Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 67
Send Topic Print
redbird's blog and stories (Read 253692 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
redbird's blog and stories
01/27/11 at 02:48:06

All archived posts (moved from the lefora forum) in this blog are from redbird, unless otherwise noted.

Well I have been invited by Deb to post my little stories and sorta blog here on her site.  I have written little things for a long time hoping to make my fellow masto friends giggle or smile or down right laugh out loud.

I live in Oklahoma and I write about little things I see on our "little farm" or the birds or just what ever the wondering mind is seeing for the day. I will be on soon and I hope that you will enjoy.

redbird

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: redbird's blog and stories
Reply #1 - 01/27/11 at 02:48:57

I wanted to introduce you to our cat Foote who has 5 toes on her front feet. She has always been a outdoor wild cat until last year when the freezing cold came and we let her inFight at the Farm

well I need to let you know that there has been an "all out war" at the farm. Seems that the throw rugs were plotting some kind of invasion and Foote the cat stopped that right in it's tracks.

Yes Foote the "great warrior cat" attacked all of the throw rugs (cannot leave one out) and laid the enemy to rest...and to further show her victory she insisted that she eat on one of them this morning. Dumb me I just thought she wanted to eat on the rug because the tile floor was cold...
Now I was really glad because I had no idea that we were in danger.

Also I must tell you that Foote thinks she is a dog and has become very demanding. When she needs to do her thing she refuses to use the litter box you must let her out just like a dog...and she will follow you thru the house likewise. If you are sitting in a chair and she wants it she will verbally let you know and you better move...who wants a 15 lb cat with 5 toes and long sharp claws in your lap..I am the coward I get up.

Her night sentry duties kinda have the household upset. Her schedule of checking the yard is and ..now since we have coons in the yard at night eating the fallen apples and pears..yup she is right there to keep them out..from her perch on the a/c LOL why get your feet wet in the dew when you can stare them down

Now since she is solid white cat I spoke to her about working a scare job for Halloween and she laughed in my face...I am in control here she says..I just let you live here.
Until next time signing the farm out ...hoping to put a smile on your face

redbird

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 01/27/11 at 02:50:14

(Archived post from original forum - author DeborahW)

LOL! Oh my goodness, redbird, your kitty is hilarious! I would love to see a picture of your sentry guard! She sounds like quite the character. Haa. Too cute.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 01/27/11 at 02:51:31

(Archived post from original forum - author riverwn2)
I want to buy your next book! You had me laughing and spilling my drink LOL.. That cat has got to be something else!
sign me, fan for life Smiley
Ramona

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #4 - 01/27/11 at 02:52:13

Shhhhhh

I am “sitting in my bird watching chair” and watching the birds …my son who is sometimes grumpy nearly always is up early and fills the feeders, water bowls and brings in my paper. ..so I have to give him good marks regardless…and he does take care of me thru sometimes nasty masto attacks.

Now I love watching my birds…they all have their own personalities..however my most favorite is watching my crows.  

Now the crows have been with us for some time…last year I got to watch a nest they build in our front pine trees and got to see the process until they were big and flew away.

Now crows are very smart!! I call my group “the mafia”….another thing is they are hugh.  You would not believe how large they are …first I thought they were ravens compared to the ordinary crow they are large.

Now my crows are hooked up to the satellite system…as soon as they see something new for them to eat...here they come shouting and making it known that this is their spot. They come in a group of 5 to 7…one will stay in the tree or power line as the lookout while the others eat and then down he comes and another one goes up...they like cracked corn but sometimes I cook them macaroni…yup they like it...no cheese please and I use to bake cornbread for all of the birds until the Jiffy boxes became over my budget

I have seen several times that they and Foote have had a show down…I watched wondering how it would end but Foote pretends that she does not see them.  They ignore her as they know they can whip up on her fast.

Well that is my wondering around thoughts for the day.

Much love

redbird

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #5 - 01/27/11 at 02:53:20

(Archived post from original forum - lisathuler author)

Hey Redbird,

I'm putting 10 to 1 on Foote!!!   or more like FOOTE!    (get it?  big foote! hahahaha!)  

Your stories are great!  Nice to have a ringside seat on your porch with you!!   I too enjoy watching birds, but I've not got the time to really keep an eye on them.  But here in Brazil we've got some pretty interesting ones!   One little tiny blackbird, called the Tezzziu - pronounced as you see it spelled is called that because that's the song  it sings.  And while it sings it it hops and then does a flip in mid hop all the while going Tezzziu!   Pretty interesting!   We've got wild parakeets of various kinds and colors as well as yellow headed woodpeckers - who love to come and wake us up early in the morning as they bonk their beaks on the beams supporting our roof, and there are some really pretty raucous sounding birds who will put up such a noise that it's impressive,  But my favorites are the Parrots who fly over head squaking at one another the entire time they fly!  They are always in pairs or 3s if they have a baby along and you can hear them from far off "encouraging" one another as they go!    They are great fun!!  They come in several sizes and yet even though I know they come in various colors, we only have the green ones where I live.   We also get a tucan that flys overhead from time to time!  He's a character and his long beak is what makes him look so funny and plastic because his beak shines when the sun is shining on it!  But he looks like a submarine in the air, so funny shaped he is!!

Here's to the birds!  

Merry Christmas!

Lisa

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 01/27/11 at 02:54:33

(Archived post from original forum - riverwn2 author)
Redbird,
I would love to come sit on the porch with you, have a steaming cup of coffee and a big piece of that hot jiffy bread and watch those birds and Foote have their games in the morning.  I feel happy just imagining  it. I think you and I would get along quite well and laugh at the same things Smiley  I bet 5$ that you have names for some of those birds and you could even tell me who was the God Father of the group LOL.

Lisa, those are some of my favorite birds. I had a boyfriend long ago who had a Conure that would sing to me and give me kisses. He was so smart.  I used to raise Cockatiels, years ago and they kept me amused for hours watching them and teaching them words. One of my favorites would sit on the edge of my plate at dinner time and eat very politely with me.

One of my favorite authors was Eugenia Price. She wrote alot about southern women, and the historical south. She loved to watch woodpeckers and called them "Lord God Birds."

RedBird... do you ever listen to the birds and imagine what they are saying? Sometimes I think I can hear what words they sing, if I listen carefully. SeaGulls.. are very canterous birds. It doesnt matter what you ask them, they always answer Uh Uh..

There are small whitish colored barn Owls here in the woods of north Florida. In Spring they have their yearly courtship competition and the males are hilarious. They sound like monkeys in the trees. They start out slowly "Hoo-Hoo" and gradually get higher in pitch, louder in volume and faster, competing for the female until it sounds like a jungle cacaphony --and they suddenly stop, all worn out.. in 5 minutes it starts again LOL...

In the south we have a joke that country people play on city people. The country boy will tell the city boy, "Im gonna take you snipe hunting." He takes the unaware person to the woods, gives him a stick and says, "Be very quiet or you wont see them." He leaves the person in the woods and goes home to enjoy a cup of coffee and see how long it takes for that person to realize theyve been taken. The angrier that person is, the longer they waited in the woods, the more everyone laughs til they cry.

One of my favorite birds is the Blackbird, cause when Winter is over, you will hear them start to sing before the sun comes up. Its like a gentle alarm clock, very beautiful.

My people are Cherokee and one of the most honored birds among all is the Whipporwill. It was considered the messenger of the Creator and there is a very beautiful love poem about it. John Conley wrote a book based on it and it is one of my favorites, called, "Mountain Windsong: A Novel of the Trail of Tears". If you ever get the chance, read it, its a haunting love story.

Thats it as far as my knowledge of birds LOL.. Redbird Please post more stories...I adore the quirky way you look at life around you and I look forward to your stories so much!!
with great gratitude,
Ramona

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #7 - 01/27/11 at 02:54:58

Oh Lisa...what a treat to have all these wonderful color birds flying overhead and allowing you to see them.
I am glad that you liked my story
redbird

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #8 - 01/27/11 at 02:55:25

Ramona..you never have to wonder what the birds are saying..sometimes they hold up signs
redbird

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #9 - 01/27/11 at 02:56:11

(Archived post from original forum - author riverwn2)

LMAO, I believe you!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #10 - 01/27/11 at 02:56:33

just a thought

Well tomorrow is the big day..so MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY MASTO FREE NEW YEAR to each of you..

I am sure that everyone is scurrying around the kitchen doing those last minute things and being sure that all those special dishes are being made… all the favorites.

At our house we have two dishes that must be on the table or you are in deep trouble. Now they are not anything big or special like Julia Childs or Bobby Flay cooks or even Paula Dean with all that butter but she does make a slam dunk baked peach cobbler…

Our 2 dishes are quiet simple…devil eggs and fruit salad.  Fruit salad at our house is always in danger as each child has to test taste it and the next sentence is …you better not eat any of this it will make you sick…or if you turn you back someone will hide it.

Devil eggs present a little problem.  Will the eggs peel good or bad. Now I have read dozens of ways to be sure that the little peeling job is good…start at the little end…start at the big end…peel under cold water and the list goes on.  Now for all of you I have the perfect solution and I use it each time..sharing this hint with you…boil eggs until you think they are done…put pan in sink and run cold water..start peeling the egg and PRAY…yup it will work..first thing my children on arrival…was this a good egg peeling day or bad.

Now I did not forget the birds.  I had some left over biscuits I threw out to them and suddenly the crows had up a sign saying….where is the strawberry jelly??

Love to all

redbird

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #11 - 01/27/11 at 02:57:25

(Archived post from original forum - author jysmith)
The secret to being able to peel hard-boiled eggs is not to use fresh ones.  They don't peel well at all.  Older ones have shrunk away from the inside of the shell, and they peel easily.  So, buy a carton a week or two ahead of when you need them and all will peel well!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #12 - 01/27/11 at 02:57:51

My thought for the day...

The other day I was thinking...you know that phrase "Where am I"  well I thought about that and I think we need to say  "I am where"...

I am where the days have turned cold and the leaves have fallen
I am where the death of my husband is more in my thoughts that before
I am where there is aloneness
I am where there is pain and uncertain doctors visits.
I am where my bird watching brings me smiles
I am where my neighbors have their Christmas lights up and I enjoy them.
I am where prayers mean so very much to me
I am where I am glad that masto folks know ...the place that I am in

Where are you??
redbird

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #13 - 01/27/11 at 02:58:10

good afternoon

well guess we could say a little something here in regard to getting old.  Yup that is me.  It is interesting getting old you have to be more careful.  Yup you have to check your blouse or shirt to see if you have buttoned it correctly...none of that longer on one side stuff.  And you also need to check the shoes as sometimes you can pick up the not correct pair and people are sure to laugh to see you coming with two different shoes.HOWEVER you can get by with wearing different colored socks...especially if your jeans cover them..  So not only is it hard to just be old now you really have to think.

Now our cat Foote is also getting old however she has now taken it to extremes.  For some reason she is making new demands.  She likes "fast food"  KFC is one of her favorites and she really likes rotisserie chicken.  She prefers Lemon and pepper.  AND now she likes her food delivered.  No longer does she eat in her spot..if she plops down in the garage she must take it to her....and in the sun room and just where ever she wants.  AND she sniffs at it when you sit it down and you know right away you don't have the right thing.  She also insists that you stand by her while she eats...AND FOLKS THIS USE TO BE A OUTSIDE WILD CAT!!  Dumb me I just came back from Wal-Mart on a Sunday because she was out of food...

Now I am thinking that something is wrong with this picture...something is not right.  hummm thinking about having a talk with her but I am afraid that she will ignore me like she does when I call her and she does not want to come in.  I seem to have lost control...but when it thunders and storms she moves like a streak of lighting ...under the bed.
redbird

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #14 - 01/27/11 at 03:00:45

(Archived post from original forum - riverwn2)

I think Foote has a pet--you, lol.. but then it sounds like a delightful arrangment and one full of love and surprises Smiley

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 67
Send Topic Print