drug kit from under the seat...that he has to carry in his truck for just this thing..
Wandel says...I understand what you are thinking...I understand that you are thinking of giving me a drug test but I am telling you there is a snake in my truck.
Cop says...yeah
Now at this time Wandel reaches behind the seat of his truck and pulls out his crow bar...that he tells me all drivers carry to pull out the nails in the trailer floors.
Cop says...son what are you going to do with that crow bar as he looks and backs up a bit.
Wandel says...I am going to kill that snake...don't think you are going to be able to shoot it.
Cop says...yeah.
Cop says...I would feel much better if you would put that crow bar up and Wandel repeats...we got to kill the snake.
Now they have both doors of the truck open and standing there discussing this snake problem that the cop does not believe and Wandel does not blame him.
WHEN SUDDENLY....out of the a/c vent comes the snake's head...there is the snake...it comes out about 5 inches to have a look around...and there are the cop and Wandel yelling...LOOK..LOOK...IT IS THE SNAKE.
Now they have this problem...the cop cannot shoot the snake it will tear up the truck...and they cannot pull it out of the vent as it goes back inside every time they try to pull it out with the crow bar.
By this time Wandel has proclaimed that he is not driving the truck to the terminal so he is calling "road service" to be towed in...needless to say...road service did not believe him either and did not appreciate being pulled out of bed to tow a truck...with a snake.
So here we have the cop and Wandel on the side of the road...trying to figure out how to take care of this problem...finally Wandel says...maybe we can flush him out...so he raised the hood and turns on the water and air on the a/c and they watch...sure enough after about 3 to 5 minutes the snake starts out...they manage to pen it to the floor and you can now know how the crow bar was used...so now they have the dead snake...with a very mashed head...about 3 feet long and big around as a quarter...it brown and black...dead.
Well we still have the truck on the side of the interstate and Wandel says...how do we know there are not more snakes in the truck...by now the "road service" is there for towing him in...a grumpy soul who did not want to get out of bed for a "snake driving a truck".
Wait wait...say the cop and Wandel...we have the snake.
Road service...yeah.
So the cop and Wandel find a box for the snake to travel in to the terminal...as the dispatcher does not believe this story either.  Finally all parties are on their way...cop in his car with a story to tell his fellow officers will not believe...Wandel in the tow truck...trying to make the road service person understand and the snake in the box.
Wandel now tells me his early morning checking of his truck is different and he has changed his "mind set" to include pounding on the head liner of the truck and check his truck cab for other things...including snakes.
How did this snake get into his truck you ask...well he told me that recently they had mowed the large pasture surrounding the terminal and he thinks that could have driven the snake out of the field up under his truck...the boot which is a large plastic surrounding his gear shift had a split in it...so possible the snake came in that way...found his way to the head liner area where many wires runs and found a safe place to rest...
Yes I ask...and someone did take pictures
redbird
the word writer

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #62 - 02/17/11 at 03:36:11

well do I have a story for you...

this week I received a interesting phone call and it went like this....
A lady called me in regard to a gift that she wanted to give her sister for her 50th birthday.Seemed this lady had just about anything you might think of so Brenda (the caller) ask her what could she give her that would mean something..her reply was....
In the early 1970s you (Brenda) was a freshman in high school and the guy you were in love with for 2 whole months gave you a crochet necklace that his mother had made...just so you understand the guy was my son and I made the necklace...
now in 1970s if you had one of these handmade crochet necklaces you were really in fashion.  My husband's mother taught me how to make them as she was one of those people who could look at something and crochet it.  It was lots of fun so I made some with gold beads and sliver beads and Brenda's necklace was with pearl ones and it was long and pretty.
As she told me this story of course I did remember making them and she ask...would you still have one...and of course I said no..that has been almost 40 years ago and how did your sister remember this in such detail..
Well I told her I would ask my daughter as I had given her lots of old jewelry from my mom as well as some of my own.
Daughter said no mom I don't think so but I will look...so I sit myself down and did a little thinking..and suddenly I remembered an old old jewelry box back in a bedroom...telling self to go look I opened up the box and guess what was in it..yup you are right...there was a gold bead necklace and a long pretty pearl one..they had laid in this box for over 35 years..
I called the lady and told her what I found..and she cried...she so wanted to give her sister this special gift.  She is going to find a black velvet box and I have some little gold tags that I used for items that I painted and sold that say simply ...by Joyce....
not only did it make her happy but it was such a pleasure that someone remembered something I created for almost 40 years ..Brenda and I decided that it had to be a "God thing".
redbird
The word writer

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #63 - 02/17/11 at 06:55:02

almost every morning I have a special computer game that I play...it is a word game and I play it to see if I am going to have a good day or the brain is just going to be fried all day..and some days I just cannot past the test..I am sure that the computer has the answer wrong and I am right...but how do you argue with the computer...
well so I decided to cheat..no one will know and the computer cannot talk..mine is so old that I am amazed when it comes on each day..
so now I can tell you when the computer says...oh no that is the wrong answer...I just chuckle and say...."watch me" LOL LOL  
redbird
the word writer

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #64 - 02/19/11 at 04:10:42

I wanted to share a little tidbit with you..
in my lifetime I have read many many books and I am a fast reader...my passion is reading...so having said that I want to tell you about the very best book I have ever read.  I recently found a new author ...John Hart.  Now he has written a couple of previous books but the one which will be my all time favorite book is  "The Last Child".  
I must tell you that this book made me slow down and read and savor each word...you don't have to buy it as I found that it is in our local libraries..that is where I found a copy to read.
John tells me that he has another book coming out in March and I am already on the reading list for waiting..He said that as of now it is titled "The Iron Horse"  I can hardly wait..don't know what it is about he did not say..
redbird
the word writer
PS..a report from Birdville coming in will post later

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #65 - 02/19/11 at 07:53:12

you know that commerical...the potato chip...Ruffles have ridges
well my finger nails have ridges..wondering if this means I am getting older
redbird
the word writer

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #66 - 02/19/11 at 10:10:47

well some people just cannot say "I am sorry" when they mess up...they will try to do something nice for you instead...well mother nature is one of those people...she just could not say "I am sorry" for those two nasty snow storms she sent..so instead she has sent 3 "sitting on the porch" days...loving it
redbird
the word writer

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #67 - 02/20/11 at 06:54:20

well speaking of commercials...remember that potato chip one...think it was Lays...that said...you can't eat just one??
well I am beboppin  down the grocery aisle and a big sign catches my eye..CRACKER JACKS...not in a box but a bag...now I am thinking that would make a nice snack..
well of course I got a bag and took it home ...opened that dude up and slipped a couple in my mouth..boy that was good..went back a few seconds later for another handful...and finally I just gave in and took the whole bag...yup ate the whole thing..so my theory is that  ...you can't eat just one ...applies to a lot of things..
redbird
the word writer

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #68 - 02/20/11 at 09:51:27

Cracker Jacks!!!  OOOOOHHHHHHH!!!   I used to LOVE them when I was a kid!!   I loved the way the peanut tastes with the popcorn!!

Here, Redbird, I've got a TREMENDOUS popcorn recipe for you!!  I learned how to make popcorn this way from my Brazilian Girlfriends

Get out a DUTCH OVEN with a lid.  You need a BIG PAN.  A long handled spoon and a BIG container for the popped corn.

In the bottom of it put about a tablespoon of oil and 2 tablespoons of butter.  Pour in about half a cup of good popcorn and about a 1/2 teaspoon of salt.  Turn the fire on HIGH and start stirring with a long handled spoon.  

CONSTANTLY stir until your hand falls off!!   and keep your eyes GLUED.  Watch the popcorn change from it's somewhat angular shape to that of a rounded one.  You will also see the butter and oil bubble up around the unpopped kernals in the bottom of the pan.  All of a sudden you'll see one then two pop, but DON'T STOP STIRRING YET!!   Wait just a few more seconds until you see that the pan begins to take off and then remove the spoon and your hand and COVER THE PAN!!  

Then LISTEN!   At first you will hear the pinging of the popcorn hitting the lid and then shortly you won't hear it anymore.  That's when you REMOVE THE LID!  Carefully, mind you so that you can put it back on if you need to.  But what usually happens is that the weight of the already popped popcorn will hold back any of the newly popped corn from flying out of the pan!!   By removing the lid, you allow the moisture and steam to escape, which is what makes the popcorn so mushy!!!    

KEEP LISTENING!!   You will notice that the ferocious popping will begin to slow down.  When it's slowing down, remove the pan from the heat and continue waiting.  You pour the batch of popped corn into your large container if you smell anything burning or when the popping has stopped.  

By stirring the corn you don't need to do any shaking of any pans around.  The stirring will force all of the kernels to get to the right popping temperature all at the same time so the popping ends up going into an explosion of activity almost all at once!!!  And by having the salt and butter already in the pan, the popcorn comes up already seasoned!  So, do not add more butter or salt, you have already seasoned it while it was popping!!!!   And by having removed the lid, you'll see that your popcorn is very crispy!!

If you want to make something like the cracker jacks or the such, I can't help you there.  I love just plain buttered popcorn and I let the kids experiment with the other stuff!!   What I've seen people do here is that they will pour condensed milk in a fine thread while stirring and then pour in chocholate Jimmies all through it!   It's okay for the kids, but I personally love just plain buttered popcorn!!   I like being stuck in my rut!    Smiley

Thanks for the memories Redbird.  I thought I'd share my popcorn with you in return!!   Hope you like it!

ENJOY!!

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #69 - 02/24/11 at 07:55:57

Good afternoon to all...
My Charlie Brown pillow and I have had a "time out".  Wanted to share this little tidbit from a book that I am reading...

She did not have to be anything.  She did not have to be smart, brave, cunning, heroic, courageous.  She only had to be there, that was all.

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #70 - 02/25/11 at 06:14:56

Birdville News...
Well Foote let me sit in "The Bird Watching Chair".by myself..and I did and I watched...
Many years ago I had bought a bird feeder..it was always my favorite..hard to tell you what it looks like but it opens up and is great for redbirds to feed as it gives them a large place to stand..
Now my bird feeder had somehow made it's way to the trash pile and I will admit it looked bad..parts missing and some together with wire it had survived years of wind and hail and snow..but I decided to get it out..and I did. I did some hammering etc trying to make it useful again...  I told my son that I wanted to hang it and took myself off to the tractor supply store for the redbirds favorite food...black oil sunflowers seed..and we did.
Suddenly I looked out my window and could not believe my eyes...remember Alfred Hitchcock's movie...The Birds...well that is what my back yard looked like...Birds everywhere..not one or two or ten or twelve..dozens and dozens and dozens ..they were everywhere..the trees were full of birds holding numbers waiting their turn to get into the feeder..the sky  was full of others coming...and as I looked they were all golden finches-yellow finches..I could not believe this..they are suppose to be on their way north for the summer months..
As I continued to watch this sight I am thinking...this feeder is magic..but I ask one of the finches if he would explain it to me and he said...girl have you not heard of texting..seems the word went out over twitter and all the means available that this feeder was in my back yard..Then I ask..but you are suppose to like thistles not sunflower seeds..reply was ...girl you are really behind the times...you must be reading an old bird book..get a Kindle..
I cannot tell you what a delightful time this is ...how long will it last..is it magic or simply the finches on a migration to the north and we are on the way and it is a stop for fuel..kinda like a gas station..has the new communication brought them to us..when will it end..will it end...I don't know but Birdville is enjoying the new residences.
redbird
the word writer

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #71 - 02/25/11 at 12:44:06

How delightful!  Thanks for the smile in my day Redbird.

IP Logged

steelergirl
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #72 - 02/27/11 at 13:07:14

Redbird- I LOVE the words from your book- thank you for sharing them.  Am not sure why, but they resonated(i know! Spelling!! giggle) with me but, I thank you-
Re: birdfeeder magic-   ahhhh- yes, all golden finches? It is a part of nature's magic and, perhaps, a 'sign' of a golden time ahead for all, in your neighborhood of Birdville!  Hopefully, will spread and be the beginning of a golden era for all!

We had nice sitting weather this weekend also, and our redbird 'couple'-he bright and flashy and she, quite pretty-i think- if one takes the time to really look at her-more of a muted 'sophisticated' coloring than her partner's flash-to-distract-from- the-wife-and-nest coloring, teased us with both their voices and flashes of color in the trees. They are here every year. am not sure if they stay all year, but they nest in the side tree each year. We also have a large, red headed woodpecker, a small gray one, and some unidentified others, who like to visit the back yard.  I was watching them, grinning, and my hubby asked what was making me smile?  I told him was thinking about a dear lady, with a grand way with words, who was wise enough to take time out and enjoy the birds and all of nature's tricks and treats daily.  He laughed and said "the lady who writes the stories you tell me about?" "yep" "hmm, maybe she's on to something- maybe we should do this more often"  Giggle- so, Redbird- not only are your stories better than 'a happy pill', they have stretched across the country touched the lives of others, reminding us of the beauty and truth that lurks, just outside the door- if you only will open it and look with your heart, as well as with your eyes!
Blessings to you! and all around you! Smiley

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #73 - 02/28/11 at 09:46:34

thank you ...my pleasure and joy is just to make someone smile or laugh or giggle
redbird

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #74 - 02/28/11 at 09:48:16

Foote...
I looked out the window this morning and saw Foote sitting in the far back yard...she was sitting very still and so I watched her for some time and she still did not move...not even a nodding of the head nor a flick of her tail....still like a statue.
so now I am wondering ...what the heck..as this went on for some time like in long time...finally she came in the house and when I ask her she said...I was on surveillance... she had our *@#*^ pesky mole under surveillance...this mole has been with us for several years..and we have tried anything and everything that anyone has told us...we even de-grubbed our yard..as they are said to love the grubs..we have tried EVERYTHING...he does not go to the neighbors yard or anyone else yard just unlucky us...
The only thing that would make me happier would be to look out and see Foote putting up "yellow crime scene tape".
redbird
the word writer

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 67
Send Topic Print