Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fevers and slow pulse (Read 5259 times)
hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Fevers and slow pulse
12/10/11 at 07:38:57

Do any of you with MCAS get random fevers?  I went to see my local hematologist the other day and the nurse told me I had a low grade fever.  I didn't have any signs of an infection anywhere.  The doctor said he wasn't concerned.  The weird thing is that I always have a high pulse when I go to the doctor (probably due to stress, etc).  On this day, my pulse was 70 which I found odd.  Normally, I'm above 100.  So I came home and started taking my pulse.  Turns out that the severe muscle pains, hand/leg swelling, stabbing pains in my legs I have been having for a few months (only at rest) are all happening when my heart rate is down in the 40s with bp usually around 90/60.  That doesn't seem good...tells me I'm not getting enough blood supply to certain parts of my body.  Any ideas how I can get my hr up at rest?    

I am taking Allegra, Zantac, Zyrtec, Singulair, Nasalcrom at the MCAS recommended doses and stopped my beta blocker over 6 months ago.  

I know I need to get this checked out but wanted to see if anyone had similar issues or insight.  Thanks so much!

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Re: Fevers and slow pulse
Reply #1 - 12/10/11 at 10:07:25

I have random low grade fevers too. That is probably because mast cell degranulation.

About swelling, pain, HR and BP: what does your cardiologist say? Have you been monitored with 24h Holter monitor?

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 12/11/11 at 04:07:01

Hi Enko.  That's good to know about the fevers. I have not seen a cardiologist in over a year.  He diagnosed me with POTS and put me on Propranolol about two years ago.  After I went into anaphylactic shock this summer, I weened myself off the BB on my own.  Then I was diagnosed with MCAS so I knew that was the right decision.   I have had several 24 hour monitors....even a 30 day monitor.  I varied from 50 up to 180 bpm on any given day.  It's just recently that I seem to be getting even lower but the tachy is actually improved.  Honestly, I don't know which is worse Smiley  These mast cell disorders are very hard to understand!!!

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #3 - 12/11/11 at 05:23:11

Hey hb, I used to get low grade temps also. I also used to think it was pre-menapausal. HA! I even had my hormone levels checked but they were fine. Now I have learned it was most likely from mast cells. I do not know if I still have low grade fevers or not because I got tired of checking it every time I got warmed up.

As for your low Heart Rate (HR), first I would double check with the doctor that did the halter tests on you. Let him know that you have a new symptom. Prior to seeing him/her I would start keeping a journal/record of your Blood Pressure (BP) and HR to take to the doctor. I did this with mine. He said he had never had anyone come in with a journal of date/time/bp, hr/symptoms before, but he liked it and asked me to keep up with it. He asks me for it everytime I see him Smiley Before I go on, just keep in mind that we are all different and I think your first priority should be to discuss this with your doctor. Moving on now with my personal thoughts. I was freaked out when my heart started going HIGH and then LOW. Freaking out probably didn't help matters Roll Eyes
What I have learned about my issue is when my bp goes low I'm generally reacting or should we say my mast cells are having a party! I usually have a few other symptoms (these symptoms change from episode to episode). For example: I may feel palpitations and take my bp/hr only to find it's lower then my norm. Sometimes it's not palpatations but my lips and cheeks on my face start tingling. Other times it may be that I get naucious. See what I'm saying. It's not consistant. Then there's the times I feel the other symptoms but my bp/hr is normal. We won't go into that.
If my bp/hr are low but I feel ok otherwise, I simply stay seated or lay down for a bit. I remain calm and try to relax. Usually within 15-20 min. it goes back up to normal. If I have other symptoms that accompany the low bp/hr (light headed, tingly, naucious, etc) I take a dose of benedryl. I get sleepy but eventually my bp/hr goes back to normal and the other symptoms disappear as well.
This is just my personal experience and may or may not work for you. I do hope that you are able to find SOMETHING that will work. Just, please, be sure to address it with your doctor.

Kim

IP Logged

hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 12/12/11 at 14:22:47

Thanks Kim!  I am going to try the Benadryl next time it gets low and see how that goes.  I am also going to check with Dr. Afrin too to see if he thinks I need to see my cardiologist or if we need to adjust/add to my mast cell meds.  I have seen several cardiologists in the last few years and they have not been much help to me but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be checked out.

How are you doing on your MCAS meds?  Doing better?  Sometimes I think I am and other days I don't think so.  I finally have a local doc to work with.  Next time I go in I am going to talk to him about Ketotifen and doxepin.  Maybe those will help Smiley  I think Nasalcrom is helping me...just wish I could pour it into my belly!!

take care!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 12/12/11 at 17:19:15

Have you talked with your doctor about Gastrocrom, which IS Nasalcrom for the belly?

Joan

IP Logged

hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 12/13/11 at 09:51:53

Thanks Joan!  Yes, I did ask him but he said something like "that drug is so expensive and I have no idea if your insurance would cover it" and then just moved on.  So the next time I see him, I am going to push for that or Ketotifen.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print