Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Update - Too Many Med Changes Can Cause Release of My Mast Cells - Bummer! (Read 6365 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Re: Update - Too Many Med Changes Can Cause Release of My Mast Cells - Bummer!
Reply #15 - 04/10/13 at 05:06:30

Sarah:

Right now, because my bladder pain is intolerable and it is the only thing that works for that specific area, I am taking:

12.5 MG Hydroxyzine HCL in the AM  (this is causing drowsiness)
50.0 MG Hydroxyzine in the PM (causes drowsiness and fatigue)

Zantac 150 MG once before bed

Singulair 10 MG before breakfast

Claritin (10 MG??) before breakfast - will probably drop this.  I think it is doing nothing, but is possibly causing depression.

If Deb the moderator answers my question on the other thread about taking Hydroxyzine HCL along with Allegra, I think my next step for next week is:

Drop the Claritin in the AM
Drop the Hydroxyzine HCL in the AM
Begin the Allegra 180 MG in the AM
Keep the Singulair in the AM.
Keep the Zantac 150 MG before bed.

Yes, I notice I react to many foods: the older I get, the worse this is. It drives my husband crazy because he makes really good meals, and I'll tell him that the smell is making me nauseated, or that my stomach is roiling from eating the food, or that my bladder hurts. It's never ending.

If it is a common, easy food, you can count on the fact that I may react to it.

My husband is probably having a hard time believing that I react to so many things. After all, he doesn't...and it's difficult to "see" a stomach ache. IOW, I look fine.

At this point, I really need to make my own meals and eat very basic stuff.  Maybe the low histamine diet would be a good start?  

Eating out....I can count on stomach problems and feeling poorly since I have no idea what is in a recipe.  But sometimes, while on the road, you just have to eat.  Like when I was at Disney World...I ate some of their food. Also, on long car trips, I haven't found a luncheon food that does not bother me.  The processed meats are bad for me. The ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard are bad.  Yogurt burns my bladder.

Lunch is terrible. There's nothing I can eat as far as I can tell without some problems.

Anyhow, all for now and thanks for the ideas.  I cannot handle removing all foods for now.  Too much going on.  I'll try the Allegra next week.

I was not sure whether I could take the Allegra in the same day as I am taking the Hydroxyzine HCL?  It seems like I would be ODing on antihistamines?

Thanks for any ideas.  I need to be methodical with both the diet and the meds.  I'm getting tired of always "fighting fires" with my stomach and bladder symptoms.  

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Update - Too Many Med Changes Can Cause Release of My Mast Cells - Bummer!
Reply #16 - 04/10/13 at 06:22:36

Hi Futurehope,

You can definitely take the Allegra the same days as the hydroxizine.  Benadryl and hydroxizine are in the same class and I have taken Benadryl and Allegra many times.  It seems like a lot, but it works, and the doctors say it's fine--I asked my cousin who is the head of an ER department and several of my doctors.  I have taken Claritin and it is not strong enough, so maybe that's the same for you.  It REALLY helped me to take the Zantac 3 times daily--I started at 150mg 4 times daily, but now it's 3 times daily and it helps a lot.  Yes, the low histamine diet is wonderful.  If you look at the choices, and you know several of them are your safe foods, you could try eating that for a few days.  I knew plain cereal, milk, and bread were okay, so I started eating cereal and toast for all of my meals.  It was hard, but I knew when I started feeling better, it was working.  I think if you could take the Zantac in the morning and afternoon too, it might help you.  Do you tolerate it well?  By the way, I did not notice the food reactions right away all the time--I would start reacting in the late afternoon when I hadn't eaten anything and would be so confused.  That stopped when I got on the right diet.  This disease works in really strange ways, and seems to be different for everyone.  I hope something works for you soon!!  It is the worst feeling when you are constantly having reactions--it consumes so much of your time and energy.  I really hope you have some luck with trying the medications.  I notice if I forget the Allegra now, I will start feeling crummy.  Let me know how it goes Smiley  Sarah

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print