Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Vitamins (Read 10742 times)
Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Re: Vitamins
Reply #15 - 07/20/11 at 07:12:48

Is there a good time of day to take calcium supplement
And does it interact with any antihistamines ect
My husband takes levoxyl for his thyroid first thing in the morning and I know you have to be careful about taking that alone so the body can fully absorb it.

Patricia

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #16 - 07/20/11 at 07:23:24

Antihistamines don't interact with calcium, so no worries there.  In fact, calcium is helpful for instant relief from heartburn while you're waiting for an H2 antihistamine to kick in.  That's how Pepcid Complete works.  I'm on thyroid hormones too (Synthroid), so I make sure I don't take any calcium until lunchtime.

BTW... your body can only absorb about 500mg of calcium at a time.  If you need more than that it's best to space out the doses.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #17 - 07/20/11 at 08:25:44

Thanks so much, he had a bone density scan that showed ostepoenia...we go in tomorrow morning to talk to the orthopedic.
He also will tell us the results of an MRI he had done on his elbow and shulder because of the terrble tendinitis inflammation he has.

Praying that there's no major damage!
Thanks again!
Patricia

Patricia

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #18 - 07/20/11 at 16:05:21

Patricia,

Does your husband show any positive autoimmune markers?  My reason for asking is because my son has masto and he has autoimmune markers within the rheumatoid arthritis area.  His markers are very vague and they can't diagnose Rheumatoid arthritis, so we know by this that his autoimmune issues are not a separate disease, but part of his mastocytosis.  Yet, this is where he shows his activity - with the connective tissues.  Whereas my markers are generalized autoimmune markers and this is where I show my activity.

Due to the fact that they have yet to draw the profile of the autoimmune masto patient, the researchers have no idea of how this works and how the patients present nor how the disease behaves and affects us.  We can only draw theories.  

But from looking at my son's case and my own, from what we can figure, the disease doesn't cause "mastocytosis" of those tissues, but this is where it creates inflammation instead.  It seems to me that the autoimmune element of masto gives us patients a double whammy in that those of us who are proven clonal not only have the proliferation of the MCs where they usually will proliferate, but there is also the autoimmune activity affecting that specific region in which it is showing the markers.  

So, I would suggest that you get a rheumatologist to do a full, thorough workup of your husband and try to see what may be happening there.

Another suggesting is that of the ketotifen.  My son has been on the ketotifen for about 2 months and he's feeling DEFINITE benefits from it!  His joints are not so loose, they are not hurting as much and his ANA test  improved going from a 1:320 to a 1:80!!!   It's confirmation that the Ketotifen is WORKING!!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #19 - 07/20/11 at 16:50:45

Thanks so much for your replay...yes my husband has a series of autoimmune disorders going on. His ANA was 1.2, he has hashimotos, his IgE are in the 10,000 to 14,000 range. His STAT 3 gene was neg for hyper IgE syndrome. His inflammatory or RA markers were negative and we saw a rheuamatplogist at NIH who didn't think he had RA and they ultra sounded his elbow ect and it showed connective tissue and tendon inflammation.
I worry that RA could be there or starting to emerge and want to make sure it's controlled or doesn't cause further damage to his joints.

My husband had hpilori 10 years ago that took a long time to clear up and he had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics so he was only to take the PPI. I often wonder if  this infection that was never properly healed somehow caused his immune system to start making these IgE antibodies. Creating an overactive immune system...

The mast cell stuff combined with autoimmune issues makes the situation even more difficult to manage or control!

My husband started ketotifen (4mg in the evening) in January and it has been a huge help. He still has GI problems and the tendon pain is a real downer, the extreme heat makes it worse. We recently switched his am meds from claratin to allegra and wow what a difference! Way more energy! It took him a couple days to adjust...it was like he swallowed speed or something! It was awesome to have 3 days with him where he felt normal and had energy. We probably over did it and on day 4 his stomach gave out for unknown reasons but he managed to recover pretty quickly.

Oh my sister in law has MCAD with IgE 150, hashimotots, raynauds...father in law tryptase 55, IgE 150, ANA 1.4, hashimotos, gout, colon cancer survivor.
Both our daughters have elevated tryptase 20 and 28, IgE 350 -1650 range, and one of them has a positive ANA 1.

It's a doozy and in our family theres definitely a genetic component...

Patricia

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #20 - 07/26/11 at 14:10:17

New research comig out on vitamin D.  Very interesting stuff.  Seems to have a role with inflammation, and some cancers.  Can't wait to hear more about this one!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print