Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Huge swollen lymph node (Read 3121 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Huge swollen lymph node
06/22/12 at 01:37:54

Sigh...

I've had problems with swollen lymph nodes before.  In 2009 I had a big one near my jugular vein surgically removed to make sure it wasn't cancer (it wasn't).  I have a smaller (now permanent) lump on the side of my neck, but scans have showed that it's nothing to worry about.  It stopped growing when I added Singulair to my medications.

Anyway... I'm on vacation right now.  Last week my sister and I took our kids to a carnival and I rode a few rides with them (my son wasn't tall enough to ride on his own... you should have seen the puppy-dog look on his face).  The next day I felt like I had the flu... achy all over.  The lymph nodes in my neck were achy (pretty normal for me), but I didn't notice any unusual swelling.  Two days ago my mom and I took the kids to the Mall of America and I went on a bunch of rides.  By the end of the day that all-over achy, flu-like feeling was back.  I was even running a fever.  This time, a lymph node around my parotid gland is swollen to a huge size!  It feels approximately like a golf ball was cut in half and slipped under my skin.  Today it's not so achy, but the swelling hasn't really gone down.  Angry  Incidentally, none of my other nodes are swollen, not even on the other side of my neck.

Anyone have a similar experience?  Maybe this is temporary (I hope so), but I haven't had a lymph node swell up quite so big before.  It's painful to turn my head when I'm driving!

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Huge swollen lymph node
Reply #1 - 06/22/12 at 10:35:27

Mine go up and down like crazy. Enlarging ones in my right neck were my first symptom. Mine ache when I'm sick or reacting. I was all panicked at first and had them imaged with ultrasound

Sounds like you're keeping an eye on it because as I'm sure you know if it's infected you might need some treatment but hopefully it's just inflamed.

Oh my gosh, I am so glad you could go on rides! That gives me hope thanks for mentioning it

Hope you're felling better soon

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 06/22/12 at 13:22:48

Hope it's nothing, Heather. Keep us posted!!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #3 - 06/23/12 at 07:23:06

Heather,

I have the same thing going on with the lymph node on the right side of my neck.  Keep getting on and off stabbing pain and ache on that side.  I don't feel sick, I have been having a good few days now.  So I don't know what's going on.  The pain will radiate down to my collar bone area.  If you figure out what it could be let me know.

Wendy

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #4 - 06/27/12 at 14:46:56

Bit of an update...

The achy, flu-like feeling is gone (yay).  The swelling is better, but there's still a lump about an inch wide and two inches long.  Much like the lymph node I had removed in 2009, this one doesn't hurt and it moves around easily in my neck.  Hmmm.  It's probably the same thing as last time, but unless it disappears in the next two weeks (when my vacation is done) I suppose I better bring it to my doctor's attention  Roll Eyes

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Sweet Tea
Rookie

Never ever ever give up

Charlotte, NC
Reply #5 - 07/05/12 at 14:37:22

I get the nodes in my neck more than anywhere, and they come and go under the amazement of the internal medicine physicians. I had 3 near my thyroid and a radiologist at MUSC (Charleston, SC) was crazy with worry. They went away, after the stress did.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print