Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone reacted a vitamin D pill and probiotics? (Read 6394 times)
Sasha
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Has anyone reacted a vitamin D pill and probiotics?
08/24/12 at 12:34:30

I've tried a gelcap Vitamin D supplement and a probiotic and both made me have severe asthma.  Anyone with similar experiences?  I'm curious why I would react (especially to the probiotic!)  I've heard the vitamin D can build up histamine by the way it is processed...

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Re: Has anyone reacted a vitamin D pill and probiotics?
Reply #1 - 08/25/12 at 14:43:37

Do you know if you are sensitive to salicylates?  The gelcaps are made of gelatin and have salicylates in them.
I reacted to probiotics, but at this time I was reacting to most meds and foods.  I have been stablized by mast cell stablizers, but I have not tried the probiotics again.  I am working on taking vitamins right now.
When you do try to take something, try one at a time for a week, before you add any others!
Good luck,
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/25/12 at 14:59:05

I reacted to SOLGAR brand vitamin D3 1000iu.  They are gelcaps that contain fish oil and I tested allergic to fish.   Haven't tried another brand yet.

Too scared.

IP Logged

Sasha
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/26/12 at 02:24:03

I think I'm sensitive to salicylates but I've taken other things that are gelcaps and not reacted.   The Vit. D gelcap that I took created such a bad reaction (twice) that I won't try it again.  I think it was what was inside it...I think if it was fishoil it could have been high in histamine maybe.  Not sure about the probiotics ... they caused chest tightness ... not as severe as the vit d.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 08/26/12 at 07:22:23

A non-fish source of vitamin D might be tolerable.  Remember, pills can be broken and capsules can be opened and some of the powder dumped out in order to try a small dose, unless it's a time-released capsule or tablet.

Vegan gelcaps or capsules might be something to try.

Joan

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #5 - 08/29/12 at 12:51:32

Both my son and I do no tolerate vitamin D supplements via drops or capsules for various reasons.  On recommendation from our endocrinologist we now use a vitamin D lamp:
http://www.vitaminduv.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tp...
It has successfully brought both of our levels up from a 10 to 30 in a few short months.

We've used Kirkman Labs pro bio gold probiotics successfully.  We open them and dump the powder on a dish.
http://kirkmanlabs.com/ProductKirkman/186/1/Pro-Bio%20Gold™%20-%20Hypoallergenic...

Hope you find something that works.

Good luck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print