Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Update - Too Many Med Changes Can Cause Release of My Mast Cells - Bummer! (Read 6361 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Update - Too Many Med Changes Can Cause Release of My Mast Cells - Bummer!
03/26/13 at 10:38:32

My saga:

Dr. Afrin wants me on an H1 2X/day and an H2 2X/day.

I had already been on Hydroxyzine HCL 25 mg 2X/day for years and I want to get off them because the side effect of increase in restless legs is getting intolerable for me, as well as the fatigue and dry mouth.

Dr. Afrin recommended the H1's and H2's to take. I tried and failed.  See my last posting.

I called his office.
His nurse recommended that I take 1 week with any med change since she thinks that the changes are causing mast cells to degranulate.

Great, just great!

Boy, am I a work!!!!  I supposedly have MCAS.  I need to be on an H1 and an H2 2X/day........Yet.......trying to take the recommended meds in order to help myself is a very difficult, symptom-inducing, stress-inducing experience.  I get worse when changing anything.

So, is there hope for me?  

The nurse said that I am supposedly getting my mast cells worked up by introducing too many changes at once, so she gave me some ideas.

I am to wait one week after adding or changing anything.  If I am worse off after the one week experiment, I must discontinue the new med.

She suggested:

Add an H2 1X/day to my current regimen.  Wait one week to see how that goes.

Then substitute Claritin for Hydroxyzine HCL for 1 X/day.  Wait one week and see how that goes.

Etc. Etc.

The goal for me would be to get off my Hydroxyzine HCL all together, and use another H1 blocker....and also to add an H2 blocker 2 X/day to my regimen.

Is there any hope here?  Have others on this forum had to go through the painstaking process of baby steps in order to change meds?

I'm supposed to be helped by meds, yet the meds are causing me to feel terrible.  I am feeling like a hopeless case. Please, tell me this is not unusual and that there is hope for me.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 03/26/13 at 22:59:26 by Futurehope »  

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Update - Too Many Med Changes Can Cause Release of My Mast Cells - Bummer!
Reply #1 - 03/26/13 at 14:50:21

YOU ARE NOT NUTS!!!  I HAVE HEARD OF OTHERS GOING THROUGH THIS!!!  and I THINK THE NURSE IS UNDERSTANDING IT WELL!!!  follow her advice.    GO SLOW!!!   Perhaps you want to stay on the Hixizine and let it calm back down again and redo it with one med a little at a time and THEN wean off of the hixizine once you've been able to add in one of the other meds.    

GO SLOW!!!!

and DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!!   What is the rush?  Are you planning to go to the White House for a ball for the Queen of Sheba or something?   No, so why rush it?!   GO SLOW and give each med a chance.   The anxiety you feel to get this resolved is just enough to trigger you, so GO S.L.O.W.!

Hugs!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #2 - 03/26/13 at 23:11:44

Thanks, Lisa.

The reason I been having anxiety about all this is I have spent a year in Dr. Afrin's care, and a boatload of money to see him.

I have failed at everything he has told me to do up until now......possibly because I have not followed the "go slow" protocol well enough.

I have either taken a new med, and noticed nothing, or taken a new med and felt worse.  So I basically haven't changed much of anything in the past year.

So, my guilty conscience is prodding me on by reminding me of all the time, money and energy I've already used, including dragging my husband along to these doctor visits, and yet I've accomplished nothing in a year.

Well, I have accomplished one very important thing...I have a doctor who "gets it", and totally believes me when I tell him of my flares for which there had been no explanation prior to my MCAS diagnosis.

So, here I am a year later basically back to square one taking baby steps.

I have not understood up until now how sensitive I am to changes of any kind, including meds.

I also cannot wrap my mind around the fact that I "supposedly" need meds to help my condition, even though they can cause flares?! I need them, yet they make me feel worse. No wonder I have been spinning my wheels for a year and had given up on trying anything new.

So, my conclusion after hearing Dr. Afrin last week, and reading all your posts is........YES, I do need more meds, but I am to add them on slowly, waiting between any changes.

It is tough to realize I need more meds, yet they can cause me to feel worse.  At face value, it makes no sense. But, that's how I'm seeing all this right now.

P.S.  And to add insult to injury, if I am having a flare, I'm supposed to take more meds, maybe another Benedryl or Claritin along with an H2.

Well, in my case, at this point, taking more meds is a sure fire way to get me to feel worse, not better, especially since I have not allowed my body to adjust to anything new.  

IOW, there is no set regimen for me to follow as of right now to stop a flare since I have not even obtained homeostasis on a routine basis, let alone during a flare. I need stability in my daily life first.  As of right now, I'm flaring pretty much every day because I am not medicated enough, I suppose. Patience. Patience.  This roller coaster will eventually end.

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/27/13 at 06:07:10

If it makes you feel any better, I've been sick my whole life, disabled (and seeing tons of docs) for eight years, and finally got in to see Dr. Afrin last June, and I'm only now starting on any new meds because I had to methodically test all the ones I was already on!!  AND, while I am on a stable H1/H2 regimen, I have nothing at all that works when I have a flare, which I have regularly, even on my extremely limited diet.  You are definitely not the only one struggling to find meds that help, and some sense of stability.

I haven't seen Dr. Afrin again because I have a great GP here who is helping me and who sees things a bit differently than Dr. Afrin, so I have to consider the advice of both and decide what I want to do.  While Dr. Afrin said to wait a week between changes, my GP suggests two to four weeks between changes, particularly if something is upsetting the apple cart.  I also backed off on any changes while I had the flu back in December, and again when I had family visiting in January.  I knew I couldn't tell if the change made a difference if my body was already dealing with other stresses.  Take that into consideration when deciding when to make changes, and also when evaluating if a change had an effect.  

Think of trying out meds as if you were dating to meet a potential spouse.  If one gives you a horrible reaction right off, well, it's clearly not for you.  If it seems alright, no bad reaction, date it for a while longer, see if it might be a good fit.  You might even want to up the dosage to see if you've got good "chemistry". Eventually you might decide it does nothing for you, but at least you'll have really considered it before you kicked it to the curb.  Then, give yourself a little time between each med to get back to your equilibrium before you jump into the dating pool again.  I know my analogy kind of breaks down when you find one that works and decide to keep it, and then start dating another new one, but hey, go wild!!  Grin  Just make sure you're on an even keel with the old one before you add or remove the next one.

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #4 - 03/27/13 at 14:30:37

Kat,

If you don't mind my asking, how did you methodically test the meds you were already on?  Maybe I need to start from square one.

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #5 - 03/28/13 at 03:13:59

Hope:
you hit one real key point. I take all these meds & I feel worse. I think we all go through this when we are having a flair or in my case a higher pain day. I started ketitofen now 15 months ago, it makes me tireder than gastrocrom & sometimes tough to get out of bed & I think of stepping backwards & going back to gastrocrom then I have to remind myself where was I at 15 months ago. Atleast now I have a few good days, before there was none. With our chronic disease if you don't at sometime question your treatment I don't think your human. We all so want our old selves back, & I've been at this now going on 8 years, but it's hard to accept the fact we are our new selves. In fact with me I don't know if I'll ever accept totally my new self. You are not alone with your struggle. Good luck in your search.
MikeV

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #6 - 03/28/13 at 04:08:04

Mikev,

It helped me to read your post because I realized (again) what kind of disabling, difficult medical problem I have and that I am not alone.

For me, fatigue has been one of my constant problems....so, taking a med that makes it worse seems counterproductive.  

The difficulty for me is that even though the fatigue is one of the issues I would most like to improve, there are other equally bad symptoms I could experience if not medicated enough.

For instance, I will experience debilitating bladder pain (interstitial cysititis) if I decrease my ingestion of Hydroxyzine HCL. Yet this med causes fatigue and drowsiness.  I don't need more fatigue and drowsiness, but experiencing bladder pain is intolerable at any level.

So I am caught between a rock and a hard place.  Don't take the med:experience horrible bladder pain but feel more energetic.  Take the med: decrease the bladder pain, but live with the drowsiness and fatigue.

I am obviously still adjusting to the fact that I am debilitated with this MCAS on a daily basis, and that improvement may or may not happen.  If it does, it will take time and patience.

Maybe I need to go speak with a counselor to help me cope with the stresses of all this? I do not really expect anyone else to understand the difficulties of my daily life unless they were in my shoes. But having this forum to go to is a big help because many of you experience your own difficulties on a routine basis. So, thanks y'all!

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/28/13 at 06:11:56

Hope:
I'm going to go through my whole method of keeping everything straight, as well as my approach to changing doses, as I think it might all be helpful.

In order to keep everything straight, once a week I organize all of my medications for the week ahead.  I lay out all of my meds for a week on the kitchen table and use an individual pill pouch for each day's breakfast, lunch, and dinner pills and then put them in a baggie marked "breakfast", etc.  In a weekly pill box I have antihistamines that I take a half hour or so before meals, and in another I have the pills that I'll put by my bed to take each morning before getting up (including my Synthroid which I have to take an hour before anything else).

By laying out my pills once a week, I also make sure that I make changes on a set schedule, namely when I make up my next week's pills.  I have a spreadsheet that I use to list all of my meds, and across the columns I list the first day of each week.  I then go down the column for this week and enter the dosage of each medicine that I'm taking.  (You can basically copy and paste from one week to the next.)  I then change the color of any cell for which a dosage change is occurring, blue for a decrease and yellow for a increase.  So, if I bump up my aspirin dosage this week, I'll enter the new dosage, and change the color of the cell to yellow.  This way I can look across the spreadsheet and easily see what I've been changing when.  (I also keep a daily log of vitals and symptoms so that I can spot long term trends or make connections between things.)

Now, changing my existing meds was based on a recommendation from Dr. Afrin, and I did it fairly slowly, reducing the dosage on one and only one each week (or two or three weeks if I felt something happened that prevented me from telling if it made a difference).  I continued to reduce the dosage until I was off the med.  For a few, like licorice root, within two weeks my blood pressure dropped to 90's over 60's (and lower), so I added that back in, again waiting a few weeks for everything to go back to where it was before I changed the next thing.  Others I noticed no difference and left them out.  

For one of my prescription meds, Plaquenil, I asked the Dr. who prescribed it and he said I could just stop taking it rather than tapering, but that it would take six weeks for it to completely leave my system.  Thus, I had no changes to meds for over six weeks while I was waiting to see how things went.  That was a tough one because I did have more pain without it, but I decided to stay off of it anyway because I wanted to see if the new meds I would be trying would help with the pain.

I hope that explanation made sense and was helpful.  I've had to do everything in a very structured way because otherwise I mess things up or can't remember what's going on.  Even with all of this, I still sometimes take lunch pills instead of dinner ones, or forget some all together!!

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/28/13 at 06:18:34

Something else I just thought of in reducing meds (or adding meds).  Some meds have what is called a rebound effect after you stop taking them.  What happens is you'll feel like your symptoms are getting worse when you stop the med, but then your body will even back out.  For instance, when I stopped taking Restasis for my dry eyes I found them to be really bad during the first week, but once I was off of the Restasis for two weeks they were much better and I felt ready to try ketotiphen drops instead of Restasis.   Same thing sometimes happens when you try a new med or increase the dosage.  It's good to research this or ask the doctor about it, so that you know what to expect and can give the new med or absence of the med a fair trial.

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #9 - 03/28/13 at 08:26:18

Kat,
Wow!  This sounds so labor intensive especially since I'll have to teach myself how to use the EXCEL spreadsheet. ETA:  I figured out EXCEL and made a spreadsheet. Done!

I do the same thing with my Synthroid that you do.  I have a separate weekly pillbox that sits right by my bed with water so I can take the pill on an empty stomach immediately upon awakening. I also have a different container for my PPI to be taken before meals, and a large weekly set of medicine holders with 4 slots/day for AM, Mid Morning, Night, Before Bed or whatever the designation is.

Kat, are you doing any testing or experimenting with foods in all of this? Just wondering.
Personally, it is difficult enough to do the meds.  I'd rather not worry too much about foods unless I have an obvious reaction.

Also, I'm noticing emotional stress causes flares, so if I am feeling worse it becomes really difficult to know if it is being caused by an external stressor, or a medicine?!  Undecided

On a different note, after many years of getting really strange thyroid testing results where my TSH was all over the place, FT3 was low, and FT4 was high,  I finally am happy with my numbers.  My TSH is 1. ? My FT4 is a bit high on the scale, but I don't care, and my FT3 is in the middle. Yay!! I have no idea what changed.  I hope all the med changes do not impact that.

You are so generous for typing out your ideas.

And, yes, there definitely can be a rebound effect when decreasing med dosing.  When I decrease the Hydroxyzine HCL, I can count on more nervousness and insomnia.
« Last Edit: 03/28/13 at 09:58:58 by Futurehope »  

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/28/13 at 11:33:04

Go you with the Excel!!!  I would have offered to send you mine, but you figured out that it's really straightforward.  I would play around with the "split screen" function so that you can have your column of drugs "frozen" on the left while you can scroll through the weeks on the right...not a necessity, but it is handy once you've got weeks and weeks worth of info.

Experimenting with foods: YES!!!!  My GI issues have gotten worse over the past two years to the point that they are often my most debilitating problems.  I was dropping weight like crazy because I was nauseous and scared to eat anything for fear of feeling worse, even though I was starving.  I basically eliminated anything that the histamine diet said might be a problem and anything I seemed to react to.  AND I'm a vegetarian.  I now have a pretty small list of things that I can eat, but I at least have times now when I'm stable enough that I can try a new food and see if it bothers me or not.  I'd be happy to post here or email you my list of "safe" foods, which of course may well be different from yours.  (Heck, mine has changed over time.)

I think it's really important to be on as strict a diet as necessary to get your symptoms at least somewhat under control.  It sure helps you cope with everything else.  

Emotional stress is a HUGE trigger for me also.  I had one of my worst pseudo-anaphylactic reactions entirely because I was feeling really pressured to make a decision about visiting the in-laws.  If this happens, know that you might have to wait another week before deciding on any med changes because you had interference with your experiment.  If you haven't had anything going on that you can really put your finger on, then you can attribute it to the meds.  If you go for two weeks feeling worse than usual, I'd say you could attribute that to the meds.  Use your best judgement, which I know is hard to do.

The meds may impact your thyroid a bit, according to what Dr. Afrin has said, but if anything, it'll just make it more stable and maybe require less replacement.  Mine has been relatively stable for years, and I don't think any of the meds have affected it.

Another thing on all of these antihistamines:  Treat a change in manufacturer as if were a change in drug, so that if you try out a generic version of something, isolate that change to see how it affects you.  Be really careful to read the ingredient lists on any generics (and even name brands).  I've stuck to name brand Allegra and Zantac (buy them cheaper at Sam's or Costco) because they have iron oxide colorants rather than dyes.  I have also noticed a difference in effectiveness between name brand and generics.

And my personal opinion: I'd go with Allegra, not Claritin.  I went with Claritin first and got no help, and based on what everyone here had written, I went with Allegra and haven't turned back.

I think you're getting the idea on all of this, and I know it can be daunting, but it is necessary to work through methodically in order to figure out what will help you.  You are definitely not alone in your struggles.

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #11 - 03/28/13 at 13:29:08

Hey, Kat...

I would like to see your list of safe foods.  Just curious.

BTW, I'm in MD as well..near Baltimore....though we're in the process of eventually moving to Florida. Probably in 1 1/2 years the move will be permanent .  There's always the stress associated with a major relocation. Such is life but I am looking forward to it

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/28/13 at 15:35:39

My current list of "safe" foods, though during a flare nothing is really safe and I cut back to oatmeal and white bread and butter...

Organic Maple-Nut Oatmeal
Plain Bagel
White Bread
Butter
Cream Cheese
Egg whites
Black beans
No Yolks Egg Noodles
White rice
Lentil Crackers
Lentils
Plain pasta
Cucumber
Peas (regular, sugar snap and snow)
Zucchinni & yellow squash
Apples (Applesuce)
Citrus fruits
Olive oil
Brownies (from scratch) and similar baked goods
Ginger snaps (especially gluten-free)
Fresh head lettuce (not from a bag)
Gold potatoes
Organic heirloom-wheat ramen noodles (ginger/lemongrass)
Maple syrup & honey
Most herbs (NO spices)

I can generally tolerate (and supplement my diet with) Luna Bars (Lemon Zest and Peppermint/Chocolate) and Mojo Bars (Chocolate coconut and white chocolate macadamia)

Brownies were a big surprise.  I ate them thinking I wanted one and didn't care if I got sick...and I didn't get sick!  They are a staple in my diet now.  I don't know why I can do some dairy products and not others, but butter and cream cheese work well for me at the moment.

Feel free to ask me about specific name brands if you want to try some of these.  Lots of trial and error to find foods that are less likely to trigger but that still have some nutritional value!

Funny, but we're currently considering moving to Jacksonville, Fl.  I don't think I can take the heat farther south than that (and will likely have to go somewhere in the summer months as it is).  I really don't want to leave my GP behind, but she does telemed appointments, so I can possibly still see her while looking for a new doc!  I just want to live somewhere where I don't have to make a 10-15 minute drive (that I generally can't do) to get to things.

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #13 - 04/01/13 at 04:09:24

Thanks so much, Kat.

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 04/10/13 at 04:36:50

Hi Futurehope,

I hope I can help a little.  I am fairly new to all of this (last 2 years) and am diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis and Mast Cell Activation Disease vs Mast Cell Hyperreactivity just recently at the Mayo Clinic.  I also have PSVT (where my heart goes into a very fast rhythm for unknown reasons, but it's probably related to mast cell activity).  I had a severe food reaction in November (my 5th one) and it took me 2-3 months for me to feel somewhat normal again.  I agree with Kat completely that the diet is the most important thing to help you feel normal.  I thought I was eating the right foods for me, and wondering why I still had to take Benadryl every afternoon or evening.  I started the low histamine diet (strict) and started feeling better almost instantly.  Once I started feeling better after about 4 weeks, I started adding different foods in small amounts.  I eat a similar diet to Kat--it gets boring, but it works.  I can have bread, butter, olive oil, mushrooms, peas, beans, potatoes, peanut butter, cookies,  milk, cereal without food coloring, bananas, and some chocolate.  I absolutely cannot go out to eat ever.  I couldn't cook for 3 months because the smells made me react.  I take the Walmart ranitidine (Zantac) even with the red dye in it.  ( I take 150 mg three times/day for both diseases--I started with 75mg tabs and I ate food with it). The brand name Zantac bothers me--upset stomach.  I also take name brand Allegra (I started with half of one in the mornings, then went up to the whole one after about 2 weeks).  I rarely need the Benadryl now, but even 1 teaspoon helps me if I start feeling "jittery."  It helped me to distract myself after I started taking the new meds.  I would talk on the phone, or clean my house so I didn't think about reacting to them.  It worked for me, and I knew if something was really bothering me.  I took the Zantac for about 3 weeks (gradually increasing the dose), before I added the Allegra.  I was wondering if you can take Benadryl without problems, and if you take the hydroxizine at night?  What else are you on if you don't mind me asking?  I hope you have had some progress in taking the meds.  Good luck with everything and I hope you are feeling better Smiley  Sarah

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print