Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
low histamine diet AND salicylate free diet? (Read 33082 times)
jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
low histamine diet AND salicylate free diet?
07/31/11 at 12:26:47

How many of you follow the low histamine diet?  Do you also follow the low salicylate diet?  What's left to eat if you do them both?

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Re: low histamine diet AND salicylate free diet?
Reply #1 - 08/01/11 at 05:57:11

I follow it. For me no leftovers is a big deal. It has made a difference in NOT eating leftovers. I freeze them and they do fine. I eat fresh meats and fresh or frozen vegetables and if I eat fruit I try to eat vine ripen and locally grown. But I don't seem to do well with fruits. Pear, watermelon, bananna's, and red delicious apples and green apples I do okay. Apple sauce if it is fresh. I make it and then freeze it. I eat nuts and seeds, gluten free grains like quinoa, millet, rice, buckwheat groats. I eat legumes/beans- pinto, navy beans, black beans, northern beans, garbonzo. For milks- I drink hemp milk, coconut milk, almond milk, rice milk. (no soy or dairy)For breakfast I will have a g-free oatmeal, steel cut oatmeal, cream of buckwheat cereal, rice chex, gluten free rice krispies,gluten free waffles or pancakes, sautued veggies like chopped onion, peppers, carrots, zucchini, fennel, star anise, etc.....sauteed in olive oil is really good. I of course can't have sausage or bacon but I make my own sausage patties with ground turkey adding sage, fennel seed, onion powder, garlic powder and it's good and then I freeze the rest and take them out and reheat as I need them. Gluten free toast or english muffins. I do a lot of baked chicken, roasts, pork, and I seem to do okay with seafood so I eat that too. I can't have eggs,dairy,soy,gluten,grapes,dried fruits. Sometimes I really get discouraged but for me things that help are having stuff already made and froze helps. This way if I get hungy I go to the freezer and put something in the microwave and wala! I almost always have beans and chicken or beef stock already made and froze and ready to go. If you can have eggs and dairy you will have way more options than I do. What are your food triggers?
Melissa

IP Logged

jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
Reply #2 - 08/01/11 at 09:47:29

I'm in the process of trying to find out.  Nuts are a huge no no (I thought I was going to die, but I'm not "allergic" according to the allergy tests).  I think that eggs and milk and tomatoes (and corn?) make my chin burn and my lip feels puffy (but doesn't visibly look so).  Bananas, pumpkin, broccoli, squash,  make me wheezy.  Plain potato chips cooked in sunflower oil made me tachy (probably the oil ).   I have been eating nothing but potatoes, oatmeal, meat, and peas for about a week because they don't seem to bother me.  Next, I'm going to add things back one at a time and see what I can tolerate.  Most of the rice milk I've seen is made with sunflower oil.

What's hard is eating when I'm away from home.  I also worry about nutrition.

I really need to freeze more leftovers.  That's a good idea!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #3 - 08/02/11 at 05:14:13

You can make your own rice milk if you have a decent high speed blender like a vita mix or I have the magic bullet which has been so good to me especially for the price 40 bucks at costco versus the 400+ for the vita mix. One day I hope to have a vita mix. I know what you mean about eating on the go. If you can tolerate oatmeal you could try making granola sweetned with maple syrup(good maple syrup) or agave nectar, or brown rice syrup might be good. Can you have pumkin seeds? You can make seed butter, pumpkin seeds have protien and  fiber. If you can have rice then you should be able to have rice cakes(PLAIN) no added preservatives, if you could have any kind of nut or seed butter it's pretty yummy. There is these nutrition bars that are pretty good by Nu Go, they have gluten free, dairy free, soy free and regular ones. Check into them and see if you can have them. They are nice for traveling and they are actually yummy.
Melissa

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 08/02/11 at 13:12:04

With wheezing from pumpkin, I don't know how you'll react to the seeds.

I sometimes drink "oat milk."  The Pacific brand I have is made without oil.  Oats can contain gluten, so if gluten bothers you, this wouldn't be a good drink.

It seems like nothing's left to eat, doesn't it?  But, remember this could be temporary.  If you can get your digestive system straightened out, you may be able to add foods that you can't tolerate right now.  It could take a couple of months or possibly longer, so you have to be patient.  (I know that's really hard!)

Joan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 08/02/11 at 15:46:26

Im on the low histamine diet but not the low salicylate diet, even though I am sensitive to them.  I have such a limited list of things I can eat right now with just histamines to worry about...My body is rejecting meat proteins now too..if Im on prednisone, I keep everything down, eat all in sight and gain weight.. when Im not on it I lose weight daily and only 50 percent stays down. I cant eat fruit except for melon and soft can peaches, no veggies, they irritate the tummy lining unless I cook them until they are mush. That leaves starches and thank god I can eat gluten or I would starve lol.  I eat toast and bread, potatoes and pasta and alot of frozen ices Smiley  oh yes the main staple of my diet is chicken stock and white rice... good thing I love it.
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
Reply #6 - 08/03/11 at 08:45:12

Wow!  At least I'm not alone in this limited diet.  What adds even more confusion is that sometimes a food bothers me and sometimes I can get away with eating it.

I added Zantac about a week ago.  I am only taking 75 mg. in the morning and will work my way up to taking more.  I have to go very slowly.  At first I thought the Zantac was making me a little wheezy, but I think it's better now.  I can't tell any difference with my symptoms yet, but maybe I will when I am taking more.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #7 - 08/03/11 at 11:59:10

jenwic wrote on 08/03/11 at 08:45:12:
...sometimes a food bothers me and sometimes I can get away with eating it.

Triggers are not like IgE food allergies.  If you have other things going on... you're stressed out, not getting enough sleep, it's hot outside, the pollen count is high, etc... then you probably have to be careful about your diet.  When you're feeling better you can take more chances.  It's like a person who has food-dependent, exercise-induced anaphylaxis (now there's a mouthful for you!).  Let's say wheat is their trigger.  They can eat wheat and they can exercise, but they can't do both... they can't eat a sandwich and then go out for a run.  That's what it's like for us, only we have a lot more triggers!    

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Jewel
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 08/03/11 at 15:26:34

I am lactose, gluten, fructose and histamine intolerant and also have salicylate sensitivity.  All I can eat is white rice, celery, meat and potatoes.  The small intestine can heal on a gluten free diet and my dietician has told me that in time, once my SI has healed, I will once again be able to eat most of the things I can't eat now.

IP Logged

TiffanyB
Rookie

I live in a Field of Unlimited
Possibilities.
Western Maryland
Reply #9 - 08/07/11 at 11:41:55

Oh man...all of this makes me want to crack.  Sad  Max (MCAD with volatile reactions and anaphylaxis), at 3 has so many sensitivites we can't keep track, and adding in salicylate sensitivity just takes away so many other foods.  What supplements is everyone taking to make up for the amino acids missing when they eliminate so much out of their diets??  I am so worried that the more we eliminate, the less likely he has the basic building blocks to synthesize the hormones and enzymes that will keep his body healthy.

Ugh.
~Tiffany

I work, live and love with my hubby, Gary.  We have two freakishly adorable children, and were thrown for a loop to discover our little guy's severe global sensitivities were MCAD.  

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #10 - 04/18/12 at 09:33:43

What is wrong with sunflower oil? Is it high in Sals or histamines?
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

shabrans
Tutor

Reply #11 - 04/19/12 at 13:22:13

Sunflower oil is supposed to be okay for salicylate sensitive people . Sunflower seeds do have histamines in them so Im assuming oil would too.

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/20/12 at 06:44:13

TiffanyB-
I'm a vegetarian, so this restrictive diet seems even more restrictive for me!  To answer your question about making sure your son gets enough nutrition, particularly amino acids: I take a daily multi from Rainbow Light which I buy from Vitamin Shoppe.  They have a chewable kid's multi for kids over six, and a "gummi bear" multi for younger kids.  These are free of a lot of triggers like artificial colors, flavors, gluten, etc., but you'd have to see if they'd work for you.  

I also take some amino acid supplements on their own, but in particular I take one called MAP (http://masteraminoacidpattern.com/index.php), which has a full complement of amino acids.  It's made for athletes and body builders, but I think it's great for those of us on restricted diets as well.  My old doctor put me on these, and I found the MAP in particular has helped some with my energy levels.   I had been taking various other protein supplements like Ensure and protein sports drinks (Accelerade in particular), but the whey-based ones now set me off too much.  I still don't seem to have any problem with MAP.  

I take a ton (I was taking three pills three times a day, and have backed that down to two pills three times a day), and they're EXPENSIVE.  If you'd like to give them a try, the cheapest place by far that I've found to get them is http://www.protocolsupplements.com/  It is a one-man mail order place, but the guy who runs it, named Cody, is super friendly.  I've been ordering from him for a number of years.  In fact, I suspect that if you had questions about it, you could probably give him a call and he'd do what he could to answer your questions.

Best of luck!

IP Logged

Julie T
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 08/30/12 at 17:03:37

My daughter is salicylate sensitive, gluten and dairy free, low histamine diet.  She only eats rice, quinoa and rice noodles, meat, pears and eggs.  She will add some frozen mango to pears for smoothie (rice milk too).  she reacts to most foods and also is IgE + to most foods tested.  

she is very tired of restricted diet.  We see dr castells in October so hope to get some advice.

It is nice to see others have to be on limited diet too to heal..hope it is temporary.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print