Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Vitamins (Read 10741 times)
nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Vitamins
03/31/11 at 03:53:52

Well it appears that I have very low Vit D levels (testing conducted) and my dr. advised me to start taking Vit D3 and due to osteopenia I was also advised to start taking Calcium.  Like many patients, I react anaphylactically (not sure if it's a word) to fish. Many, many supp especially Vit D contain fish oil/omegas.  Do any of you with fish allergies take Vit D or Calcium without fish ingredients.  I'm also allergic to nuts/peanuts so it would have to be void of that as well. Thanks All!

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Re: Vitamins
Reply #1 - 03/31/11 at 05:19:55

Hi Nik ,

With your allergies I would be inclined to ask for pharmauctical grade vitamin d and calcium . This is a clear route that you can check for clean products completely free of any potentially serious contaminants for you There are products here in the UK . I am having a tried day and can't remember where you live . I will get the name of the product in case you want to order it from a british pharmacy online ,

Its a mixture of vitamin d and calcium in one product Wink

Josie

From British national formulary , UK , Doctors prescribing bible ( available free online ) Book and site updated every 6 months . This is from most recant march 2011

Calcium and Ergocalciferol (Non-proprietary)
     (Calcium and Vitamin D)
     Tablets, calcium lactate 300 mg, calcium phosphate 150 mg (calcium 97 mg or Ca2+ 2.4 mmol), ergocalciferol 10 micrograms (400 units). Net price 28-tab pack = £7.10. Counselling, crush before administration or may be chewed

I can get a list of generic companies that make it , if you wanted to check details . It is pharmacautical grade vit d and calcium .

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/31/11 at 05:32:46

Sorry , another thought . Has you parathyroid hormone level been checked ? As it controls calcium uptake . I posted before in shawnas hello in the introducing yourself section Wink

Josie

IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 03/31/11 at 07:45:59

Thanks Josie for the feedback. I am in the U.S. (Michigan) and am interested in the names of the generic companies if you have them. Thanks so much.

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/31/11 at 09:20:08

Hi Nik .

I will get details from my pharmacist tomorrow xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thanks
Josie

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 03/31/11 at 11:17:11

A supplement manufacturer called "Natural Factors" has a vitamin D3 supplement made from lanolin and in a flax oil base.  (I'm sure there are others, too.)  This is the NF website, and their product is on this page if you scroll down:

http://us.naturalfactors.com/search.asp?mode=cat&cat=18

Joan

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 03/31/11 at 11:18:32

....And you might want to call them and make sure about the ingredients and that it's not processed in a plant that makes anything with fish oil or other things you're sensitive to.

Joan

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/01/11 at 04:15:50

Hi Nik ,

2 UK pharmacies for you which supply the ergocalciferol and calcium I told you about . These are trusted by my pharmacist .

Actavis UK LTD - www.actavis.co.uk

Kent pharmaceuticals - www.kentpharm.co.uk

I haven't contacted them about your sensitivities so can't say regards those . They supply generics to pharmacies here in the UK and have contact points on the websites i had a quick look at Wink
I hope this helps Wink
Josie

IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 04/01/11 at 08:49:50

Wow!  Thanks so much. I really appreciate all your help.

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 04/03/11 at 17:30:49

HI! I also am in the very low D category, I'm currently on 10,000 mg a day and react horribly to so many things including vitamins and fish! I'm tolerating Thorne vit D3, 5000 mg vegi caps. Here's a link to the site
http://www.thorne.com/Products/Vitamins/prd~D138.jsp
I use them, allergy research group, complementary prescriptions, I really really need to get to finding a calcium, I guess I'm going to try thorne. I've been on a horribly restricted diet for 20+ years and the vitamins I take are addressing survival issues currently. Ive rejected so much that I'm never quite up to testing more, but calcium at this point I really need to concentrate on. So thanks for bringing this up! When I looked up the web address for you it got me to looking up calciums again.

IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 04/04/11 at 00:37:59

Thanks. I will look up Thorne. Do you have specific food allergies that you need to be careful of?

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 05/20/11 at 13:22:06

Just another note on the vitamins.  I found out that I have a nickel allergy.  It's actually kind of hard to find vitamins without nickel in them.  I found one kind of basic multivitamin from CVS.

IP Logged

Ccc
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 07/12/11 at 14:02:05

D2 is not found in the body, D3 is.  Heany et al. Dec/10 found D3 to be the better product.  You can also get 10 minutes of noontime sun on your legs and tummy and produce a ton of Vit D from cholesterol in your skin April thru October )  Protect areas that are regularly exposed to the sun as the net sun effects are cumulative.

Allergy Research Group is reputable.  Carlson's is a good company but Allergy Research and there us another one... PM me and I can give you the name of a mail-order outfit carry varying hypo-allergenic products that practitioners use.

For bone integrity, one serving of green leafy vegetables will provide the trace vitamins /minerals you need to optimally make use of Vit D & Calcium.  Otherwise, be sure to have some magnesium on board... As well as boron , etc

The body can make use of  no more than 500 mg at a time.  If you have a very high fiber diet, it will make it more difficult to absorb.  

Vibration technology is hitting the main stream. It reverses osteoporosis in post-menopausal women.  It was originally developed for re-entering astronauts afterong space journeys.  It sounds too good to be true but it does work.  It's currently used by professional sports teams and large university athletic departments.  I have not found them used commonly in rehab.  Some wellness ctrs have them and fitness trainers.  They cost anywhere from 3,000-6,000 to purchase a home model.  So finding a place that one might be cost effective.  You need to be careful to find a reputable product.  Right now there are some companies selling side to side and up and down motion.  Side to side is no good.  Up & down is  correct.  If it's cheap, it probably isn't worth it... At this time.  The patent will be up next year so it will be interesting to see what happens with the price.

Please be aware the you want your Vit D levels to be above 50ng/ml.  Your MD should be able to do this therapeutically with monitoring.

As one poster said, you should have a full panel to try to find another reason for the osteopenia.  That should always be done before starting.  Get a consult with an endocrinologist specializing in bone metabolism.  Just one visit and then you can return to your PCP . The endo will do a better manual exam than the MD and you'll have someone to consult with later if needed.

Both my daughter and I have been treated therapeutically with Vit D. After a year, we found that our allergy and asthma symptoms were so much better. Our immunologist said they are starting to see these reductions with higher serum Vit D levels.

I have bone issues so I've been at this a while.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #13 - 07/13/11 at 08:01:50

In regard to vibration therapy, that is probably not the best idea for mast cell disease patients. Vibration is a common trigger for mast cell degranulation. So I would not advise jumping on that practice.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Ccc
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 07/13/11 at 11:27:29

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print