Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Muscle Pain or Bone Pain or Both? (Read 3087 times)
TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Muscle Pain or Bone Pain or Both?
08/30/12 at 09:06:27

How does one tell the difference between muscle pain and bone pain?  Since March I have had a sickening dull pain in my arms and legs which I now think is bone pain, it wakens me in the early hours and often I cannnot get back to sleep due to it.  I also have achy arms sometimes which feel more like muscle pain - like lactic acid burn in my arms which hurts.  Recently I have been found to be deficient in Vitamin D and am now taking supplements, whether this will help with the pain I don't know?.  I am aware that mast cell disorders can be linked to osteopenia and osteoporosis.  I have always thought that bone pain and muscle pain is probably subjective.  Am still going thru' the diagnostic process so don't have a definitive diagnosis as yet, but its looking likely to be MCAS.  How do you differentiate this pain and how do you remedy it, also should I be requesting investigations into what it is? Would a bone marrow biopsy be useful?

Thanks Wink

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Muscle Pain or Bone Pain or Both?
Reply #1 - 09/08/12 at 03:17:43

Hi TallBird,

A couple of quick thoughts for you...

I find that massage helps a lot with muscle pain.  Have you ever had one?  I've started getting them on a regular basis (every 3-4 weeks) and it makes me feel better both physically and emotionally.  The place I go only does massage, which means that nobody is trying to sell me "products" and the air is not filled with chemicals Smiley

Regarding the bone marrow biopsy... have you had your tryptase measured yet?  This is just a blood test.  A normal result doesn't rule out a mast cell disorder, but it's a pretty good indication that you have a normal number of mast cells in your body.  If that's the case, a bone marrow biopsy is very unlikely to give you any useful information.  Another test you could think about is a DEXA scan, which measures your bone density.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Muscle Pain or Bone Pain or Both?
Reply #2 - 09/08/12 at 05:58:55

Hi Heather

I have had my tryptase measured and it was 'normal' at '5' so presumably this puts me in the realms of MCAS rather than SM?    I'm uncertain what the next stage is, however I think I may have to do some further tests to demonstrate that some of my mediators are raised.

Whilst I like the sound of having a massage, I really don't think I would want anyone touching my arms and legs as they can be so painful at times.  Most days they are sore.  As I said I don't know whether its bone or muscle pain - is this normal for mast cell disorders?  The bone denisty scan sounds like a good idea given that I am Vitamin D deficient.

Thanks Heather for your advice.   Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print