Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What should I eat? (Read 12327 times)
vicmjones
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

What should I eat?
01/17/12 at 08:44:37

I am new to this Masto stuff and am really confused on what I should eat. I know that I react to wheat, wine, cheese. I think I react to all alcohol except Vodka, almonds, tomatoes, a lot of fruits. But I am not sure. What should I do? I can't seem to figure this all out. If I start on an elimination diet, what do I eat? Rice and cabbage? Help!

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: What should I eat?
Reply #1 - 01/17/12 at 09:02:41

Everyone is unique but there are some more common triggers that lots of masto people have like chocolate Sad, cheese, alcohol, and tomatoes

If you want to check out the low histamine diet by the urticaria society; that's what some of us follow, but yes I cut it down to one or two things trying to find safe foods and am introducing one at a time it is painstaking and hard to find things I don't react to

check out the low histamine list as a start

What is your food reaction? Cool

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 01/17/12 at 12:31:03

I did an elimination diet earlier this year under a doctor's guidance.  For the first four weeks I ate:

- Meat (no fish, no seafood... although I was sorely tempted by fresh raw oysters a friend had gathered)
- Blueberries
- Dates
- Sweet potatoes
- White rice
- Clarified butter (ghee)
- Salt

Boring, but effective!  After that I slowly started adding other foods back in (corn, oatmeal, beans, fruits and vegetables, herbs, etc...).  Here are the foods I'm still avoiding...

- Shrimp (I'm allergic)
- Gluten
- Raw tomatoes (makes my mouth tingle)
- Foods related to ragweed (chamomile, melons)
- Foods related to latex (banana, kiwi, avocado)
- Leftover meat, aged beef
- Aged cheese (a sprinkle seems to be OK)
- Foods that have been fermented or pickled
- Alcohol (stopped even before I knew I had a mast cell disorder)
- Canned tuna, mackerel (tons of histamine!)

Some of the foods on the "low-histamine" list I can eat, no problem (or I can eat with caution)... cooked tomatoes, spices, eggplant, chocolate, cooked spinach and other greens, etc...  With such a restricted diet, I hate to take anything out unless I know for sure it's a problem!  For religious reasons I also avoid pork products.  Bacon is YUMMY, but nitrates are not health food for anyone.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #3 - 01/17/12 at 13:46:36

Heather

Thanks for listing all of that in such detail!
That really helps the rest of us.

I'm trying elimination but still have mild reactions to the few foods I eat

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/17/12 at 15:11:41

Here's the link to a low histamine diet easy to read.  I would start on this diet and go from there:

www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm

Some foods are on the "avoid" list because they stimulate direct histamine release from mast cells (pineapple, pumpkin, e.g.).  Some other foods naturally contain high levels of histamine (tomatoes, eggplant, many fish, e.g.).  Cooking doesn't destroy histamine.  You can also avoid gluten, yeast, or any food or group of foods that you think bother(s) you.  It's trial and error for most of us.

If you're still having mild reactions, leftovers might be the culprit.  Leftover meats grow histamine very quickly.  If you have leftovers, they should be portioned and frozen within 2 hours of cooking to be safe.  Freezing stops histamine production.  

Some fish produce histamine after they die, but others don't.  If you want the link to the government website that lists all fish and seafood and whether they produce histamine, I'll post it again.  Personally, I'd avoid all fish and seafood and stick strictly to the low histamine diet for a month or so.  Then, if you're feeling stable, you can try to add foods back into your diet.  I would eliminate tuna entirely, as it can produce enough histamine to make someone very ill in just 1/2 hour after it's died.

Funny you mentioned Vodka, because that, gin, and rum are on the okay to try list.  Many people with MC disorders can't drink any alcohol without reacting.

If the things that trigger our reactions were put in a bucket, we wouldn't have symptoms until that bucket became full.  Then, the next thing we ate or came in contact with that is a trigger for us would send us into a reaction.  When the bucket's full, one more drop will cause it to spill over.

Hope that helps.

Joan

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #5 - 01/18/12 at 06:52:39

Vodka! Not fair. Heather you can eat dates? Not fair! Any dried fruit gives me hives now .
Melissa

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 01/18/12 at 07:37:14

Melissa have you tried organic dried fruits, I.e without sulfites? It could be the sulphites used to preserve the fruits, rather than the fruit itself giving you trouble, although for me it causes migraine rather than hives.

IP Logged

vicmjones
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 01/18/12 at 07:43:32

I have decided today to start the following elimination diet:

Yams, potatoes, rice, cabbage, green apples, onions, peppers (not the hot ones the green and red ones), mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper, diet drinks, coffee, tea, coconut oil, milk and vodka. I think these are all foods that I am fine with and that this is a livable diet for me for a few days. (I'm not sure about the vodka but figure if I am still itching I will eliminate it too.) I will then add one food at a time and see what happens. Is this how you do an elimination diet?  

When you add a new food do you have to eat a lot of it?

Undecided

IP Logged

vicmjones
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 01/18/12 at 07:45:53

Ruth:  I hope I'm right about the Vodka at this point  it doesn't seem to cause me problems. I was thinking the same thing about the dates though, seems like something I would react to. Fruits seem to be one of the worst offenders.

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #9 - 02/16/12 at 13:09:50

My son is on a restricted diet due to his allergies and EE.  We have an appointment with Dr. Castells on May 1st to investigate MCAS. My son's baseline diet consists of: Chopped Meat, pork, raw golden delicious apples, raw bosc pears, mushrooms (occasionally), cucumber, black olives, broccoli, oats and maple syrup.  He can also tolerate light olive oil, corn free salt, and baking soda.  All foods are organic and must be cooked fresh daily.  

I also eat the same foods and am working on reintroducing sweet potatoes.

When we reintroduce a food we start with small quantities.  Keeping a log is helpful in figuring out triggers.

I know we're all different but coffee is a big no no for me.  

Good Luck,
Tina

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 02/21/12 at 16:39:29

Vic;
Do you get "organic" fruits?  I know certain fruits are triggers in & of themselves, but all the crap sprayed on them & in the ground probably doesnt help. I'd peel anything you try as an added measure...
Now, dont get the wrong idea, but I sure am glad we can (some of us anyway) have some clear liquid "stress relievers" too on occaision ! Wink
I myself like a little tequila from the freezer. Smiley Everytime Im on here I'm reminded to quit feeling sorry for myself, and be grateful for what I can have.
cheers!
lori

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #11 - 02/22/12 at 10:36:48

I get mild flushing, lip lining and hot with all foods so far; I'm only eating 13 foods now but add one every few days if my symptoms stay the same. First I eat a small amount then the next day more.

If my symptoms are similar and not definitively worse, I keep the food.

What I'm eating is listed on my blog

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #12 - 02/22/12 at 10:37:29

oh p.s. I'm eating all organic preservative and nut free

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #13 - 02/22/12 at 12:06:31

For anyone wanting to try Vodka, remember it's made using grains unless it says it's only from potato.  Other liquors are made using fermented grains, fruit, or potatoes that might be triggers, too.  Anything fermented can cause problems in some people.  I don't know if distilling removes all of the fermented material or not.

Sometimes alcohol triggers me, and sometimes not.  It must depend on the "bucket."

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #14 - 02/22/12 at 12:18:31

I feel lucky that I despise the taste of alcohol so it's not a problem for me. MISS chocolate and cheese though! Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print