Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What is going on with my body?! (Read 19920 times)
Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: What is going on with my body?!
Reply #30 - 01/12/13 at 09:33:47

Sarah, youre doing great at this--it takes time and it isnt easy this being such a rare disease for us to know exactly what is right to do. You as a Nurse, thats a bit a trouble too LOL.. We were always taught that the DR knows best--sometimes that isnt true, it depends on if youre talking to a mast cell expert or an MD who wants you to go away because you scare them.

Hon, we need to take more meds than the average person and that one is so very hard for me. We tend to get ourselves in trouble because we are always thinking, "I shouldnt be taking all these meds, I will over-dose!" No-no, You MUST take the meds that calm your reactions and keep you safe from going into shock.

Its hard for us to see ourselves as the patient, I truly understand. My job let me go saying, "Youre sicker than the people you are treating." and it was true. I still have a bit of depression over that one. My identity as a nurse was how I valued myself and suddenly I had no value Sad   I had to learn who I was all over again and sometimes I still have a good cry over it. It helps to reach out to others. I never would have made it without this board and all of you. We need each other and are truly the real life "life-lines" to this weird rare illness.

Now about your throat--your own "feelings" are correct, dont question yourself. You can feel either way--like an obstruction or a thickening or even just an irritation that makes you want to cough and cough. Do exactly what you did by taking your Benadryl, and if it ever doesnt work for you, follow it with a dose of Prednisone (ONLY if your Benadryl doesnt work. It will save you from a 911 trip to the ER Smiley

You have excellent sense--follow them! Youre gonna do fine Smiley
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #31 - 02/27/13 at 12:05:38

HI--How has everyone been?  I have been busy at the Mayo Clinic.  I did get diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis for sure, but it's only a piece of the puzzle.  I saw the allergist who specializes with both Eosinophilic Esophagitis and Mast Cell Disorders and I am left with more questions and NO answers.  She said I do not have a mast cell disease since my urine and tryptase were normal.  She told me to follow the diet for Eosin.Esoph., but 3 of the foods on there are my safe foods (so I don't know what I'd eat). Other than that, she had NO advice for any of my other issues and told me I just had all these seperate things happen to me and they are not connected in any way.  I know everyone says you don't need a diagnosis if the treatment works, and it kind of does, but the one thing it's not helping is the smell reactions.  If I am exposed to a stronger smell for more than an hour, I start having a reaction.  The advice everyone gives here is great, and I feel the thing that has helped me the most is following the low histamine diet Grin  I actually feel semi-normal.  I thought I was eating okay, but I was having reactions everyday.  I am taking Allegra daily, Zantac 3 x's daily, and swallowed Flovent for my espohagitis.  The Benadryl still helps, but I have used it much less since starting the Zantac and Allegra.  
--I am wondering if a mast cell stabilizer would help with the smells?  Does anyone have advice on this?
--Also, how far do I go???--the expenses are adding up and I don't even know if any of the other doctors would see me.  I think my GI doctor would possibly prescribe a mast cell stabilizer for me since they can use Cromolyn to treat Eosinophilic Esophagitis too.
I do feel very limited in my life, since a lot of things involve smells, and I would like to improve the quality of my life a little.  I'm not sure if this is the right spot to put this post in, but I can repost it too.

Thanks!  Sarah

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #32 - 03/02/13 at 19:43:19

Hi Sarah!
Wow sounds like you have found some important stuff out!  I think the cromolyn would help.  I read your information and did some looking up on the Eosinophilic Esophagitis.  I find it very interesting because I have throat swelling so much.  I really think I had a reaction last night due to a combination of chocolate and my husbands garlic breath!  Sounds crazy huh?  But it turned into a scary event.  I was fine after benadryl.
So I was trying to understand if there is any connection with mast cells and this EE.  I am a bit confused because to me it seems like a symptom of something else. Can you explain that to me?
Your problems with smells, fragrances and improvement on H1's sure sound like mast cells to me.  Cromolyn is a mast cell stablizer so I would think that stabilizing your mast  cells would cut down on the EE events, but like I said I am still a bit confused.  I wonder if some of the EE meds would help me.  I did see that they use the inhaled cromolyn, most of us are one the liquid or oral cromolyn, so you want to let the doc know which one you are wanting.  The oral cromolyn is considered an orphan drug and is not available at every pharmacy.
I look forward to hearing from you and understanding more about EE!

Pam

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #33 - 03/06/13 at 10:35:14

Hi Pam,
I did wonder about that with the rest of the people that have throat issues too.  I guess eosinophils and mast cells go hand-in-hand in that if you have eosinophils somewhere, there will be mast cells, but if you have mast cells, there may not be eosinophils (my understanding).  But the eosinophils in the tissue in the throat are not normal--mast cells are.  Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EoE) is a new disease only being diagnosed since the 70's and 80's.  It's symptoms usually include trouble swallowing or food or meds getting stuck (I had an Excedrin stuck in my throat for 3 hours once when I was 25).  The swelling in the throat and "tightness" is an allergic reaction to food or smells--they don't know much about the smell reactions yet from what I gather.  The weird thing is that I didn't have trouble swallowing food previously--just large pills or round pills.  I also didn't have the allergic reactions until about 1.5 years ago.  They think I've had EoE for decades.  The doctors at Mayo say it doesn't add up...  Also, I called back and left a list of questions for the allergist I saw at Mayo.  She now says I may have a mast cell activation disease too, but that's all she said to the nurse that called me back.   That's it--nothing else.  So I think I will call my GI doctor back--he's great.  I think the swallowed Flovent is helping--hard to tell because the low-histamine diet is helping a lot.  They have an elimination diet for EoE too--if you look it up online, it has a lot of information if you wanted to try it.  Are you on a low-histamine diet?  Let me know what you think.  Have you had an endoscopy or a swallow study done?  I had a swallow study a year ago that was unremarkable, but my doc at Mayo said the radiologist needs to be really good at what they are doing or they can miss the long-segment narrowing (if someone has it).  
Take care Smiley   Sarah

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #34 - 03/06/13 at 18:59:13

Sarah,
Yes I am on a low histamine diet and a low salicylate diet. I have found the histamines cause diarreah and the salicylates causes anapylaxis.  Only took two years to figure that out!  Tongue  I had an upper gi and my throat stretched before I knew what was going on.  My throat felt tight because it was swelling. That was not a lovely proceedure and it was probably completely unecessary.  The things we go through to figure it all out.  I  had a pill get stuck the other day, but it was because I was going into anapylaxis! Cheesy  I generally don't have a problem only when I am swelling.  So your thoat is narrowed all the time? or just when you have a reaction?  Keep me updated on how you are doing!

Pam

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #35 - 03/07/13 at 04:34:30

Hi Pam,

How are you?  My throat swells with reactions to food I eat or very strong smells--with the smells I notice the main problem is that my heart rate increases and stays fast for a long time until I take an antihistamine.  Have you noticed a difference with smell and food reactions?  The GI doc told me my throat is narrowed all the time and probably has scar tissue--he said the amount of swelling in it would have taken decades to get to this point.  My throat was reacting the day I did the swallow study, which I think made the swelling worse than normal (which is what they wanted to see).  When I take Benadryl, that feeling goes away, so I think that the swelling isn't always that bad, unless I'm having an issue with what I'm eating.  I have trouble swallowing food with reactions--it gets thick and tight feeling.  Then gets better after an antihistamine.  Is that how yours is?  Also, I remember reading that you have mold in your house, but not your room.  When we were living in our last house (that we found out was full of mold), I was reacting constantly and had a lot of anxiety for no explainable reason.  I was frequently dizzy and had several episodes of shortness of breath (especially with minor activity).  Do you think it could be contributing to all of your reactions?  I know as soon as we moved out, I started feeling better.  2 of my girls were also sick from the mold with skin and respiratory issues, but are great now.  Let me know what you think and hope you're feeling well Smiley  --Sarah

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #36 - 03/07/13 at 12:35:24

Sarah, that is the Million dollar question. We have considered moving, but with market the way it is  we would easily loose $20,000.  Before I was on mast cell stablizers, we even looked at putting me in a cheap apt. just to test that theory. If we knew for sure that I would regain my health, then we would just eat the loss and start over.  But we don't know that It wont be the same reaction at a new house.  The mold we found was in the duct work, so when the air or funace came on mold spores were thown everywhere.  After fixing the problem we went through and got rid of anything that could not be washed with a bleach and water mix.  We got rid all cloth furniture, our matress and box springs, any house hold decorations that couldn't be washed.  The we washed everything walls, lights windows etc.  We blocked off the duct work in our bedroom and use a giant air cleaner and I refer to this room as my "clean room".  We have an electic fireplace we use for heat and  a window air unit for air conditioning.  I still have to spend many hours a day in the clean room.  Spending time in the rest of the house does tend to swell my throat.  I live a completely abnormal life in this room.  We also have pets, and I think they probably contribute as well.  They are not allowed in the clean room.  Same thing...it would break my heart to cart off the animals and then find out they were not at problem after all.  I really do feel stuck in the situation.  During the worse part of my illness we stayed in motels and used most of our saving, so I feel like my illness has caused such a finacial strain that I don't want to insist on moving.  I have applied for disability and my hearing is coming up soon, maybe if I win I can use the back pay to help get out of this house.  There is so much to do in order to move though, maintenace jobs that we have put off due to the costs.  For now the "clean room" is my refuge.  At least I have that.  
I too swell with smells and certain foods.  With the smells I first get a feeling in my stomach which I think are mast cells degranulating, then swelling.  I can't go to church because of the overwhelming frangrance.  I have trouble go out in crowded public places to.  It is just overall better for me to stay at home.  Which takes me back to the million dollar question would I be better in a different home?
Interestingly our reactions seem to be simular.  They never tested me for the EE.  But like I said they did streach my thoat, after that It felt like I could swallow a mac truck!  I don't think I have a feeling of tightness unless reacting.  
I think if I won publishers clearing house I would move in a heart beat...but right now I just don't think the finacial strain of moving would be a good thing.  So I will wait and see!
Where was the mold at your old house?  Was it hidden somewhere?

Pam

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #37 - 03/11/13 at 08:14:47

Hi Pam,

I'm so sorry to hear all of that.  I wish you luck at your hearing.  We had mold in between the bathroom upstairs and the bathroom downstairs--it had been patched over, so we actually don't know how much was in there.  There was also black mold on the windows in the winter.  We were only there for 9 months and all of the shoes on my bedroom closet floor were growing white mold on them!  All I know is within 2 weeks of moving out, I noticed a marked improvement in my health and stability.  I didn't feel better when we left the house for a few hours--it took time after being completely out of the house for me to feel better.  I have a dog and cat and they are fine.  I'm sure you know this, but the more often you bathe them or wipe them down, the less dander there is (my 5 year old is allergic to animals, but does well with our pets).  It's so frustrating to have to wonder what's causing symptoms.  I know the low-histamine diet helps, so does Zantac and Allegra.  I think the swallowed Flovent is working.  I was able to go to my nephew's wrestling tournament this weekend and they had tacos there (never would have been able to stay in the building 1 month ago).  I do have to be REALLY careful with what I eat.  I think our reactions seem similar too.  You should ask your doctor about EoE...   It sounds like you did a good job getting rid of the mold.  I really hope you feel better soon and good luck with everything Pam!

SmileySarah

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print