Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
If Taking Many Antihistamines - What Do You Take When You Have a Cold? (Read 3143 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
If Taking Many Antihistamines - What Do You Take When You Have a Cold?
10/30/13 at 14:34:39

For people already on more antihistamines than the average person, what do MCAS people take when the symptoms of a cold occur?

I am not sick, and pray I don't become sick.  I was curious about people handle this situation when it occurs?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: If Taking Many Antihistamines - What Do You Take When You Have a Cold?
Reply #1 - 10/30/13 at 15:02:07

I find mucinex helpful for runny/stuffy misery.  I don't buy any OTC medications that are mixed with antihistamines or acetaminophen... especially acetaminophen, since an overdose is so dangerous.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

frugalmama
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 11/11/13 at 08:10:14

Before I was diagnosed (and put on antihistamines) I had been pregnant/nursing for about 5.5 years and couldn't take any medications.  I treated colds and such with saline nose spray, especially when symptoms first started to come on (runny, itchy nose or sneezing, etc.). It's amazing what a difference it made in the severity of symptoms!

IP Logged

frugalmama
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 11/11/13 at 08:18:57

Before I was diagnosed (and put on antihistamines) I had been pregnant/nursing for about 5.5 years and couldn't take any medications.  I treated colds and such with saline nose spray, especially when symptoms first started to come on (runny, itchy nose or sneezing, etc.). It's amazing what a difference it made in the severity of symptoms!

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 11/12/13 at 13:11:51

I ride it out. Having to take so many meds for the allergies for so long I never want to take anything else. Perhaps to a fault. I've had excruciating pain and my husband will have to force me to take Tylenol and I still don't want to....part of it is I don't want more chemicals in my system; part of it is I don't want a chance to react to the medication.

So hot organic soup from scratch for me for colds Smiley

Get well soon.

IP Logged

shabrans
Tutor

Reply #5 - 11/18/13 at 14:40:02

I drink chamomile tea , or warm water with a little citric acid and maple syrup( closest thing to lemon and honey I can do). I did find an interesting online cough remedy that helped with my last cold. Mind you while sal sensitive I can tolerate a moderate amount .If you cant dont do this. Cut an onion pour few tablespoins of maple syrup over this- can add garlic as well. Leave in container overnightish and just use the juice as a cough syrup. I know it sounds horrible but is actually not that bad.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #6 - 11/21/13 at 06:49:27

A quick caution about chamomile tea... if you're allergic to ragweed (I am), you might want to avoid it, especially when you're already flaring from something else. Chamomile is closely related to ragweed.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

legd
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 11/21/13 at 07:31:14

Explains why i react to Chamomile -- it's never been very relaxing for me! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print