Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can just breathing something you react to make you itch? (Read 5662 times)
vicmjones
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Can just breathing something you react to make you itch?
08/03/12 at 08:52:16

I am trying to teach my dog to alert me to wheat in my food as I react very strongly to it. He is doing very well with the training and is amazing but I am having a lot of trouble with training him regularly as just having the wheat in a container close to me (in my hand but I have someone else put it in the container) is making me itch for days. Am I imagining this or can just being near wheat make me itch?

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Can just breathing something you react to make you itch?
Reply #1 - 08/03/12 at 09:38:17

Inhaling can definitely cause symptoms for me. Even a tiny amount at a large distance. There is scientific debate about the validity of scent anaphylaxis etc, but there is no question in my mind that it is a real phenomenon for us mast cell people

IP Logged

vicmjones
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/03/12 at 11:20:11

Anaphylaxing wrote on 08/03/12 at 09:38:17:
Inhaling can definitely cause symptoms for me. Even a tiny amount at a large distance. There is scientific debate about the validity of scent anaphylaxis etc, but there is no question in my mind that it is a real phenomenon for us mast cell people

Thanks!  I never thought that just being near wheat would cause this but it really seems to be happening. I was starting to wonder if maybe I was just imagining things but I have ended up having to take medication several times after the training to get the itching to stop.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 08/03/12 at 13:10:14

Airborne latex is a big trigger for me!  So is silicone spray.  The worst symptoms are respiratory, but I sometimes get hives too.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 08/03/12 at 13:10:38

When we consider the molecular makeup of things, and the very tiny size of it, then why wouldn't inhalation be an issue?  

I, myself, have learned this lesson this past year since I too have become incredibly reactive to perfumes and even car exhaust.  I had a certain sensitivity to these when I was a kid, but the biggest reaction they created was a headache.  However, now I've had to go to the ER due to these reactions!  So, yes, they are VALID!

However, allow me to put in a twist to this.   You must not underestimate the psychological/emotional factor here.  It too is valid.  I'm not saying you're "crazy", for that's NOT the issue here.  However, our anxiety is indeed a major factor and within the stress system, extremely strong mediators are released to which the mast cell has numerous receptors!  In just getting anxious over that wheat being near you, you can trigger yourself into some very serious reacting, just due to that anxiety and the fight/flight mediators triggered from the stress system.    Can you see the chain of reactions I'm describing here?  They are indeed VALID reactions, but instead of it being the wheat itself, it may be your anxiety and fear of being triggered and having to deal with this that is creating your triggering and thus reacting.  

I would consider doing this, take some kind of a relaxant while you are doing this training, just to keep this factor from being involved.  Then, if you do end up reacting, the reaction is truly coming from the wheat itself and not your emotions.

I hope this helps.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

vicmjones
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 08/03/12 at 17:18:41

Thanks. Those reactions make more sense to me. I have had headaches from perfume or breathing issues from airborne stuff but never itching that I am aware of. That is why I am doubting this.  For instance when I go out to eat there are people around me that are eating wheat and I don't start itching. Maybe I will try Lisa's suggestion. I just think it is really weird for me not be able to touch a container with wheat inside it.  (This last time I made sure there was nothing on the outside of the container so I know I did not touch any wheat.)

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #6 - 08/03/12 at 20:14:17

I agree with Lisa it can be tough to decipher what's emotional and what's a separate trigger. With time you will get better at deciphering this.

I agree, I think it is safe to trust your instincts for now and then re-approach with caution or use of sedatives like Lisa mentioned.

I find usually when my body's giving me signals that things aren't ok, I can find something in the environment that's an issue, but it's a labour intensive process. Many of our reactions don't make a lot of sense, can change day to day and are things that are not commonplace to the rest of the world, part of why so many of us are written off as "just anxious" at various stages along the way.

You are doing a good job by trying to sort out what might be doing this to you!

Just yesterday I had to leave an organic grocery store because my throat started to swell from all of the organic scented products.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #7 - 08/04/12 at 13:44:04

Think about it gang, whoīs not going to get anxious when you have something come out of the dark, or out from behind you and wham you on the head with a heavy stick and practically knock you off your feet?!  If you do this to somebody more than twice, they're going to get paranoid about dark corners and anybody walking up behind them?!   Well, this is what happens with us, only we not only never SEE our aggressor, we can't even tell when he's going to come popping out at us!!!  

So, if we consider anaphylaxis in this light, as a mugger who comes out of nowhere and jumps us, can anyone blame us for getting anxious when we walk down the street?  And yet HOW MANY TIMES IN A ROW does this have to happen to us?  So, why should anybody blame us, especially our doctors, if we do get emotionally involved in the anxiety of history repeating itself?

Gosh, I can't tell you how many times now, when I step into an elevator and I can smell perfume around me, how I have to tell myself that no, this is NOT going to bother me, NOT THIS TIME IT WON'T!!    I literally must talk myself down so as not to emotionally trigger myself, which can be almost as explosive!!    I no longer am taken by surprise when it happens cause I've learned that this is not a freak thing.  So, in a way, I have found a means of dealing with my emotions so as that they are not adding to the "fun"!  Instead, I'm learning to be "cool" with the stupidity of it all.  In fact, the last time I hit the ER due to a perfume reaction the doctors were quite surprised that I was dealing with it so well!  I think they were more freaked out than I was!  It really makes me more mad at myself that yet one more time I got "caught" by the perfume, even though I know there's no real way to avoid it.  If it happens, it happens and no matter what I do can I revert it, but I can be quick to the draw and get meds into myself ASAP and that's been a help for then it gives me a means of counteracting it and if I still have to go to the ER, then it's cause there really was no other way around it.

So, although we are all SCARRED by doctors who have said "EMOTIONAL" you really must try to help yourself get over that for it does indeed become a factor.  Instead, just recognize that this can indeed be a factor and find a means of blowing off the anxiety so that you end up difusing that part of the bomb so that it doesn't add to the explosion.   I try to find something to laugh at - I find that laughter, even nervous laughter helps to distract myself from giving too much attention to what is distasteful.

I hope this helps!

Lisa

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #8 - 09/15/12 at 09:02:27

Maybe, it has something to do with the processing, if you are out to eat and people are eating bread, yes it is wheat but very processed. (Not as potent) When you are at home holding the container is it less processed?

Pam

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #9 - 09/25/12 at 02:45:48

Okay, letīs go to some basics, some things Iīm learning about.

When we talk about triggers and mast cells we are talking about MOLECULES.   Letīs all go back to our high school biology classes.  Consider the size of a cell and the size of molecules - weīre talking TINY, TINY!!!    

When we look at wheat flour or anything in a powder form we are looking at miniscule molecules.   We see most of them, but thereīs plenty for the eye to totally miss.   Yet, when you take that flour and mix it with things which bind those molecules together, like egg, milk, etc. and then add heat, you have force those molecules to bind together.    They are essentially the same but because they have been bound they are no longer free to wander at will with the wind or on the hands, etc.    

Yet, when you have it in its unbound form, then the process of pouring it from one container to another means that those molecules are loose and will easily become stuck on other things.  They wonīt be bound, but they will get stuck, like on the outside of a container, or on the outside of a bag, or on the inside of your nose.  Are you now able to see the picture?    Just because the flour is sealed inside of a hermatically closed container doesnīt mean some didnīt get airborne or fall on the outside of the container.  Then to pick up that container, since it was not bound, it will be losened in some fashion and thus either airborne or through your hand travel to your mouth and nose again.  

Are you able to see what Iīm talking about not?    And what about those packages that allow us to smell the product through the container - the molecules of the container have spaces between them which are larger than the molecules of the perfume or product.    Are you seeing the connection?

This is why some things are so very complicated for us for we must have a means of protecting ourselves, but Iīm coming to the opinion that part of the process, nasal wise, is to be using a nasal spray that has an MC stabilizer inside like nasalchrom.  By specifically targetting the mucus membranes in the nose this may be of real help to avoid triggering to smells so easily.   This is like using the eyedrops with ketotifen in that you target an area where the MC stabilzers donīt reach so well and get that medication right at a spot where you are most vulnderable.

I hope this makes sense.

Lisa

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #10 - 09/25/12 at 07:31:29

There are steroid nasal sprays, too, that might help.  The steroid stays primarily in the nasal passages and is not absorbed systemically to any great degree.  There are several brands, and I recommend asking your doctor which is the gentlest on the nose.  They're all Rx.

There was double blind study done a long time ago, according to my allergist, in which the researchers put one drop of milk in a huge vat of water, I don't remember how many gallons, maybe 25, and severely milk allergic patients still reacted to that great of a dilution.  It doesn't take much.

As an example of how strong the psychological factor can be, in another study, children who were allergic to roses began to wheeze when they walked into a room with an unscented, plastic rose in a vase!

Joan

IP Logged

frugalmama
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 09/28/12 at 14:55:57

As much as I understand the psychological aspect, I can also vouch for smells being a ridiculously bad trigger.  For months, I have been reacting to the smell of food cooking.  We now eat cold foods for breakfast and lunch, and my husband makes supper for us and the kids while I nap in the early evening - with my bedroom door closed and a towel under the door.  It's ridiculous!  And I know it's the smells, and not the emotional side of it, because times when he's left the door open and started cooking, or made grilled cheese or the like at lunch with me in the next room (no doors), and I've started reacting before I even woke up.  It's one of the most frustrating aspects of this right now Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print