Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anaphylaxis question (Read 2147 times)
kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Anaphylaxis question
07/09/11 at 08:07:57

Hi all. I hope today is a good day for you all. It's been a rough week for me. I just returned to Alabama from 2 weeks in Michigan. Michigan was having a very mild tempurature front and I TOTALLY enjoyed it. I was able to be outside and felt fine. I've learned since returning to Alabama that now I'm in this high heat and humidity that I DO NOT react well to this. I had my first near passing out episode just before going to Michigan. I was working out in the garden. Now since returning to AL I'm having more of these near passing out episodes. My lips and hands will get all tingly, my ears ring, I become mentally disconnected to a degree, sick to my stomach and dizzy. So I head for the benedryl which I learned to do on here. I sit quietly until I feel better. The problem is I'm experiencing this more and more. I'm going outside less and less. Surely one can't just live inside ALL the time, but I'm afraid to go out in this heat. I'm taking 300mg daily Zantek and 20 mg daily Zyrtek. Plus my other meds for Tachycardia and potty issues and estrogen since I had my ovaries removed. (I did read somewhere that hormones were to be avoided but I don't know what to do about that and hope to talk to Dr Afrin in South Carolina about it).

So here's my question: I know I'm no where's near properly medicated for a Mast Cell disease (although I have not SEEN Dr. AFrin yet he does feel that is what I have going on) but I take what I can purchase over the counter. I'm having more and more near passing out experiences and getting scared about the possibility of actually doing so and no one knowing what is going on with me or how to help me. What is YOUR personal experience with this and what is the worse case/best case senario if this happens? What happens if I'm alone and I pass out? Will I eventually just wake up and feel like crap? I really am getting concerned about this.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Hugs!
Kim

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Anaphylaxis question
Reply #1 - 07/09/11 at 09:40:27

Hi Kim,
Lets avoid the what happens when you pass out to, NOT passing out at all. You have to stay in cool AC for now--not forever... fall will be here soon, remember that. You need to take that Zantac twice a day (300 mg). You need some Vistaril for those potty issues (IC right?). I take Vistaril 25 mg twice a day for brain fog and bladder spasms.  Youre definitely under medicated or you would not be trying to react so often. Have you tried Allegra?? I take is twice a day and I love it. I also take Singulair once a day. Once you are well medicated, the tachycardia will get better. Hope this helps;
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 07/09/11 at 10:01:50

I used to live in that type of climate, and it's very difficult to keep things under control.  However, several things helped a lot.  Staying hydrated is the biggest one.  I never feel thirsty, but I would pour a 1/2 gallon bottle of water in the a.m., put it in the fridge, and try to drink a glass (6-8 oz.) every hour.  It really helped with those symptoms.

If I were you, I'd call Dr. Afrin's office or email him right away, tell him what's happening, and that you'd like to increase your meds.  He should give you a regimen.  As Ramona says, you might want to switch to Allegra, which might be more helpful than Zyrtec/Xyzal.  180 mg., twice/day, is a typical dose.  You can also add a dose of other H1 and H2 blockers in the middle of the day.  I can't tell you to start adding some of these things now, but that's what I would do.  If you start to feel faint, 911 is the way to go.  If you can take your blood pressure during one of these episodes, you might have more information for figuring out what's happening.

The big box stores that have a sporting goods department might have those special scarves and vests that you can wet and chill or put ice packs in.  I've seen people write about them on the old forum.  Cool showers are good, too, as well as eating smaller, lighter meals.  If you can increase your salt intake a little, that might help, too.

Let us know how you're doing.

Joan

IP Logged

Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/03/11 at 12:39:32

I have had MANY near passing out episodes and I will tell you heat has been a large factor in many of those episodes.  I would avoid the heat.  Every time I underestimate being outside, I am usually sick for hours afterwards.  I live in Florida so not an easy thing to do.  Looking forward to the fall!  And lay flat if you feel like you're going to faint.  And of course the benadryl.

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 08/03/11 at 13:56:08

First off, take the feeling of "passing out" seriously!  I thought I could tough it out once and walk from my bathroom to the bedroom.  Not to scare you, but next thing I knew, I woke up on the bathroom floor and had split my head open.

When you feel that way, sit down immediatly and elevate your legs over the level of your heart, so the blood goes to your brain.  If you do have masto, you are vasodialating (blood vessels get wider), the blood flows out of your head, your heart rate will increase to try to pump the blood back up there (tachycardia), and then your blood pressure drops and you start to black out.  It is so easy to lose your coordination when you do this and fall and hurt yourself or worse.

Lay down immediatly and take your Benedryl.  I agree, if this is becoming a problem, call the doctor as you probably need an epipen too.  Make sure you call 911 before it gets really bad.  They will be cool about it.  Tell them that you think you are about to go into shock and pass out and they will be right over.

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #5 - 08/06/11 at 12:22:53

Great advice all. Very informative jbean!! Thanks again all!

Kim

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print