Send Topic Print
back again (Read 6445 times)
jane
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

back again
12/02/11 at 05:30:57

Hi everyone -

I joined the forum in July. Thank you for all the support!! One day, all my symptoms vanished. I felt great for 2 months, completely symptoms free. Then over the course of the next 2 months things progressively got worse but I was trying to attribute it to anxiety and a possible food sensitivity. I felt woozy at first then more intense things started happening and the stress in my life skyrocketed. I now have horrible acid reflux and a recently found "trace" of blood in urine. I also have an extremely low hormone count. Now I am back to the phase I was at when I last joined - reacting severely to everything I eat. I'm sorry I deserted you all last time but I need you again! My tryptase has been everything from 12-20, seems to fluctuate. Last reading was 13. Allergist is sending me to hematology/oncology. I am scared the mast cell problem progressed extensively during the time off meds and the 2 months I was trying to convince myself this is something else. I am taking at least 2 10mg zyrtecs a day, 2 150 mg rantinidine and a benadryl as needed. I still feel awful.

Please help me again! You are all such wonderfully, supportive people.

Thank you...jane

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: back again
Reply #1 - 12/02/11 at 21:56:32

Hi Jane!   Welcome to the forum.  Iīm sorry that you had to come back.  But Iīm glad that if you are needing help you felt free to return.  Thatīs good.

Jane, your not taking the meds didnīt and canīt make your masto progress, it doesnīt work that way.  Taking the meds wonīt stop itīs progression either.  What taking those meds do is give us stability and if you are of the autoimmune form, that stability is important for the less you react, the less your system acts up and reacts to itīs own self.   But we all can get into flares and also get out of them and this is what I think is happening with you.  The period that things had calmed down was where you had managed some stability, but by being off the meds, whatever it was that rocked the boat came around and put you back into another flare.   Thatīs all.  Your masto has not progressed Jane.  One thing Dr. Castells emphasizes is that the symptoms are NOT indicators as to the severity of the disease.  You must try to ignore the symptoms in that aspect.   If you tryptase isnīt yet above 20 then your masto is not severe enough to even diagnose SM, which is a more severe form of a mast cell disorder.   The severity of the sisease is judged by our CBCs, BMBs and tryptase levels.   This is how you know how much your masto has progressed.

If your doctor isnīt looking like this Shocked  when you see him, and is only looking like this Undecided then you should look like this Smiley.

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

jane
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 12/03/11 at 04:39:17

Thank you, Lisa. That is so very helpful and hopeful. I am so scared confused by this whole process. It is relieving just to have some validation. ....jane

IP Logged

gutless_mystery
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
INDIANA
Reply #3 - 12/03/11 at 14:01:05

When you say cbc...what abnormalties are you looking at?  low  or high numbers?

also, just because the tryptase numbers are "normal" does it mean it can't affect our liver and other systems?  My tryptase is wnl but my liver numbers are high and  my cbc's are never normal, but always on the high end.  I'm not anemic.   Just wondering.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #4 - 12/04/11 at 13:04:54

Hi Jane,

I'm sorry that you've been feeling like poo, but I'm glad you came back to us!  

I want to echo what Lisa said.  Your tryptase is still in the normal range, so don't give SM a second thought!  The most important thing is finding a way to get your symptoms under control.  Fortunately, there are still lots of things you can try...

- A mast cell stabilizer
- A leukotriene inhibitor
- Higher doses of H1/H2 antihistamines
- The low-histamine diet
- Figuring out any other triggers you have and avoiding them... heat, exercise, standing in line, sunlight, pressure, etc...
- Strict avoidance of anything you're allergic to (just this year I figured out that I'm allergic to latex and related foods... I wasn't before)
- Stress reduction! (I know that's easier said than done)

The "trace" of blood in your urine is not a big deal.  Honestly... I've been down this road and caused myself a lot of unnecessary worry.  The time to worry is when your kidney function (GFR) starts dipping below 60% or your kidneys are leaking more than 1 gram of protein per day (you can tell with a 24-hour urine test)... and I'm guessing you're nowhere near that.

Hugs,
Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 12/04/11 at 13:12:17

To the best of my knowledge, the CBCs would be showing anemia, for Systemic masto invades the marrow and thus crowds out other cells, that being the red blood cells being the most important.  I'm not sure what it would do with the platelets or with the leucocytes, but I believe they'd be low as well.   I've shown a bit of anemia at times and low white blood cells as well, but usually I'm in normal ranges.    But then, I honestly can't tell you what the exact danger signs would be with masto, but one thing I'm sure of, anything way high or way low is going to make your doctor jump.  It's the close to normal readings that they don't get too concerned about for it's normal to have fluctuations with your red and white blood counts.  So, as long as you're not way above normal or way below normal, don't freak.  

As to the liver and normal tryptase.   MCAS patients have indeed been found to have liver problems.   I have an article based upon this finding and if anyone wants a copy, it's just a matter of sending me your email and telling me what you want and I'll send the copy of it.

Lisa

IP Logged

jane
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 12/05/11 at 05:30:23

I am having a hard time getting this under control - reacting to everything i ingest including water. it seems beyond my ability to stop it. it is worsening even though i have not eaten since saturday. i am practicing stress reduction, taking 180mg allegra, 10mg zyrtec, 300+mg zantac daily. not enough it seems. where can i get a stabilizer? i haven't even been diagnosed with MCAD or anything else yet but i did send a message to my allergist to prescribe me a stabilizer. can i simply order the drug myself??? i will pay any price for my well-being right now.

scared but trying to remain hopeful...jane

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #7 - 12/05/11 at 05:37:30

Jane,

I understand the panic, but you don't seem to be properly medicated!  Since the antihistamines are over the counter, it's within your power to adjust these and that is what I would suggest.   I'm not a doctor and each of us has such different systems, but when I get into trouble, this is what I do for myself for I've learned that although I've got my doctor who has established for me a set regimine, she and my other doctors recognize that I have no other choice but to step in with more antihistamines at times.  

I'm on allegra 180mg 2x/day
Ranitdine 300mg 2x/day
Singulair 10mg 2x/day
Ketotifen 6mg 1x/day

When I get into trouble I will take extras of both allegra and ranitidine - usually allegra since it is my most reliable medication.  yet, if I'm having loads of diarrhea then I'll hit in with that since it has a stronger focus on the gastric/intestinal issues.

I take these meds at 6am and then again at 6pm and this will fluctuate on some days when I have more activity then I will move up my evening dose to as early as 4:30 at times.  

I hope this helps!

Lisa

IP Logged

jane
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 12/05/11 at 05:41:12

are singular and ketotifan something i need a prescription for?

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #9 - 12/05/11 at 05:49:10

I'm afraid so, Jane, yes.    Singulair has made an amazing difference for both me and Heather.  It's brought to the both of us STABILITY and ENERGY!!   I have had an impressive improvement due to taking singulair and it would be a great help to you, I think.  

It may be, however, that you don't tolerate it.  Unfortunately that is a possibility, but you won't know that until after you begin taking it.  

Definitely talk with your doctors about these meds for Ketotifen is a MC stabilizer and VERY IMPORTANT for calming down those mast cells.

Lisa

IP Logged

jane
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 12/05/11 at 05:56:38

unfortunately she is out of the office today. i sent her a message but i sincerely doubt she will help me as i haven't even been diagnosed with anything - they all think it's anxiety.

IP Logged

jane
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 12/05/11 at 05:58:34

what about gastrocom? is that like ketotifen? can i get that without presciption?

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #12 - 12/05/11 at 06:08:30

Gastrocrom is like Singulair and Ketotifen, you need a script.

Jane, I've written you a PM, check your inbox.  

Lisa

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #13 - 12/05/11 at 09:11:04

Jane, try taking 300mg of zantac twice daily(600mg). Thats what many of us have to take. Here is the meds I take....
Zyrtec am 10mg
Fibromyalgia meds AM
Thyriod meds AM
Zantac twice daily 300mg
Ketotifen 1mg 4 times a day
Prilosec 20mg

Now, sometimes I take up to 30mg of zyrtec of day, also I take liquid benadryl as needed. I have added singular and allegra before but they didn't seem to help me. It's different for everyone. Some of us have better results with different meds.
I do think a mast cell stabilzer would be a great thing for you. I used to take cromolyn soduim(mast cell stabilzer). It is a compounded prescription  but over time I felt like it was working as well. So I stopped it and went to ketotifen which I really like, it is also a mast cell stabilizer as well as an antihistamine, you need a prescription and in the US it is only available when compounded. There are several pharmacies that will fill it and mail it to you. The one I use is Clark's in Bellevue, Wa. I would print off info on ketotifen and tell your doc some women you know that have the same symptoms use it and have had good results. It's worth a try. I would also ask about maybe some prednisone to quiet your immune system down. I had to take it this summer when I was flaring and finally I got the doc to give me more than a six day supply and I had to take them for 3 weeks and slowly tapper off till my symptoms became better and you know what it worked. By this time it was my fourth or fifth course of prednisone. I'm finding stress is huge for me too. I'll pray for you, hope things get better for you.
Melissa

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #14 - 12/06/11 at 17:01:34

Hi Jane,

Sorry you're in a flare.  These things can come and go.  You're getting great advice here.  If you look back at Nancy's post when you were having problems before, she suggested even higher doses of anti-histamines.

Are you having the nasal drainage again?  It can be so irritating to the stomach, and then it's a vicious cycle.  If you are, there's a nasal spray that you can do a while before eating that might help.  It's called Atrovent, but be sure to get the nasal version and not the oral inhaler.  It's helped me a lot when I've had stomach upset from draining.  It's prescription, BTW.

Joan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print