Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Here and Lost (Read 6317 times)
DavinaRN
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

New Here and Lost
01/16/13 at 10:30:05

Quick background...the family joke is that I need a bubble to live in. My DS21 says he is more surprised when I feel great as opposed to bad. In Oct 2012, I had enough every time I ate wheat, I felt sick. It was easier to have low blood sugar than eating a pack of crackers. Celiac blood work was negative, so I moved forward assuming non-celiac gluten intolerance. So I have been gluten free since October 19, except for accidents. Then on December 26, I ate out and before finishing eating I knew I had been cross contaminated. It started out normal (nausea, abdominal pain, feeling need for bathroom). Within an hour it progressed to blood red itching palms, dizzy, seeing black spots, "D", feeling as if couldn't make it out of book store. Took 50mg Benadryl.  Within 40min, I was red head to toe, broke out head to toe and couldn't breath so I used my epi-pen (allergic to bees) and headed to ER. On January 11, I saw an allergy doctor. Out of 119 foods I'm not allergic to any!  Not even wheat. This is the point where he told me I need blood work and 24hr urine testing due to mast cell activation disorder, mastocytosis or idiopathic anaphylactic. He started me on Zantac 300mg and Allegra 360mg each day and told me I could eat whatever I wanted. I ate out Saturday (took Zantac only in am) ordered what I have safely eaten before but felt the tummy issues (very manageable level) before finished eating but within hour itching so I took the Allegra and itching was gone in 30 min. Within the past hr, I had some safe soup but I added three saltines. Before I finished I felt tummy issues and now I'm itching (not as bad as Saturday). I am now taking both the Zantac and allerga in am.

I am scheduled to go back to dr March 8. I'll have blood work (trypase, c4, tsh, thyroid AB, sed rate,Chroni laticori index? Alpha-gal?) and drop off the urine (VMA, HVA, 5-HIAA, metanephrine) in the morning. Sorry had to guess at a couple of those couldn't read the writing. He did give me 12 refills on the meds.  

Any input will be greatly appreciated. I only remember mast cell deal with allergies from school  Cry

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: New Here and Lost
Reply #1 - 01/16/13 at 16:04:16

Hi Davina,

I'm going to try to PM you my reply, because it won't post for some reason!

Well, that didn't work either!  The computer doesn't like my post, I guess!  I'll try to get it posted another way.....

Joan

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 01/17/13 at 01:32:15

Hi Davina,

It sounds like you have a pretty good allergist!  That's an excellent batch of tests to start with.

True (IgE) allergies are no more common in mast cell patients than they are in the general population, however... lots of things can be "triggers" for us that don't show up on allergy tests.  Also, when you're eating a meal there are a couple of other triggers to consider: heat (my first big attack was caused by a cup of tea followed by a large bowl of soup) and also the mechanical action of your GI system.  As you probably know, even "normal" people have tons of mast cells in their GI system.  They're a very important part of the immune system, but when you have too many and/or they're trigger happy, well... the simple action of food moving through your system can set them off.

I stopped having big (go the ER) attacks when I started taking antihistamines on a daily basis.  I also take oral cromolyn sodium, Singulair (even though I don't have asthma), and some vitamins including C and B6.  There are lots of medication lists on this website.  You've probably been looking around already, but it's good to educate yourself before your next appointment!  I've had to nudge most of my doctors in the right direction.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

DavinaRN
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/18/13 at 14:27:56

Heather- I saw in a post from you back in 2011 that you don't have protein in your urine anymore. Can I ask if this relates to MCAS and if so how?  The reason I ask is I have had it show up periodically but when we retest its gone, but just shows up later.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #4 - 01/18/13 at 15:27:48

Hi Davina,

I've had small amounts of protein show up from time to time... and then (just like you experienced) it goes away.  I'm not diabetic and there's nothing else to attribute this to.  I'm 99% sure it's MCAS-related.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 01/20/13 at 04:00:41

Hi Davina and welcome to the board!! Im sorry its been so dificult on you--but then, that is how we all find ourselves here isnt it? Your feeling of cross contaminated food, I dont think was right--because most of us who react in that situation do it because our "barrels are full", meaning we have ate too many of the wrong foods with high histamine levels and now they triggered an avalanche of reacting. All your symptoms are symptoms of mast cells exploding in misbehaving.

I believe the protein in the urine issue is caused by mast cells effecting my kidneys. When I have trouble (UTIs), my labs will say ,"malabsorption syndrome, protein deficiency." Just my theory.

Your allergist was spot on with his tests and meds--but was wrong when he "told me I could eat whatever I wanted". You need a low histamine diet here and remember--leftovers are higher in histamine, so freeze whatever you want to eat later.

You are so very close to full out reaction when this is happening so easily and so frequently. You need to ramp up those meds (More meds and more frequently). My suggestions (talk these over with your doctor)--take that Zantac twice a day, add another antihistamine, like maybe zyrtec, claritan, vistaril--any of these or meds like them. You might need to take the allegra twice a day but I would start the other antihistamines first before you try that.

You are doing great in medicating yourself "rescue med" wise, when needed. We just need to get your basic symptoms under control, so you dont need to be "rescued" all the time. You need to do A LOT of reading here and start your diary of food/med/activity level/reaction.

Thats a huge amount to accomplish so I will end here and just say again, that it is so good to have you here!
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

DavinaRN
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 01/20/13 at 04:25:15

Thanks Romana. Off to look up the diet, hmmm wonder if I can lose weight on it Wink

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #7 - 01/20/13 at 14:35:35

I wonder if your doctor means that you should take the Zantac (300 mg) twice a day and the Allegra (180 mg) twice a day also? Most of us take antihistamines in the morning and the evening. If you read my intro story, you will see how ill I originally was. Just taking Zantac (300 mg) twice a day and Allegra in the morning and Zyrtec (10 mg) in the evening fixed me! (Of course, I also avoid triggers and changed my lifestyle, but the meds are hugely important.)

Since you have seen that your Zantac and Allegra are making you feel much better, you might consider trying them in the early evening as well. I take mine at 7 or 8 am and then again at 4 pm. My doctor (Dr. Akin) had found good success with his patients taking zyrtec once a day and allegra once a day rather than zyrtec twice/day or allegra twice/day. So, I take Zantac and Allegra in the morning and Zantac and Zyrtec at 4 pm. Like you, I took 300 mg Zantac each time. Now, several years later, I am so much better that I was able to reduce it to 150 mg Zantac twice/day.

If I get ill before 4 pm, my doc told me to try another med (the opposite of what I took in the morning), so I would take a zyrtec. If I were to get ill in the afternoon or evening, I would take the opposite of my evening med and I would take an Allegra. That is what people mean here when we refer to taking our "extra med" when headed toward an attack.

So, there is some info for you to mull over. Bottom line is that probably all of us who take meds take them twice/day, and it works so much better than if it were just once/day.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DavinaRN
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 01/20/13 at 14:44:20

It was once a day. The Zantac is a 300mg capsule. I saw on here after I had a grilled turkey and Swiss sandwich (gluten free bread) that cheese can be a trigger.  I reacted with nausea and itching, so I medicated with Pepcid and 1/2 a Benadryl (had my grandson so had to stay awake) If its a fat free American sliced cheese, would that be okay?

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #9 - 01/20/13 at 16:23:48

Oh, everyone reacts to different foods. I can eat tons of different cheeses just fine, yet I can't eat so many other things. I CANNOT eat turkey or steak, however, or I get very ill!

I know that Lisa can eat anything, and I would just be so sick if I ate what she could. So, there is no telling. All you can do is to keep a food diary and log what you ate and how you felt afterwards. This will help you identify your safe foods.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #10 - 01/20/13 at 20:24:55

I just read that swiss cheese is a mast cell degranulator!  I don't know how it's different from other cheeses, but it must be the culture used to make it.  The bottom line is, if you react to it, don't eat it again for a while.

Also, when you're trying a food to see if you'll react, start very small.  Someone suggested placing a piece of something you're testing between your lip or cheek and your teeth.  If it tingles or you feel a reaction, then don't swallow it and avoid it in the future.

Aged cheese is supposed to be avoided on a histamine-free diet.  Fresh mozzarella seems to be tolerated by a lot of people.  Good to read labels and avoid additives until you figure out your triggers.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print