Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do your GI issues get worse as the day progresses? (Read 3560 times)
KatFromMD
Ex Member

Do your GI issues get worse as the day progresses?
05/15/12 at 04:53:22

I have an initial appt. next month with Dr. Afrin and I'm fairly convinced I have a mast cell issue, but I haven't seen anyone mention this pattern of symptoms, and it makes me question if this is something else.

I have the bloating/pain/gas that people describe, and loose bowel movements, but my GI symptoms seem to be minimal in the morning (other than the loose BM), and get progressively worse during the day so that by bedtime my belly is huge, painful, and full of gas.

When I'm having a big GI flare I pretty much don't want to eat all day long, and everything seems to set it off, but most of the time I'm not bad in the morning, become more uncomfortable after lunch, and pretty unhappy after dinner.

The only explanation I can come up with is that after 14 hours of no food to irritate the GI tract, everything settles down, and then as I eat throughout the day, I antagonize it more and more.

I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this?  Thanks for your thoughts!

-Kat

P.S.  My dear husband keeps telling me to take gas-x for the gas/bloating (and I keep telling him I've tried and it just doesn't help).  Have you found anything that does help?  (I already take 1 or 2 Zantac before lunch and 2 before dinner.)

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Re: Do your GI issues get worse as the day progresses?
Reply #1 - 05/15/12 at 06:43:54

Kat,

I have the really bad GI stuff.  Sometimes I look 9 months pregnant.  Lots of times its fluid build up too.  When I bloat really bad the only thing that helps is Liquid dye free benedryl.  If you do have masto, its probably all the mast cells in your gut partying and causing the bloating and fluid build up.  Once or twice a week I have to take 40mgs of Lasiks (water pill) because the degranulation causes me to retain alot of fluid in my abdomin.  Oh yeah, did the gas/x too  doesn't work

Wendy

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 05/15/12 at 07:26:44

Quote:
I have the bloating/pain/gas that people describe, and loose bowel movements, but my GI symptoms seem to be minimal in the morning (other than the loose BM), and get progressively worse during the day so that by bedtime my belly is huge, painful, and full of gas.

Yep.  That's my pattern too.  I feel good in the morning, but it gets worse as the day goes on... especially after meals.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any medication that helps once the bloating has started.  Prevention is the key.  For me that includes taking Gastrocom plus strict avoidance of trigger foods (especially gluten and bananas).  If the pain is really bad... if Tylenol is not enough... you might want to get a prescription for tramadol.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 05/15/12 at 09:36:55

Hi Kat,

Have you tried eliminating specific food groups for 10 days or so (such as all dairy products) to see if that helps.  If you're off a food for that amount of time and then try it again, you should know very quickly if that has been causing your problems.  You can also try a full elimination diet which is a very restricted diet for a period of time and then adding back foods/food groups one at a time every few days.  That would tell you specifically which foods are causing problems.  To complicate matters, sometimes it's combinations of foods that cause things to kick up.  My friend can eat tomatoes and avocados separately, but she reacts if she has them together!

It could be more than one food or group of foods, so an elimination diet is the best way to figure it out.  If you do this, first read about it to make sure you do it correctly.

Heather, do you mind posting Dr. Castells' elimination diet again?  It's the strictest one I've heard, but that's a good thing if you really want to find out what's happening.  The one I've used involved cutting back to lamb, rice, and  winter squash for 10 days, then adding one food back every 3rd day.  

When adding back, use the pure food first, such as try milk before you try cheese.  Try fresh cheese at a different time from when you try aged cheese, etc.  Be sure to consider how much fat or oil you're consuming, too.  At first it should be none, and all food should be steamed or broiled or roasted without added fat.

Have you tried any digestive enzymes?  If you eat a high meat or high protein diet, you might get benefit from those.  I take bromelain before a meal that's heavy on protein and/or animal fat.

Joan

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/15/12 at 11:36:22

Thanks y'all for reassuring me that this is relatively "normal".  And for giving me support to tell my husband to stop pushing the Gas-x and Beano!!!   Grin

The possibility of fluid buildup is interesting, as that might help explain why the gas seems to have such trouble gurgling its way on through as if it's in a very restricted environment.  I've happily never looked 9 months pregnant (you poor thing Wendy!), but last night I was showing my husband my "baby bump" and told him that I could feel the "baby" kicking!!  (Boy, did he not appreciate the joke.)  Wink

I agree one hundred percent that the best way to deal with it is to avoid triggers.  My biggest ones are vinegar and soy sauce (the deadly fermented duo).  I've worked on finding spices that I can safely use in place of vinegar to give my food some flavor (I never realized just how many yummy things have vinegar in them!!).

I do my best to follow the low histamine diet.  It's just really hard, as a vegetarian, to find protein sources that I can eat.  It seems that I can thankfully eat some soy, though the less processed, the better.  The only dairy I'm consuming is a little feta here and there, since it isn't aged.

I hadn't thought about fats that much, since I absolutely can't handle fried foods and eat pretty healthy fare.  I suppose I could use less olive oil when grilling fresh veggies, but that's really the most fat I add.

I haven't used a digestive enzyme in awhile...I suppose I could try one again.  I'm hoping that if Dr. Afrin says I likely do have a mast cell disorder that he'll give the green light to my GP prescribing Gastrocrom or Ketotifen, and that maybe I can expand my diet a bit more with that.

Unfortunately, it seems one of my biggest triggers is still stress, and that's a little harder to eliminate!

Thanks again for all of your thoughts, and keep them coming!!!!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 05/15/12 at 16:29:23

The elimination diet I did would be tough for a vegetarian!

For the first four weeks I ate:

- Fresh meat (beef, buffalo, chicken, turkey)
- Sweet potatoes
- Blueberries
- Dates
- Clarified butter (ghee)
- White rice

After that I started adding other foods back in, with the exception of  seafood, grains, foods related to latex, foods related to ragweed, and foods that are high in histamine (aged cheese, canned tuna, etc...).  I added foods back in a little quicker than I probably should have, but that initial four-week diet was soooooo boring!

The elimination diet worked MUCH better than I expected.  I already knew I had a mast cell disorder, but I was having some new problems with abdominal angioedema and it helped me figure out one of the big triggers (foods related to latex).  

BTW... I didn't know this before I started, but apparently when dogs are having GI problems they put them on a very similar diet... sweet potatoes, blueberries, meat, and rice.  Roll Eyes

Heather

ps - Kat... do you eat eggs?  How about beans and lentils?  Seeds and nut butters?  Just thinking about non-meat protein sources.

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Julie M.
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
DC Metro area
Reply #6 - 05/16/12 at 01:15:50

Hi Kat,

OMG, yes, yes and yes!  GI symptoms were what I initially experienced when all the MC issues kicken in a few years back.  I had the WORST bloating, cramping, nausea, D alternating with C, etc.  In terms of the bloating, I can remember telling my husband I needed one size pants to wear in the AM and a completely different size to wear in the evening!  It was not only painful but ridiculous looking too.

In time, I figured out that food was a major trigger for the bloating, just as others have suggested.  I agree wholeheartedly with Heather...prevention is key.

Like you, I'm a vegatarian, which does make elimination diets a little more challenging.  But, I had foods that I was suspicious were making things worse, so I would go off of them for a few weeks and then add them (one at a time of course) back in to my diet.  

As a result of the my elimination trials, I eventually went off all gluten.  (I realize this is very "trendy" right now, but I was soooo much better off gluten and then so sick with GI issues again when I went back on gluten, there was no denying the connection.)  Also, I had to give up soy which turned out to be a HUGE trigger for the bloating.  You can imagine how hard this was as a vegetarian, given that soy is a key ingredient in many prepared veggie dishes.  But, going soy free greatly reduced the bloating.  In keeping with giving up soy, I gave up all legumes.  Another hard decision, but worth it in the end.  The connection between severe bloating and legumes was undeniable.  I don't get near legumes now, in any form or fashion!

Because my initial diagnosis was mastocytic enterocolitis I was also placed on Entocort by my gastroenterologist.  It helped greatly with the bloating and associated GI symptoms.  I was on the Entocort for quite awhile.  He also placed me on a probiotic (Align) and that also helped a great deal.  These meds in conjunction with the antihistamines and change in diet helped me get my GI symptoms under much better control.  I still have GI issues flare up, but they are greatly reduced in severity and frequency now.

In case you are interested here's an article my GI doc co-authored on the role of MCs in GI issues.  He is a big believer that GI docs need to be looking for the connection between GI distress and MCs more frequently.  He's just around the Beltway for you so if you need a GI doc that has a proven track record in understanding MCs triggering GI problems, he's the guy for you!  I cannot say enough good things about him.  Here's the link for the article:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3033552/

Beano, GasX, I've heard it all from my DH as well.  Might as well just take a sugar pill!

Julie

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 05/16/12 at 03:24:18

Great article Julie, thank you.  Explains it in such a clear and understandable way. Lucky you having such a great GI doctor.

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/16/12 at 05:39:27

Heather -

Now I'm totally confused! Dates and berries (and I assume this includes blueberries) are on the DO NOT eat column on the low-histamine diet.  I've been trying hard to avoid them, and you had them as one of the few things you could eat?!  Sheesh.  But then I don't know which low-histamine diet to believe.  They all seem to agree on the big things like fermented/aged stuff, but not on some of the minor things.

(Now that you mention it, I have seen those same ingredients on special diets for pets as well!!)

I don't care for a lot of eggs, but I do eat some, as well as beans.  I've been avoiding nuts to some extent, because they seemed to be bothering me.  I guess I need to experiment and see which ones are problematic.  Right now I'm trying to determine if it's the PB, the Jam, or both that are giving me intermittent problems with our favorite go-to travel food!  (I'm trying PB & honey, as I suspect it might be the blackberry preserves.)

Julie -

I laughed out loud at your description of pant sizes!! I couldn't figure out how I could have dropped as much weight as I had and STILL not have any pants that fit, until I finally realized just how huge my belly gets sometimes.  I can go out to visit friends in pants that fit and be strangling in them by the time we come home.

I've gone off of gluten before to try to help with headaches/dizziness, but that was before my GI issues got so bad, so I'm not sure if it made a difference there.  However, soft white bread seems to be one of the few things, along with rice, that are okay when I'm really flaring, so I'm guessing I'm okay with gluten.

The soy thing is really hard to deal with.  It seems that the more processed a food is, the more trouble I have with it.  Tempeh (basically just soy beans pressed together) are okay, but texturized vegetable protein made into something like a veggie burger doesn't do as well.  Soy milk still seems to be okay.

I find it interesting that Align helped you.  I've been taking it for months now and finally decided to stop wasting money on it as it really hasn't helped at all.  I may be interested in seeing your GI doc after I see Dr. Afrin!  It would be nice to have docs who actually understand what's going on in my body.  The article was interesting...I'll be curious to see if my old biopsy samples show anything, as it says everything can look normal but they can still find lots of mast cells.

So, if you can't have gluten and you can't have soy or any legumes, what the heck do you eat?!!!!  I don't have the energy to make all sorts of special things, my husband and I can't seem to have the same things for dinner any more, and I have no idea what to eat when we travel!  

Thanks so much for sharing....after I read a few quotes from these posts to my husband we both laughed and remarked that at least I'm not alone in this weirdness!   Grin

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #9 - 05/16/12 at 10:11:18

Quote:
Now I'm totally confused! Dates and berries (and I assume this includes blueberries) are on the DO NOT eat column on the low-histamine diet.  I've been trying hard to avoid them, and you had them as one of the few things you could eat?!  Sheesh.  But then I don't know which low-histamine diet to believe.  They all seem to agree on the big things like fermented/aged stuff, but not on some of the minor things.

My personal philosophy on the low-histamine diet is that all mast cell patients are wise to avoid foods that contain a lot of histamine.  The worst offenders are seafood, canned tuna, leftover meats (I can't go past 48 hours), and anything fermented or aged.  All the other fruits, vegetables, and spices on those lists are "histamine-releasing."  Well... just about anything CAN be histamine-releasing.  It depends on your personal triggers.  Here's my take on the list of "allowed" fruits on the ICUS list.

-------------
Apple -- high in salicylates, cross-reactive with tree pollen
Banana -- cross-reactive with latex (I can NOT eat these)
Cantaloupe -- related to ragweed (I avoid it)
Figs
Grapefruit -- yuck (it doesn't bother me... I just don't like it)
Grapes
Honeydew -- related to ragweed (I avoid it)
Kiwi -- cross-reactive with latex (I don't dare)
Lemon
Lime
Mango
Pear
Rhubarb
Watermelon -- related to ragweed (I avoid it)
----------

Oranges are the only thing on the "avoid" list that I personaly need to eat in moderation (small amounts are fine).  I've also noticed that pomegranate juice is a problem... that's not on the list at all.

IMO, the ICUS list is a really good place to start... but it's only a place to start.  You're better off keeping your diet as varied as possible.

http://www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm

Heather
« Last Edit: 05/16/12 at 15:31:21 by Starflower »  

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/16/12 at 11:34:07

Wow Heather, thanks, that makes SO much sense.  I MUST avoid the things that themselves contain lots of histamine (which I think I already am doing), but I should test out the other things to see if I'm reactive to them (like soy, which ICUS says to avoid but I can eat in some forms).  Otherwise I may be unnecessarily restricting my diet.

I'm ready to embark on lots of experimentation!!    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print