Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
metallic taste (Read 6023 times)
FarmerJane
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

metallic taste
07/03/12 at 15:27:42

Has anyone every experienced a metallic taste in their mouths during an anaphylactic episode? What causes it?

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: metallic taste
Reply #1 - 07/03/12 at 17:12:28

This article, on the FAAN website (Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network), mentions metallic taste in the mouth as a symptom of anaphylaxis:  http://www.foodallergy.org/section/a

Here's one part of it:

"An anaphylactic reaction may begin with a tingling sensation, itching, or a metallic taste in the mouth. Other symptoms can include hives, a sensation of warmth, wheezing or other difficulty breathing, coughing, swelling of the mouth and throat area, vomiting, diarrhea, cramping, a drop in blood pressure, and loss of consciousness. These symptoms may begin within several minutes to two hours after exposure to the allergen, but life-threatening reactions may get worse over a period of several hours."

It's a good article if you have time to read all of it.  Of course, for mast cell disorders, we replace "allergen" with "trigger."

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #2 - 07/03/12 at 21:11:33

I had such a taste anytime anything was injected into my IV while in hospital be it saline or medication. I think I was reacting to the physical change of the injection, part of it I wonder if might've been the temperature as even the saline flushes were very cold. For surgery in people like us they recommend warming fluids.

I'd also often get palpitations with it.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 07/04/12 at 01:54:00

Injections in bolus, if given too fast will cause histamine release in mast cells.  

If you get a copy to Nancy Gouldīs guide for surgery it is suggested that not only the IV meds be warmed, but that the table be a warm table as well as keeping the body temperature is important.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 07/04/12 at 03:51:03

just to pop in on this dicussion...
I took Nancy's surgery notes with me and gave them to the surgeon for my surgery in May...
he said it was an excellent document and he read all of it and gave copies to all that would be helping.
also in the ER during my attacks in using bendryl I have always been told and tell the nurses who are giving it....and it is documented in my records as well as the ER documents that I carry with me...give
SLOWLY...and slowly means like over a 2 minute time...
redbird

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #5 - 07/05/12 at 02:41:33

redbird,

Can you tell us if a copy of those notes are available anywhere so that others can use it?

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 07/05/12 at 03:02:16

Ms. Deb...don't think they are online any where maybe I could scan a copy and email it to you...we would need to get Nancy's permission before posting I think..
spoke to her in regard to how the doctor liked them
redbird

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print