Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
For those who take Allegra (Read 9018 times)
jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
For those who take Allegra
08/14/11 at 08:05:05

I am thinking of giving Allegra another try.  I am currently on 2 Claritin per day.  

For those of you who take Allegra, do you take it in the morning?  Do you take another H1 blocker in the evening?

IP Logged

jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
Re: For those who take Allegra
Reply #1 - 08/14/11 at 08:06:24

Also, if I make the switch, how would I go about shifting the meds without triggering a reaction (timing them)?

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 08/14/11 at 08:44:22

I take it in the morning and later if I need it for a reaction to something. It does not cause drowsiness. You don't need to transition anything. Just take it in the morning instead of claritin.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/14/11 at 18:09:00

Allegra made the world of difference for me, I take it am and pm . Claritin just did nothing for me. I have to take Teva brand the orig Allegra has something that I react to pregelatinized starch in the name brand, also Dr Readdy's has it. So beware of different inert ingredients to choose from!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #4 - 08/14/11 at 18:17:27

I take the original.....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 08/15/11 at 03:30:15

I'm new to this, but I've been taking Allegra in the morning and at night and it's been working very well for me.

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #6 - 08/15/11 at 08:56:26

Sandi:
The other inactive ingrediant to watch for is cornstarch. Both it & the
pregelantized starch because of the process used to make them are
high in sulfites.
MikeV

IP Logged

jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
Reply #7 - 08/15/11 at 14:24:25

Mikev- Thanks for the info about sulfites!  I didn't know that.

Once I tried the children's strength Allegra pills that you swallow (not chewable) and I had a bad reaction, waking up that night with my heart racing and tremors.  I would like to try the generic Allegra.  

I am wondering whether to try adding extra Zantac or switching from Claritin to Allegra.  I only make one change at a time so if I have a bad reaction I know what to blame.

I'm curious how you all pick out ingredients that bother you from a list on the pill box.  I know if I react badly to an ingredient, but I wouldn't know which to blame.

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #8 - 08/15/11 at 14:51:07

jen:
The problem is it's all trial & error, with the errors causing us some type of symptom. I actually take zyrtec but have switched from the generic to the regular because of the cornstarch in generic. I did the same switching from zyflo back to singulair. I just wish that there was an answer for tramadol as it helps me but if I take more than1 it doesn't could be the filler of cornstarch. These fillers are one way the generics make them cheaper. Another example I kept hearing Heather talk so much about her success with liquid benidryl & she knows a lot. Well I couldn't take the pill version but I now find the liquid version does help me at night. I started watching the inactive ingrediants when after about 6 weeks I started having a bad reaction to ketitofen. The only ingrediant in the pill besides ketitofen was cornstarch. Am now going to try to get my doc to let me try the liquid version to test further. Like I said trial & error. But Lisa was dead on in  a recent post about using knowing the feel of our bodies reaction & how in that case we know more than the docs who treat us. I can sense in my doc a frustration of me always wanting to try new thing. He thinks why can't I just accept me as I am. It's because we all are searching for ways to get as close as we can to the old us before we got this disease.
Good luck in your search. As far as I'm concerned I'm never finished searching.
MikeV

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #9 - 08/15/11 at 15:29:10

heck yes MikeV...we will never stop searching!!!
I will never stop until hes as close to his old self! I told his dxs Im sorry if I email you too much and maybe you dont like me but I will be in your face until you find a cure or a die!

its all trial and error and at times I feel like my husband is a delicate balance of medicines and its knowing which ones, how they work, when to use them. the inactive ingredients and colors in medicines is something I will never understand! theres a blue claratin pill... its for people with allergies???!!!

Patricia

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #10 - 08/15/11 at 16:34:59

My guess is that most people who take Claritin are using it for reasons you see in the commercials... runny nose, watery eyes... they're not so freakishly sensitive to medications, fillers, artificial dyes, etc... as some of us are! Cheesy  I bet most people taking medications don't think twice about the color (except to confirm that it's the right drug).

Incidentally, I'm thinking of hopping on the Allegra bandwagon to see if it makes any difference.  I've been taking Claritin (and Zyrtec), but when I thought back to why... it was only because I could get Claritin without a prescription.  I haven't seen OTC fexofenadine (generic Allergra) though, which means that OTC loratadine (generic Claritin) is a LOT cheaper.  If I don't see any major difference within a few weeks I'll be switching back.

Heather

ps - Mike... that's fantastic that you discovered you can take liquid Benadryl Smiley  I know it doesn't work for everyone (it has an artificial sweetener), but personally it helps me sooooo much.  I never leave home without it.

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 08/16/11 at 12:17:44

I am not well on the claritin, the problem I am finding with this disease is a lack of knowledge by the Dr's I am dealing with and they just don't seem too care. I think I am going to switch to allegra as well, how much do I take right away do I just take the full dose 180mgs twice a day instead of the claritin and I guess I will be upping my zantac by myself since my hematologist told me I am as a high dose as I should be on. And I have too find out how too treat my horrible tremors in my head and popping in my ears ?? I am going to ask about vistiril. I was also told by my Dr since I just can't sleep well that ambien actually has something in it that helps with the mast cells???

IP Logged

jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
Reply #12 - 08/16/11 at 14:57:16

Goldie,
The switching to Allegra from Claritin is what has me concerned too.  I am afraid to jump in at 180 mg.  I usually start off with a low dose on a new med and then if I react it's not so horrible.

I did read the Allegra label and it has either pregelitanized starch or cornstarch (I forget) but Walmart's generic does not.  I wish Walmart sold the children's strength pills you swallow (I don't want the chewables)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #13 - 08/16/11 at 17:29:03

I've been told there are 60 mg., non-time-release Allegra available over the counter.  While the 180s shouldn't be split, the 60s can be cut into as tiny pieces as you need to get started.  I've bought 60 mg. tabs by Rx, but I've heard they're no longer available.  Haven't checked myself, but you might try some pharmacies and see if they have any left.

Joan

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 08/16/11 at 17:58:25

So far I've not found any 60 mg "non allegra" brand. I've been all over the place online and in town, and pharmacies. Allegra seems to have the market  on the 60 mg still and their fillers are worse than Teva brand! You can still check with pharmacies that may still have stock of 60 mg Teva. Again each brand is different. Dr REaddys is just like allegra tons of crud. Oh yeah Mike! Fully aware of corn and sulfites! Everyone you do have to listen to your body, we all react differently to everything. I can't believe I still doubt myself and beat my head into the wall proving that something bothered me again. Also write it down, I can't tell you the times I've thought,,,, hmmmm I think I've been here before with this particular item!  I'm bigtime with Deb, you can just stop claritin and jump on allegra or your version of fexofenadine.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print