Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need help tweaking meds please (Read 6364 times)
kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Re: Need help tweaking meds please
Reply #15 - 08/18/11 at 12:27:00

Patricia, I have the stomach bloating and loud sounds from within. I've claimed I had a monster in there because the growls get scary sounding at times. Usually worse when I lay down. I usually guess it's from what I've ingested. I've skipped some meals because I don't know yet what I can and cannot eat and I don't want to be miserable. Not the best approach, I know. I need to be more diligent about figuring out food triggers.  Have the two of you worked on discovering food triggers?

Kim

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #16 - 08/18/11 at 13:02:09

Haha I've also described it like sigourney weavers Alien!
He eats a really limited diet, I feel like it's his actual digestion
and sometimes if he's had a stressful day or gets upset about something then his stomach is usually the first thing to start grumbling and will give him problems.
If it's really bad we skip meals too because why aggravate the monster.
Thanks again

Patricia

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #17 - 08/22/11 at 07:13:41

I totally agree about the decongestant--its a no-no for us and will make us sick by multiplying our secretions in the lung then our antihistamines dry them up and we play hell trying to cough it up. Usually any med that says "D" at the end has this and should be avoided.

Now that 24 hour Allegra? I think the company is just calling it that because its enough med for people who dont have our disease to take--but we all know that mast cell people need wayyyyy more antihistamines than other people do. It also seems that the 24 hour isnt time release--Dr Castells told a patient they could break it in half so it must not have an enteric coating and is fine for us to take the 180 mg when we need it (I take it twice a day and may add a 60 mg during mid day soon).

Patricia, try one thing for me ok?? First try a 3rd dose Zantac in the middle of the day when his tummy is making noises...see if that works. If it doesnt, try a Prilosec (20 mg or 40 mg) and see if that helps. Sometimes I have to take a 3rd Zantac 300 mg if I am reacting and it helps me. Let me know how your hubby is, Im curious.
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #18 - 08/22/11 at 07:14:42

As always ASK YOUR DR about anything suggested and tell your DR if you try something new and how it worked.  

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print