Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions about Meds/Symptoms (Read 4278 times)
Florida Girl wCM
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Questions about Meds/Symptoms
08/21/11 at 13:16:11

I was diagnosed in 2008 with CM and thankfully had a negative BMB. However, my symptoms have increased a little over the last 6 months or so. I don't seem to have as severe reactions as some of you (I am thankful for this and my heart goes out to all of you that are worse), but I'm worried that things are just going to keep getting worse. Just had a upper endo and colonoscopy on Friday and I'm waiting for the results. There is a suspicion that mast cells will be found in my digestive tract. At any rate, I have just a couple of questions about some weird things going on:

1. I currently take Singulair 10mg in the AM, Allegra 180 (OTC) in the PM and Zantac 150 when needed. I've noticed over the last 2-3 weeks that when I take the Allegra at night, I wake up almost choking in the morning because I have so much mucus in my throat. This just started happening. When I don't take the Allegra, it doesn't seem to be as bad, but then my eyes run and itch really bad without the Allegra. Any thoughts about this?

2. I see a cardiologist next week (BTW I am 34 years old) because I've been having a lot more "heart flops" throughout the week.  It only happens once or twice a day and probably 4 times a week. Not sure why though or what's causing them. I've been monitoring my blood pressure and in the afternoons after eating it tends to get a little low. This week it's been back up to normal though. I saw my PCP on Wed and my EKG came back abnormal with minor ST-T changes in the septal lead for the sinus rhythm?? Not sure what this is going to mean.

3. I've been getting dizzy/lightheaded now for about a month and a 1/2. Some days are worse than others and it's not really tied to my BP going low.  It's happening even when my BP is normal. It happens more in the afternoon/evening, but it happens in the AM sometimes as well. Is is the histamine causing this or have you experienced this with the Singulair or Allegra? I stopped the Singulair and Allegra for 4 days and still got dizzy.

4. I stopped my meds for 4 days because my allergist wanted me to slowly start back on one med at a time and see what's causing the extra mucus. I couldn't stay off very long because by the 4th day I was feeling bad. Also, after being off of the meds for just 3 days, I started confusing words and saying slightly backwards. This happened to me earlier this year (I thought it was just due to lack of sleep) but seemed to go away when I started all of my meds. Have you ever experienced this? What causes it?

Thanks for your help!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Questions about Meds/Symptoms
Reply #1 - 08/21/11 at 18:22:05

Hi Florida Girl!
ok That one is an easy one--you switch the Allegra to AM.. the way youre taking it now, your salavia dries up while youre sleeoing and it makes you feel like youre choking when you wake up because it is thick (dry) and harder to cough up.. just take it in the am and it will be better.;.

You will also find that taking the Allegra in the AM will help that tacycardia (heart fluttering fast) feeling.

The minor ST wave changes happen with Allergic Angina.. you can read more about it online--just know it is treatable with antihistamines, IF needed. (You probably wont need it).

The dizziness is called syncope and many of us have that--and for now we have no answers for it, sorry.. Just get up from a laying position slowly, to walk.

Oh and dont stop taking your meds for any reasons--it wont help test results and can put yoiu in danger to be off your meds.. Hope this helps!!
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Florida Girl wCM
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/21/11 at 18:58:55

Ramona, thank you for your response. All this is so confusing for me! I've been tracking my blood pressure for about a week and my heart rate stays in the 80s mostly and my actual blood pressure is always in a really good range, although sometimes a little low for normal for me. I'm saying this because it seems weird that my heart flopping would be from tachycardia when it doesn't seem like my heart is beating too fast at all?? I just don't understand it.

I will certainly try the allegra in the AM. Should I take it with my Singulair or should I try the Singulair in the PM? The Singulair seems to help with my fatigue which is why I've enjoyed taking it in the AM. What do you think?

Oh, and my dizziness/lightheadedness actually happens while I'm sitting down. It happens while I'm at my desk at work, while I'm sitting on the couch, while I'm riding in the car etc. It happens when I lay down from a sitting position but it doesn't really happen when I stand up. Isn't that STRANGE?? Does anywhere have it happen when they're just sitting still?

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 08/21/11 at 19:40:39

The fluttering feeling  (but not fast heart beat) is called PVCs and yes a lot of us have that and the Allegra will help that too... Take your Singulair in the AM , yes it gives you energy and you can take Zyrtec or Claritin at night. You also need Zantac 300 mg twice a day. Now make sure to talk to your DR about this Smiley The syncope (even sitting while it happens) is something we are just dealing with for now and hopefully soon, they will have some answers and a med for us.
hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

Florida Girl wCM
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 08/22/11 at 00:23:20

Thank you for such great info and I will definitely talk to my dr.  I have one last question, I promise  Smiley

What about the mixing words up thing.  I thought it was just a fluke earlier this year until I just stopped my meds and it started happening again.  My words don't come out right. I'll say them backwards or I'll use the wrong letter in a word. Does that happen to anyone? What makes it happen? My husband was a little concerned.

Thank you so much for your feedback!!

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #5 - 08/22/11 at 02:46:34

Oh, oh, oh! (hand raised here, pick me, pick me!) lol
I'm totally the queen of garbled speech and mixed up words! My family gets the biggest tickle out of some of the newly created words that come out of my mouth (me too sometimes although most times I'm just frustrated with it) great example was during vacation in Hawaii we were on a charter boat that promised you would see whales and dolphins. As we moved out farther in the water to find these wonderful creatures we were out on the deck with many other people all watching the wTers in anticipation of this wonder and I say, "I can't wait to see the WALFINS!" LOL my family knew exactly what I meant to say since they are used to my brain glitch's BUT you should have seen the looks I got!
I don't have an answer or remedy for this and I know I'm not properly medicated YET (just now getting a diagnosis and will see Dr Afrin in Oct) so for the time being I try not to let it frustrate me too much and make light of it with humor. I can't tell you how many times my husband says he should have started a book of 'kim'isms' a long time ago.
So, yes, I can relate with mixed up speech and lack of words. I just hope once I get on the proper meds it will improve.
Good luck.
Kim

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 08/22/11 at 05:29:06

I sometimes feel as if I garble words also, but I can't determine if that is due to mast cells or not....Sometimes when someone asks me a question, it seems like more of an effort to have to speak and give an answer. I will be thinking the answer, but feel like I have to expend so much energy to make my mouth day them. That, I know, is caused by my mast cells!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 08/22/11 at 06:58:19

Its called Brain Fog and most of us have that too.. Mast cells are in the brain (like most of the body) and they are responsible for helping communication--which is electrical. When our mast cells are reacting, the ones in our brain tend to short circuit and we have problems thinking.  NIH has tested some meds for it and the one that seems to test/help the best is Vistaril . I take 25 mg (low dose) twice a day and it helps me emmensely!! Hope this helps!
hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

Florida Girl wCM
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 08/22/11 at 16:16:14

Kim, I loved your response, that was funny and it's exactly what happens to me.  I think I will need to have my meds increased as well but it definitely goes away when I'm on my meds.

To all of you ladies, thank you so much for sharing. It makes me feel less crazy and helps me understand what's happening to my body. At this point I only have CM and it's not systemic, but I definitely have some of the systemic symptoms. I guess I will have to break down and try the low histamine diet so that I feel better  Sad

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #9 - 08/23/11 at 02:17:41

I'm so grateful that you posted that question on speech. I'm struggling getting my husband to believe half the stuff I am going through. He's still in the phase of trying to think that my symptoms are from any other source or reason besides some disorder/disease. So in you posting that question I have PROOF others experience this as well AND now since these wonderfully educated women on this topic gave an explanation I now have learned even more about it.
This forum IS the best.
Thanks everyone Wink

IP Logged

Florida Girl wCM
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 08/23/11 at 08:05:29

Glad I could be of some help!! My husband is the same way and until this last episode of crazy speech (I went off of my meds for a few days) he thought it was all in my head. He doesn't fully understand the symptoms that are involved with masto so I get very little empathy or sympathy from him. I'm hoping he will get more involved with my physician visits so he can understand what happens with this crazy condition.

Keep your chin up and just know that you're definitely not alone. This site really is great!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print