Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Newbie but already responded : ) (Read 17456 times)
MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Newbie but already responded : )
10/22/12 at 16:21:07

Hi All,

Many of you know me already from other message boards. It's good to see some familiar names here. : )

I'm xchocoholic at Pheonix Rising and Tryinglowoxalate, Dizzysillyak at Dinet and GFCanary at GlutenFreeandBeyond.  I'm hoping this is the last forum I'll need to join. Lol.

I've been on a healing journey since 2005 and the internet has been my best
source of info. But the testing provided by my integrative doctor has provided me with many of the answers to why I'm disabled. A thread started by a member here on Dinet is what brought me here.

I've been totally disabled with ME/CFS since 1990. I tried the traditional medical route, drugs, and only got worse. In 2005, it appears that I became a celiac and was unable to keep food in me.

The elimination diet I  started in June 2005, made such a difference in how I felt that I just couldn't stop reading everything I could find on health. My background is computers and math so I even had to watch anatomy class dvds from my library. Lol.

I made quite a bit of progress from 2005 - 2012, via diet and testing and treatments provided by my integrative doctor. I've had a few new diagnosises to add to my list too tho.  I'm 57 tho.

But I was still mostly supine from dysautonomia / pots for the last few years. I had chronic pelvic pain that I thought was connected to oxalates. And new symptom, throat swelling, showed up in 2011.

Since starting my homegrown mc protocal, Wal-zyr several times a day and Children's Benadryl plus Allegra at nite, my dysautonomia and pelvic pain have been reduced significantly.  And my throat swelling was better until I tried eating bbq sauce.  Roll Eyes

I can see from hanging out here and on other forum mast cell threads that I have a very long way to go before understanding how this works. I feel so lucky to
be able to benefit from those who post their experiences and educational info on these forums. Thanks ..

My hope is to get a handle on this so I can move forward with getting a proper diagnosis. I have multiple diagnosises that I'm hoping respond to this protocal.

Thanks for reading this. It's good to be here.. Sincerely, MarciaB

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Newbie but already responded : )
Reply #1 - 10/22/12 at 16:23:45

Welcome!! So glad that you found us! There are so many knowledgeable and helpful people here. Please feel free to chat and ask questions anytime!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #2 - 10/22/12 at 16:32:07

Thanks Debbie. And thanks for creating this forum.

I'm still overwhelmed by how complex mast cells are so I'll mostly be reading for awhile. I appreciate the support I received to my emergency question.  

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone. Tc .. M

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #3 - 10/22/12 at 18:24:36

Nice to see you here too Marcia! I hope you can get into see a mast cell doc to optimize your health Smiley

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #4 - 10/22/12 at 23:59:43

Thanks anaphylaxing. Good to see you here too.  

After my episode of throat and tongue swelling last Saturday, while on the meds I chose, I'm eager to get on the correct meds for me.

I have to say I'm loving what I've seen so far. I went swimsuit shopping with a freind yesterday and didn't need to lay down the whole time.    Cool

She's used
to me finding a room with a bench or just laying on the floor for 15 minutes at a time several times while shopping. I still have hypoperfusion and can feel it when I lay down but the overwhelming need to lay down rarely show up now.

Btw. Sears has swimwear for $1.99 right now. Regularly $24 - 48. I live in Fl so
I bought 7 pieces.

Tc .. M

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #5 - 10/23/12 at 05:42:28

Marcia,
Welcome, I am glad you found us!  A couple of things stood out to me in your intro. You should look into IC.  Interstitial Cystitis/Painful Bladder Syndrome is caused by...drumroll please...Mast cells!!  I had this and it was misdiagnosed as a kidney stone, as the pain can radiate to the kidneys.
BBQ is so tasty and so bad for those of us with mast cell issues!  Probably about 90% of the ingredients are mast cell degranulators, meaning they are true trouble makers!!
Sounds like you are on the right path and good luck as you continue to heal!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #6 - 10/23/12 at 08:42:35

Thanks pam,

Sorry to hear you're dealing with all this too. Are the treatments helping you ? If so, which ones ? Wal-zyr  zyrtec, seems to help me the most pain wise. But Benadryl stops my swelling.

I'm pretty sure I have irritable bladder but I'm not sure if that's the same as ic.
My bladder burns if I take roboflavin tho.  And I leak if have too much coffee. Could be the caffeine but at this point I can only relate it to coffee.

Before I went on the elimination diet, my bladder burned and I leaked all the time so I don't know what all was causing it. Those are just the things I tried to add back into my regime but couldn't.

Fwiw, azo with probiotics helps me if this gets out of control. I haven't had to take azo in about a month now. Hmmmmm.

I've had at least 4 kidney stones so that's a given. They run in my family.

Tc .. M

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 10/23/12 at 16:19:17

Hi Marcia, AKA Dizzysillyak,

I'm also on DINET and we have chatted there several times.  I'll look for you on those other sites.  Welcome to this forum, I know you will find lots of information here to help you understand the mast cell perspective to your health issues.

It took me years to figure out that inactive medication ingredients and food additives are some of my worst triggers, and have triggered anaphylaxis numerous times.  I react horribly to MSG, aspartame, FD&C Yellow #5 (also known as tartrazine), FD&C Red #40, sulfites, parabens, and others.  This has prompted me to tune in to inactive ingredients in meds and food additives.  

When I first started on antihistamines, I gravitated to the generics, then over time started putting all this together when I began to research each of the ingredients listed as mast cell degranulators on various websites.  

I could take white pills, but the minute my pharmacy changed my meds to a generic and it was yellow, I would react horribly.  It wasn't until I learned about synthetic dyes, then connected them to azo dyes listed on various mast cell sites as a common degranulator, that I figured out that the FD&C or D&C dyes listed in meds and foods, most comon in less expensive products are issues for many of us with mast cell disorders.  Yellow #5 is well publicized as a trigger for asthma, and mentioned in the IBS and IC publications.

Yellow #6 is made from Yellow #5, so you may want to avoid that one too.  I avoid all of the FD&C dyes in my foods and meds and have been working on getting them out of my personal care products.  I no longer use red pomegranite shower gel, but choose a clear, scent free gel.      

I've briefly looked over the ingredients in your meds and found quite a few which are known degranulators, which I have highlighted in red.  

Walzyr and other generics for cetirizine that I've looked at all contain FD&C Blue #1.  The Walzyr also contains PEG, which is an alcohol, is also a common degranulator.          

Children's Benadryl Allergy Liquid: Citric acid, D&C red no. 33, FD&C red no. 40, flavors, glycerin, mono ammonium glycyrrhizinate, poloxamer 407, purified water, sodium benzoate, sodium chloride, sodium citrate, and sugar.

In case you were thinking of looking into the dye free version ...
Children's Benadryl Dye-Free Allergy Liquid: carboxymethylcellulose sodium, citric acid, flavors, glycerin, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, and sorbitol solution.

If you find that your "bucket" is full and want to change out these meds, consider checking into brand Zyrtec tablets or Zyrtec liquid gel capsules.  Dye free Benedryl liquid gel capsules and Walgreens dye free diphenhydramine liquid gel capsules have the identical ingredients as the brand, but is cheaper.  None of the above products has any of the dyes that are known triggers.  

The zyrtec liquid gels are corn-free, gluten-free and lactose-free, but does contain PEG and sorbitol, sugar alcohol as the last ingredient.  I have yet to find a cleaner version of a H1 that works for me.  I also take hydroxyzine at night to clear brain fog, as it crosses the blood brain barrier and plugs the H1 receptors in the brain.  

Allegra, and Target generic fexofenodine and Sam's club versions all have various oxine dyes, which is considered more "natural" and far less toxic.  but those three also contain lactose, in case lactose is an issue for you.    

I've read about mast cell patients who react to lactose, dyes, alcohols, citric acid and other ingredients, so keep that in mind if your symptoms warrant the attention.  

Best wishes on taking your journey down the mast cell pathway.  
Lyn                                                                            

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 10/23/12 at 18:11:55

Lyn,
Thanks for posting that.  Do you happen to know how quickly gelcaps dissolve in the stomach as opposed to regular capsules or tablets?  I've always used quick dissolving tabs or liquid Benadryl in an emergency, but would like to get away from additives.  I suppose I could put some in water and see, but thought I'd ask in case you or anyone else knows.

Joan

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #9 - 10/23/12 at 20:29:12

Joan,
I don't use the fast melts or liquids as they are all loaded with additives known to degranulate.  At one point I did look for disolving rates for zyrtec tablets and the liquid gels, but couldn't find any scientific information.  

Several years ago, a pharmacist told me that ibuprofen gelcaps typically work faster than ibuprofen tablets, so I am going off of that concept.  When I'm shocking, it takes only a few minutes for the dye free diphenhydramine gel caps to settle down my massive eruptive 'Big D' or stop my projectile vomitting.  

I take the regular zyrtec tablets as scheduled meds, the Zyrtec liquid gels for breakthrough, and dye-free diphenhydramine liquid gels for emergencies.    

I do get nervous about taking oral meds when I'm vomiting.    I read that in the hospice community, they often use Benedryl gelcaps as suppositories or vaginal inserts.  Compounding pharmamcies will even mix a blend of compazine, Benedryl and another med to use on end stage cancer patients.  Alternative routes of administration are my Plan B, if the Benedryl gel caps doesn't work fast enough orally.      

And oh, the Zyrtec commercials this past summer stated that zyrtec works much faster than Allegra.  I read somewhere Allegra tablets can take between one and two hours to start working.  

I don't know if putting the meds in water and seeing how fast they disolve in water is accurate to test dissolving in the stomach.  I read that this is a myth and not helpful when assessing vitamins, as the stomach pH is between 2-2.5 and water is around 7.  I suppose you could try doing it in some vinegar?   Let me know if you perform some kitchen chemisty.  Smiley

Take care, Lyn      

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #10 - 10/24/12 at 03:27:24

Wow. Thanks Lyn. You just saved me a lot of time trying to figure all this out.  Smiley

One of the reasons I liked Wal-zyr is because I get energy from corn starch and that's the first ingredient.  I'm not sure if that's a good source of energy tho.  It could be an excitotoxin for me. HFCS energizes me to the point where I really can not sit still.  I was taking Infant's liquid iron when I figured this one out.  But as a PWC (Person with CFS) I'm always happy to find an energy source.          

It's been exciting not to have to lay down most of the time from my POTS / hypoperfusion. Before I started these meds, I could stay upright but I felt horrible due to petite mals.  I'm sure most people probably just thought I was being a whiner or difficult when these were happening. In fact, I just ran into this when I was having a petite mal and had to eat and lay down for 20 minutes.  Roll Eyes    

I'm not sure how they did it but only a few people in my life have recognized when I'm having a petite mal.  My mother, one of my doctors and one friend who was trained in special ed.  I'm assuming I lose all expression from my face. I can still talk but I'm whiney. Part of my brain has checked out so my answers are whatever pops into my head.  Huh    

This and my sob, if I'm up too long, have lessened in the last 6 weeks but I realize that my energy level and mental clarity aren't as good as they could be. So I want to look at this more.  

I'm not sure where to find that list of common mast cell degranulators or whatever it's called yet.  Is there a section here on basic mast cell info and how it all works ? Pics are good as I'm a visual learner.

I'm learing too that I don't do well with too much Benadryl.Or maybe it's the Target Dye Free Brand ?  It feel like it dries out my brain ... lol ...

tx again ... Marcia

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #11 - 10/24/12 at 04:54:10

It's hard to know what the pH is in our stomachs with the kinds of meds we take, so I suppose we have to go by personal experience.

Allegra does take longer than Zyrtec to begin working.  Be careful about compazine.  It's not recommended for mast cell patients.

At the hospital, I found that IV Benadryl contained a preservative, but the injectable didn't.  

Joan

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #12 - 10/24/12 at 08:32:06

Joan,
Oh, I didn't mention the compazine/benedryl mix for us mast cell patients, just mentioned it as an example how there are different routes of administration that are used in other patient populations and maybe this would work for us, too.  Sorry for the confusion.  

I hear ya on the pH topic for us,too.  Just before I learned of mast cell issues I spent months weening off of my PPI due to symptoms I thought were coming from the low pH.  And now add in all this H2....  

I learned that IV Benedryl can also be injected IM, one into the veins and the other in the muscle.  Parke Davies makes two versions of their injectable Benedryl and one contains benzethonium chloride as an antigemacidal  agent while the other doesn't have such an agent.  I'll have to go back and see if the one with the benzethonium chloride is a multi dose vial.  Single dose vials or syringes come without antimicrobial preservatives seen in multi-dose vials.

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #13 - 10/24/12 at 09:02:52

Marcia,
Glad to her about your extra boost of energy with those products.  I am in no way trying to sway you off of any meds that are working for you.  

I just wish there was something out there alerting me to additives.  Everytime I suspected additives I couldn't find anything to back it up, at least not until I began dissecting the various lists of degranulators and  inactive ingredients in my meds, foods and personal care products.  It wasn't until I began stripping away these additives that I could unravel my symptoms.  I now know I was having low grade anaphylaxis everyday, with occasional bouts of higher stage anaphylaxis.  Eliminating these known triggers helped me out of that pattern, where my reactions would have a beginning and an end.  

In case this may help you, here is the list of ingredients in the Target dye free liquid elixir.  
anhydrous citric acid      Causes Direct Histamine Release
carboxymethylcellulose dosdium      
flavors                      Mast Cell Degranulator
glycerin      
potassium citrate      
purified water      
sodium benzoate      Mast Cell Degranulator
sorbitol                      Sugar Alcohol=MC Degranulator
sucralose      

If those ingredients don't cause an issue for you, then you are good to go. Just keep this in mind as you move through your own journey.  

There are multiple lists of degranulators out on the web, some better than others.  I have yet to find a comprehensive list explaining each of these ingredients, but I am compiling a spreadsheet of my own encompassing it all.  

Meanwhile start with 1) TMS Emergency sheets 2) low histamine diet from the urticaria site and 3) degranulator list from www.Mastokids.org site.  giving you a good start.  On www.TMSforacure.org, you'll find 2 solid sources.  One is a blue emergency room trifold pamphlet and the other is a list of meds to NOT take in their Emergency Files.  

Happy reading,
Lyn

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #14 - 10/24/12 at 12:29:06

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  Huh

I just checked out the low histamine diet list and I eat more from the bad list than the good list. Between the low oxalate diet, hyperinsulinemia and the Paleo diet, there goes the rest of it.  Grin   I'm a real pita.

I actually feel best eating wild sea caught scallops, king crab, fresh salmon, fresh tuna, etc.  Fish and grass fed lamb are the only meats I can eat right now. Beef tears up my stomach and causes horrible pain for days. I haven't tried duck, deer or rabbit tho.  

I have mcs (multiple chemical sensitivity). Is that common in mast cell disorders ?
So I can't eat meats that are wrapped in plastic or have come into contact with the white meat wrapping paper. All canned foods have been out of my diet for 10 years because I can taste the can. I had to stop using my stainless steel pots and pans last year because I can taste the metal.

I eat egg yolks only because I produce antibodies to egg whites. I was eating them raw in homemade mayonaise when that happened.

So, is this one of those things where we use it as a guideline because some things may not apply ?  My concern is that I know many of my triggers because they're obvious but I wouldn't know where to begin eliminating high histamine foods and still find enough to eat. And I have reactions to some foods on the ok side.

Should I just watch for mast cell reaction signs ? I'm thinking, FM, IC, pelvic pain and "normal" allergic reactions. I'm not sure what other conditions are connected.
I have no idea why my oi is better on the mc meds but I need to take the Wal-zyr throughout the day.  

As in, I know that vinegar is out for me because of throat and tongue swelling.  I know I react to tomatoes and bacon with FM pain. Chocolate  Cool
and certain nuts (cashews, pecans, pistachios, almonds)  and peanuts cause pelvic pain. Walnuts cause tongue sores if I eat more than 3 - 4 at a time.  Brazil nuts are ok. Soy causes phlegm.

Yada yada .. So these are my obvious mast cell triggers.

Fwiw tho SOME but not most of my reactions have been known to change. I was eating Jungle peanuts Sept - Dec 2011 without any reaction.  Then I started getting pelvic pain everytime. This was a new peanut for me tho.

If I don't eat pineapple for a few weeks my tongue burns when I first eat it again. This goes away within 24 - 48 hours and I can eat all I want.  Huh Wuz up with that ?  Undecided  

Fwiw, I read that we react badly to heat but I stopped reacting to heat about 3 - 4 years ago.  I feel great in the sun now. I could stay out in it for hours if I wasn't getting sunburned. Being inside in the heat
with the windows closed isn't as good tho. It feels like the air is contaminated and I can't breath. I keep it about 78 degrees..

I couldn't tell you why tho.  At that time I'd already been gfcf, etc for 3 - 4 years and my obvious candida signs were gone even tho my stool tests said I still had a slight problem. I became totally post menopausal last year but my estrogen was almost wiped out by then.  I switched to a paleo/low oxalate diet. And I started sweating like a normal person too. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

Thanks for all the help.  Sorry for the book. Tc .. M

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print