Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help needed!!! (Read 3965 times)
Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Help needed!!!
08/05/11 at 01:53:05

Looking for volunteers with multiple family members affected by a Mast Cell Disorder for a study at NIH that is being conducted by Dr Wilson.
In particular he is looking for families with more than one affected family member with similar symptoms, which include:

A family with elevated tryptase levels, neg bone bone marrow and allergic symptoms, including anaphylaxis

This is our family's blood markers and currently Human Genome is sequencing my husbands entire DNA but in order for that to be relevant they need to compare it another families DNA that is similar to ours to identify any possible new variants or mutations.

They currently do not have anyone's to compare it to. If anyone knows of anyone who has multiple family members or would be interested in participating in a clinical trial at NIH please let me know. You can email me privately and I can out you in touch with Dr Wilson.

I did contact Dr Castells and she is going to ask Dr Aiken and might have one or two people with elevated tryptase w/ neg BMB. I have also contacted Valerie Slee at The Masto Society to ask anyone she knows if they fit this criteria.

I just can't believe it's that unusual to have elevated tryptase and a neg BMB...both my husbands and sisters came back neg, KIT gene Neg, D816V gene neg, Stat 3 gene neg...my father in laws tryptase is 55 and he has not had a BMB. The first thing I asked Dr Wilson when we checked into NIH was is mastocytosis genetic? He said no it's something you get and you can't pass it down...maybe systemic mastocytosis isn't genetic but what ever form of this disease that my family has is definitely genetic.

This is a grass roots effort to help me find another family that is similar to ours...Or even a family with systemic masto...please help us and possibly help researchers further understand this confusing, misdiagnosed, unpredictable and cruel disease!

Patricia

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Help needed!!!
Reply #1 - 08/05/11 at 17:40:12

Sorry, can't help! I seem to be the only mast cell person in my family...and I don't have elevated tryptase...

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #2 - 08/06/11 at 01:57:27

Thanks anyway! I just can't believe it's  that unusual but I am constantly surprised during this journey!

Do you think that means that most people with elevated tryptase (over 20) usually have a pos BMB or KIT gene mutation?

Patricia

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 08/06/11 at 06:04:10

Its not unusual, Ive seen many people taking about it. The heard part is getting people who are not symptomatic to face their abnormal test results--people are like ostriches if they can be. My family would probably fit this but they refuse to believe Im ill, much less that they might face future problems.  Keep on looking Patricia, I know you will find some families.
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #4 - 08/06/11 at 07:30:29

Thanks Ramona! We dont want to be that unusual!!
I definitely want to know and I have to figure out how to prevent this from happening to my girls! This is such a horrible and cruel disease...I wouldnt wish it upon anyone and if theres anyway to understand it better or prevent it from becoming activated I have to know.

This has taken away everything my husband loves...food, wine, being social, living spontaneously not to mention the amount of suffering, loosing days of his life and being scared to death because no ones ever even heard of mast cells...

To top off the mast cell stuff I feel like every other month hes diagnosed with some ever stranger auto immune disorder!

Ramona what is your tryptase level? I know you said you had elevated IgE's as well?

Patricia

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 08/06/11 at 18:32:37

I know how you feel.. I have at least 2 other syndromes that I knew nothing about a few months ago. These things seem to come in with other illnesses??

The tryptase levels that I know about are 10, 18, 43 and there are at least 4 more that I dont have results of... they love to give me a hard time getting results and I live in the boonies its a bit far to drive to where the hospitals are and do it in person... yes my IgE level is 1330,.. I also have a very LOW IgM and IgG3. Not quite sure yet of all those implications...
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #6 - 08/07/11 at 01:25:43

Hey ok that sounds pretty similar!!! Smiley)

Patricia

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #7 - 08/07/11 at 06:03:22

Hi Patricia!

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I'm really swamped with work right now.  

My family is one yes, but I can't fulfill Dr. Wilson's requirements.  My tryptase is 4.6, one of my son's is 2.6 and the other 5.5.  They are only now being investigated for masto and no BMB have been mentioned.  My BMB is negative so far but I do have pathological damage.

However, the cardiovascular researchers at Harvard are convince that the reason why my entire family has ascending aortic aneurysms is due to ALL of us having this genetic defect and that only some of us have developed the symptoms of masto and I'm the one full blown case.  My son who has the 2.6 tryptase we found that he has MC aggregates in his intestines.  All three of us are confirmed autoimmune.  These geneticists have asked for other masto patients with aortic aneurysms to study because they feel there is a link here.  

Patricia, I have told these scientist as to your request by Dr. Wilson.  They may decide to speak with him for I believe they are all of the same mind - finding that genome!!   If my doctors were to ask me to participate in Dr. Wilson's study and we could find the financial means for us to get up to DC from Brazil, I'd be glad to participate.  But without their involvement in this and with the criteria that Dr. Wilson has of elevated tryptase we don't qualify.  

Please go ahead and tell Dr. Wilson this.  If this is so, and the Harvard doctors agree and work with Dr. Wilson, then this would not be only my 3 children and myself, but it would possibly include each of my 5 siblings and 4 cousins and their families, for as I said, each of my 5 siblings and 4 cousins have these aortic aneurysms and my father and his only sister both died from theirs.  Our children are now under suspicion too.  they believe masto is the common denominator - not the cause for the aortic aneurysm defect, they already have found the genome for that, but they feel that the masto is what made us all develop the aneurysms - that cause the exceptional activity here.  

So, depending upon their conversations, Dr. Wilson may have an entire family of about 20 odd people perhaps to work with.

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #8 - 08/07/11 at 08:27:18

Thank you so much Lisa!!!
Which doctors are you working  with at Harvard? Im sure they know or work with each other, its a small group of doctors and I think they all try to review each other work ect... Please tell your dx at Harvard to contact Dr Wilson and I will speak to him as well. My husbands name is Fabio Beggiato, we have no privacy concerns.

the distance thing could be an issue but if your dx here and you are willing to share information that might be a good place to start. For my husbands family in Italy they just sent a kit and they went to a doctor there who sent all their blood and DNA samples fedex to NIH.

Do you know if your KIT gene is mutated? Do your family members also have allergies ect? When did your symptoms become full blown? Was there an event that happened?

My husbands started a year ago from a toxic reaction to scallops and since that ER visit he hasnt been the same. There where signs....sweating, dizziness, heartburn, rashes, loose stools, unexplained anaphylactic episodes but we always thought it was food poisoning. We just never connected the dots until complete breakdown.

Patricia

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #9 - 08/07/11 at 12:25:38

Hi Patricia,

Please don't mind if I can't reply to this right now.  I'll try tomorrow.  I'm reacting to a type of contrast nobody reacts to and I've got my hands full.  Okay?

Thanks!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #10 - 08/07/11 at 12:29:24

wow im so sorry!!! No worries...please take your time and praying that you get relief quickly!!!

Patricia

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print