Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Got Singulair Today (Read 8312 times)
texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Got Singulair Today
08/02/11 at 16:13:58

Well,went to see allergist the other day and told him about flu like aches the day after getting allergy shots.  He added singulair in and said to keep taking zyrtec and zantac.  I have still had chronic sinus headaches, so he also added in astelin spray to my nasalcrom spray.  So,we shall see how all this helps...did use the astelin spray and boy did hit help pretty quickly as far as the sinus issue goes.  Jury still out on singulair.

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Got Singulair Today
Reply #1 - 08/02/11 at 17:21:54

It took me about a month to notice the difference with Singulair, both when I started at 10mg and when I increased to 30mg.  For me it really helps with FATIGUE Smiley

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/03/11 at 07:04:21

Thanks Heather...
I will be patient...have no choice!  I am hoping I can tolerate it this time because I am on Prilosec and Zantac.  Today I have had virtually NO body pain, which is unusual when it is over 95 degrees out.  Maybe a fluke, but I am hoping  that the Singulair may knock a lot of the body pain out.  If not, I may ask for Ketotifen...my dr. won't give me gastrocrom due to expense.  I am not sure of cost of Ketotifen relative to gastrocrom.  But, we will hope it will be a non-issue because the singulair works (and it is going generic in 2012, yayyy).

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #3 - 08/03/11 at 14:49:19

tex:
hope singulair works for you as regards cost of ketitofin. It ran me taking 1 pill a day $60/month, of course have to get from canada or uk. gastrocrom atleast what my insurance says it saves me runs $1500/month. I really don't think it would cost that much without insurance but more like $600-700, still highway robbery. Azur the company marketing gastrocrom is putting it to us & our insurance companies big time. But am able to take it & had trouble with ketitofin but going to try the liquid version just to make sure.
Mikev

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 08/04/11 at 12:20:57

Hi Tex!

Both Singulair and Ketotifen take about 6 weeks to come to full strength.  You need to be on both, Singulair and some kind of mast cell stabilizer.  Singulair is an excellent med and I'm like Heather it's made a DRAMATIC influence upon how I'm doing.  It has been responsible for reducing my anaphylaxis emensely!  If I go off of Singulair for a few days, all heck breaks loose - diarrhea, anaphylaxis, fainting, etc - the whole shebang!  It's brought to me incredible stability and energy and I feel plain NORMAL on it.  

I'm also on high doses of Ketotifen.  I have NO DOUBTS that it also is what has helped to improve my stability.  I don't react so easily to triggers and when I do trigger, the reaction is not the massive explosion that it used to be!!!

It surprises me that your doctor hasn't put you on an MC stabilizer yet!  This is really a very important medication for us and it's important because singulair and our antihistamines don't reduce the amount of mediators being released, they only deal with what is released.  The MC stabilizers, by forcing the MCs to keep quiet or to be harder to trigger help to prevent so much of the other mediators being released.  We gain more stability merely because it's harder to trigger our MCs.  In theory, we should be able to reduce our other meds by being on higher doses of MC stabilizers.   I don't know if it really works this way, but I would think this is the deal.   Yet, I can say this, I am doing SO MUCH BETTER with the increase in my Ketotifen and the addition of Singulair!!  My doctor was being driven to distraction because she would increase my antihistamines and yet I was still very sick.  My improvement came with these two meds!!

So, I suggest you fight for Ketotifen, it's not as expensive as gastrochrom.  You can order it from a pharmacy in Washington state apparently too.  

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 08/05/11 at 02:06:12

Mmmm, I don't know if he has thought of the ketotifen angle, but just thought the gastrocrom was too expensive.  I might actually have a chance of getting the ketotifen from my urologist.  He was involved in some research several years ago regarding gastrocrom and IC, so he might actually be more open to the idea.  I am going to try the singulair for a month or two and see what happens.  If I need to ask for the other...will try both allergist and urologist.  I think because I don't shock, he may also be hestitant too...but then again, he doesn't live my quality of life, where every time the weather is hot or I drink/eat the wrong thing, my whole body aches and I get funky neurological symptons, muscle spasms, twitches,and dizzyness.  Luckily, my tummy and IC are under reasonable control...its just been the body aches, neuro, and a lingering sinusitus (it seems that the singulair is helping with that).  Sooooo, will check into it but may come up empty handed....

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #6 - 08/07/11 at 02:30:44

Hey Heather and Lisa how much ketotifen do you guys take and what time?

We are switching the timing of my husbands meds a little bit and Im wondering if he should take the ketotifen before bed time. He takes it at 430pm 4mg of Ketotifen, 300mg of Zantac and by 8pm hes passed out really tired and cant wake him up from the couch to go to bed.
We used to take it at 630pm  so by 9-930pm he would go to bed...he never thought it made him exceptionally tired and sometimes takes an extra 1mg during the day if hes having a flare up or really bad stomach issues.
Bendaryl and most sedating anti hist dont make him tired.

Im thinking of replacing the ketotifen at 430pm with either Zyrtec or Allegra? and then take the ketotifen at bedtime.

He  takes 10mg of Singular in the morning and without it he becomes very symptomatic and we have found it VERY helpful!

Tex I hope the singulair is helping you!

Patricia

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #7 - 08/07/11 at 04:36:17

I've never taken ketotifen... sorry.  I use cromolyn sodium as my mast cell stabilizer.  Since your husband is having such a good response to Singulair, you might see if you can get that dose increased or take another leukotriene inhibitor (Zyflo, Accolate) to go with it.  I take 30mg of Singulair per day... 10mg in the morning and 20mg at night.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 08/22/11 at 07:00:21

I am taking 10 mg singulair added to Zyrtec and Zantac 2x day.  Adding the singulair has really helped....has caused a bit of GERD, but body pain is wayyyyy down.  Thanks for recommending to try it one more time.  It took a week or two for me to tell a difference but we are still hanging above 90 degrees here with high humidity and my bodypain is not going crazy, nor the feeling of dizzyness and like I could seize.  I still like the idea of trying ketotifen in the mix, but lets see if this keeps helping knock wood may not need it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print