Joint Swelling (Read 5281 times)
nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Master of None :)
Melissa, TX
Joint Swelling
06/27/11 at 02:57:44

It seems like I post more when my reactions are up; but I'm just so curious about all of the ins and outs that we deal with and as many know; like so many others I am still learning so much about Mast Cells and their effects on our bodies Sad

I responded to a post earlier and gave insight into a situation I dealt with yesterday; so I guess this is part two Wink

So yesterday other than a little flushing and the normal DAILY symptoms I deal with as I am still under medicated and have not found that magic regiment yet I ended up with this pressure in my throat located at the bottom of the neck / top of the chest; the result of this pressure was throwing up a couple of times (the pressure actually did not let up until a little earlier this morning; approximately 7-8 hours after it initially started)...  The only other symptom I had yesterday was swelling around my wrists; which is something that I dealt with last year around this time.

Unfortunately for me with these symptoms; extra antihistamines do not seem to offer much relief (quickly anyway; maybe in working it just takes a long time for them to kick in and offer relief).  But with my wrist swelling; there were several hours where it was obvious they were swollen; but even this morning as they have started going back to their normal sizes; you can still touch the skin and see white spots from the light pressure.

So I'm curious with both symptoms (pressure in the throat) and (joint swelling); does anyone else experience either or both of these symptoms and if so, what do you do to relieve them?

I wish everyone all the best and hope that the morning has met everyone well...

~Lucas

Doctor's are glorified auto mechanics of the human body; make sure you find one that you trust...

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Joint Swelling
Reply #1 - 06/27/11 at 04:30:43

Yes to both and the cause is the same--reacting and under medicated and the treatment is the same.. you have to increase one or more of your antihistamines.

I find I do better with the old fashoined kind--Chlortrimeton, Vistaril, Benadryl, but you can use whatever antihistamines you have , especially the ones you feel help you the best. You have to increase your meds. It doesnt help you when your meds have you on a thin line of trying to react often.  Stay in cool AC today, maybe stay out of your pool (chlorine). Eat lightly and rest often. Hope you feel better Smiley
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Master of None :)
Melissa, TX
Reply #2 - 06/27/11 at 04:40:43

Thank you for the response Ramona; I guess I'm going to have to start trying other things.  There are days where I take as many as 6 Zyrtec and 900-1200mg of Zantac...  I just can't seem to stop reacting...  I try to only take my Xyxal at night and I'm taking Singulair twice a day.

The doctor finally did call me back last week with the go ahead for Gastrocrom; but I have to wait until some $$$ from invoices hits the old bank this week before I can go buy it (Whoo it's pricey; but at least now he can say he has "Prescribed It"); I'm hoping that will help with the reactions once it builds up (I understand it can take several weeks to start noticing the effect)...

In the interim I have added back in a daily dose of Benadryl (with a warm beverage) -- "Here's to hoping"

I hope you are doing well today...

~Lucas

Doctor's are glorified auto mechanics of the human body; make sure you find one that you trust...

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 06/28/11 at 09:20:38

Hi Lucas,

Sorry to hear what is going on! I have trouble with both symptoms, as well. For me, the Zantac makes the most difference in the throat issues, and Zyrtec or Benedryl helps the swelling, though not as much as the Zantac helps the throat.

However, thyroid issues can cause both symptoms as well. The throat issues were one of the early symptoms I had of Hashimoto's thyroid. I am currently undermedicated with my thyroid, and I am wondering how much of my throat issues might be from that right now. In fact, I see my doc this afternoon. Low thyroid will also cause problems with pain and tissue swelling.

Unfortunately, thyroid issues are not always treated sufficiently, as many doctor s do not understand the complexity of how hormones work. If your doctor only goes by TSH to know whether or not to treat you, you are almost certainly improperly treated.

You can find out a lot about thyroid problems at http://thyroid.about.com/

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Gina E.
Rookie

Reply #4 - 07/13/11 at 10:38:27

Hi Lucas,

I hope you're feeling at least a little bit better. Thank you for starting this topic.  

Do you have acid reflux at all?  That is often what causes my throat and upper chest swelling/tightness . . . I also have a small hiatal hernia from the reflux.  When these are really bad, I have trouble swallowing and keeping acid and food down.  You might have that checked out, too.

I've been having the same problems with joint swelling, too. My wrists and hands have been the worst.  Have you had your ANA or RF checked?  Mine just came back normal again, so the doctor's think that the swelling is either from enteropathic arthritis and/or just mast cells flaring up.  

Enteropathic arthritis is a seronegative arthritis that occurs in up to 20 percent of people with inflammatory bowel disease. Sometimes, it can occur well before the IBD shows up.  

BTW, I officially have 'mastocytic enterocolitis' - but my growing group of doctors is now questioning if I have MCAD or SM.  

If anyone else has ideas on what to do with joint pain and swelling . . . please share with us.

Gina

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 07/13/11 at 11:03:44

Gina, youre doing as much as you can for the moment.. and Im so sorry to hear that youre still suffering. I might make one suggestion?? Lisa recently talked me into tring Allegra... and I tried it at 180 mg twice a day. It made a HUGE difference in how I feel. Now Im trying to recoperate from anothet bad UTI but if it wasnt for that, I would feel quite good...I have to take pain meds for the joints and severe bone pain but Im getting better at balancing all of it.. I hope you find what helps you the most soon and feel better Smiley
Many Higs
Ramona

IP Logged

Gina E.
Rookie

Reply #6 - 07/13/11 at 12:38:36

Ramona -  I hope you feel better soon! UTI's are the worst ... I presume you have IC, too?  I've been trying unsweetened almond milk recently - it helps a little. Well, if you're not allergic to tree nuts.  I think it balances out the acid a little?

I'm just relieve to know I'm not nuts on the joint swelling. I find stuff about mast cells and joint pain online, but no one ever mentions the subsequent swelling.  Luckily, it was bad the last time I was in to visit the doctor and he saw it first-hand.  

I do love Allegra - I take it just once a day in the morning, 180mg. Haven't tried two/day because when I first started taking it I didn't sleep for three days.  Singulair has been great, too.

Do you or anyone have ideas on natural ways to reduce the swelling/inflammation?  The last time I was dumb enough to take an NSAID, my digestive system had a major revolt and my bowels tried to swell shut.   Undecided

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 07/13/11 at 13:14:10

Yes I have IC and you are not nuts for the joint swelling.. this is a disease of inflammation and it can be pretty darn painful ...

If you do try Allegra twice a day, make the 2nd dose around suppertime and you wont have such bad insomnia.. it took me awhile to figure that one out!

Sometimes I use castor oil (externally only) as a gentle rub where I hurt but I cant say it helps anymore than my pain pills do--sorry... I hope you feel better and let me know if you learn any tricks for the swelling and pain  Smiley
hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 07/13/11 at 15:23:17

Gina,

Have you looked into Quercetin?  It has anti-inflammatory properties.  It should be taken with water and food, though, so it doesn't upset the stomach.  I can vouch for that personally.  Also, you might want to go back through your diet and see if any foods are exacerbating the swelling.

Also, I agree with Ramona about trying more meds.  Most of my swelling and pain has left since I've been on the right dosage of antihistamines, although of course that might not work for everyone.  I take allegra in the a.m. and Zyrtec in the P.M., as Allegra is less sedating for me.  Sure wish it pumped up the energy, though.

Joan

IP Logged

Gina E.
Rookie

Reply #9 - 07/14/11 at 10:09:38

Hi Joan -

I did try some NOW brand quercitin that also contained bromelain.  That was a few months ago when my acid reflux was out of control and what felt like another ulcer was popping up (have had those since I was eight).  So needless to say, I did have tummy troubles like you.  I've been thinking of trying again - maybe with lunch?  Could you take a zantac with it? I'm supposed to take my iron supplement at lunch time (along with Vit. C), too - but that hasn't been going over so well either.  

I've seen that one Dr. Theorides offers quercitin, too. It would cost more, but might be better?  

Thanks so much,
Gina

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 07/14/11 at 14:52:18

Hi Lucas,

I have another ideas for you on the throat issues. I just came back from having an endoscopy to look into my throat closing, chest pain, and a few other issues. My GI doctor thinks I have something called eosinophilic esophagatis. I have some pretty strong signs in the endoscopy, including a classic ring like structure in my esophagus.

It is apparently an allergy caused problem, sounds to me like it could fit very easily into mast cell caused symptoms. I found a place that has a pretty good explanation of it. http://apfed.org/drupal/drupal/what_is_eoe They treat it with surface applied steroids and diet, if they can find what the allergy it about. Apparently my H1 and H2 blockers are also helping.

Can't say that I know a lot about it yet. I have to wait for the biopsy to come back to be sure. I'm supposed to get mast cell testing on the biopsies, too.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print