Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
red dots? (Read 9053 times)
jmayk8
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

red dots?
04/15/12 at 03:05:37

I have these tiny red dots all over. I asked my derm about them a couple of months ago and she said it's just part of the aging process. Well that was when I just had a handful. Now they are on my forearms, thighs, stomach, chest breasts etc...I tried googling it and it came up with petechiae. I don't know if it's common with my mast cell disorder? I have an appt with my PC tomorrow to follow up with some blood work since my WBC have been very low for the past few months. So does anyone have any info on these tiny red pin dots I have?
Thanks Smiley
Jenny

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: red dots?
Reply #1 - 04/15/12 at 04:43:08

yup have lots of them along with brown spots and darker brown spots...I have always considered them just part of my UP masto
redbird

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 04/15/12 at 07:15:44

I get petechiae all the time.  Any little bump will produce them (or even a bruise).  Once I made the mistake of riding the "Tower of Power" ride (free fall) with my daughter and I had quite an impressive shower of petechiae on my legs!  My platelet count is fine though... so are all my clotting factors.  The WHO consensus document lists "abnormal bleeding" as one possible symptom of mast cell disorders.

Heather

ps - I don't have UP or SM... I don't even have the c-kit mutation

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

jmayk8
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 04/15/12 at 07:52:27

thanks for your responses!

IP Logged

Julie M.
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
DC Metro area
Reply #4 - 04/15/12 at 13:08:04

If it was identified as "age related" I would wonder if it is a "cherry angioma".  Here's a pic:

http://fromyourdoctor.com/topic.do?title=Angioma+Cherry&t=6697

I can't imagine why a doctor would say that petechiae is age related when it's connected to a blood disorder.

Either way, good to check with you doctor again!

Julie

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 04/15/12 at 15:04:14

I have a couple of angiomas too (like on my chest), however... petechiae fade away after a few days.  Then new ones come up in different places.  Cherry angioamas look very similar, but never fade and are always in the same location.  If you're ever in doubt, just circle the dots with a permanent marker and watch to see if they disappear or not.  

Heather

ps - Permanent marker is not as "permanent" as it sounds... on skin it wears off in a few days.

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 04/16/12 at 03:50:11

Jenny;
Has the dermatologist done a skin biopsy on them ? You could have TMEP. I found out about mine that way. The first dermatologist blew it off, btu at a recheck with an associate- she was wise enough to do a skin biopsy. They were like tiny red pinpoint "freckles". Some leave behiind brown specks.
good luck!
lori

IP Logged

jmayk8
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 04/16/12 at 06:51:19

I have a derm appt in a few weeks. I will have her ck. I just got back from my PC and he just blew me off!

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 04/16/12 at 10:35:28

I have these all over, too.  Are you sensitive to salicylates? I am very sensitive to them and started getting these shortly after it started.  And, they are a blood thinner.  My (completely amateur) theory is that it has something to do with the blood-thinning effects of salicylates.

IP Logged

jmayk8
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 04/16/12 at 11:11:45

Im not sure, Im new to all of this... so I guess i will have to do some research and test salicylates.
Thanks
Jenny

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #10 - 04/17/12 at 09:54:25

Hm.. I have some little red dots that are constant, mostly on my chest and few of them on my face.

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 08/24/12 at 20:50:19

I also have these and understand that one of the mediators released (heparin possibly?) causes bleeding when mast cells degranulate.  I get small haemorrhages in my mouth also.   Cry

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #12 - 10/02/12 at 16:50:11

Okay, I have these all over as well.  I have no idea what my platlet count.  Is this somethng that should be check periodicly?  I do know that when I have had small cuts I bleed way more than I used to.  I figured this was from thinned blood.  Can it be too thin?   Is this a problem for any one.  If it too thin is there a med to take to thicken it up?  I have been wondering about this for awhile.  I had a hang nail that would not stop bleeding...thought that was a bit strange.
Okay, thanks for advice~
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print