Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Elevated IL 13 (Read 2921 times)
Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Elevated IL 13
08/05/11 at 02:00:46

Hey had a meeting with Dr Wilson on Tuesday and he informed us that my husband, his sister and father all have elevated IL 13 which is probably the root cause of all my husbands inflammation.

Does anyone know anything about IL 13? Trying to google it and research is really confusing and I'm not quite sure I fully understand what he's talking about.

He gave us a couple options none of which I like:
1.Take steroids as he gets flare up
2.Low dose prednisone 5mg every other day
3. Enbrel injections to lower the TNF that causes inflammation
(saw commercial on tv and rolled over laughing because the side effects are so bad death is one of them)
4. Wellbutrin antidepressant

The wellbutrin has some TNF blocking abilities and if he doesn't get the crazy side effects from it the antidepressant positive effects would be welcome. My husband does experience mood swings, anxiety ect...he gets depressed when he's starting to react and I can tell something is going on with him when he gets hopeless. He's usually a happy positive person but when he gets down and depressed I know he needs more antihist, is about to react or has an infection that's brewing that will start making him react. We are going to try this first.

Any insight on the IL 13 levels would be appreciated...
Thank you!!!

Patricia

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Elevated IL 13
Reply #1 - 08/05/11 at 03:05:48

Hi Patricia,

IL-13 is one type of "interleukin."  Interleukins are produced by many different types of cells (including mast cells).  They use them to "talk" to one another and coordinate their activities.  Although I don't know much specifically about IL-13, there are definitely disorders where people have far too much of a particular interleukin in their system... TNF (in rheumatoid arthritis), IL-6 (in Castleman's disease), etc...

Out of the options this doctor gave your husband, I think #2 and #4 are the best.  5mg of prednisone every other day is a very low dose!  High doses can cause all kinds of nasty side effects (diabetes, weight gain, cataracts, etc...), but a low dose is no big deal.  Wellbutrin could also be a good solution... it's typically one of the few antidepressants that mast cell patients are able to tolerate.

It will be interesting to see if these medications give your husband any relief from his symptoms.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #2 - 08/05/11 at 03:22:37

Thank you for your insight!

We are going to try the Wellbutrin first, he has bone thinning and Im just afraid the steroids will make it worse. He also cant fight an infection and it takes him 3 times as long to get rid of one so anything immune suppressive  Im very cautious of. Although if his immune system is over active and attacking his body so thats not good either.

His father has mild RA, attacks of gout and Hashimotots. His sister has Hashimotos, Raynauds, fatty liver disease and joynt and tendon pain as well.  

I also read that the herb Tumeric is a natural TNF blocker but hed probably need large doses and react it. Im assuming you cook with it?

Patricia

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 08/05/11 at 05:58:05

You can cook with turmeric, but it's also available as a supplement.  If I remember correctly, as a supplement, the recommended dose is 1g/day.  Personally, I'm very sensitive to blood thinners... I gave turmeric a try, but I had to stop taking it after two days because it was giving me nosebleeds and uncontrollable dizziness.  Other people like Melissa and Nancy have had success with it though... it might be worth a try.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #4 - 08/05/11 at 09:01:38

Thank you! I found the supplement by solar ray and we'll see how that works and hopefully maybe itll help a little.

Patricia

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 08/05/11 at 11:38:56

I agree about trying Wellbutrin first vs. longterm prednisone.  Pred has a lot of side effects when used longterm.

However, one option he could try is a burst of prednisone over a shorter period of time (10 days or 2 weeks), to help cool things down and to give himself a breather from some of the symptoms.  It also helps with mood and feelings of general well-being, energy level, etc.  

When I've flared a lot over a period of weeks, I've done a 7-10 day pred. regimen that has gotten my baseline inflammation reduced and pain level down to a tolerable level.  I've done a reducing daily dose as high as 40-40-30-30-20-20-10-10-5-5.  I believe these "bursts" can be given several times a year without affecting bones, so if they give him relief for a few weeks every few months, that might be really helpful.  He could also start at 20 mg. for a week and then taper down.  (Never cold turkey off prednisone!  Very dangerous!)  The doc will have some suggestions.  I don't know if 5 mg. a day to start will have much impact.  It's okay for me, but my symptoms are usually pretty stable.

Nancy says to put the turmeric in lemon juice for a few minutes before taking it.  That's a better way to do it if he can tolerate lemon juice.  Best to take it with a meal and a glass of water.

Joan

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #6 - 08/05/11 at 11:59:24

Hey thanks so much!

He just finished a 9 day course of prednisone (30/20/10) and wow for the first time in so long he was in no pain, felt like a rubber band and didn't wake up stiff like the tine man! But he suffers every side effect possible and gained 10lbs in 4 days, starving, dry mouth, thrist, insomnia and some aggression. So amazing results as far as pain but some crazy side effects.

He's been off them a week and realtively speakig he's having a pretty good streak. He lost all the weight he gained and is sleeping better. It's  also been 85 degrees and much less humid so I think having normal weather really helps.

The lemon juice would burn a hole in his tummy! But thanks for tip and appreciate all your insight and suggestions!!!

Patricia

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print