Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How long should it take Gastrocrom to work? (Read 9886 times)
still seeking
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

How long should it take Gastrocrom to work?
07/07/11 at 13:50:47

[size=14][/size]

How long should it take for Gastrocrom to work?  My 11 yr old daughter started on Gastrocrom, July 5th (6:30PM).  She is taking 4 ampules a day (100 mg/5mL) each.  In addition, she is taking 10 mg of Zyrtec twice a day, 100 mgs of Zantac 3 times a day, and Entocort for gut issues with elevated eosinophils 3 mgs 3 times a day.  She is not itching but is still having intermittent nausea, joint/bone pain, periods of no energy, some abdominal pain, feeling achy, ect....  

Angie (Rylee's mom)

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Re: How long should it take Gastrocrom to work?
Reply #1 - 07/07/11 at 14:29:36

I'm so sorry for your daughter! I believe it takes about 2 weeks before it starts to work so possibly around July 20th...I hope she gets relief quickly!
Have you asked your dr about singulair?  It helped my husband with energy and he notices a difference w/GI issues when hes not on it.

Patricia

IP Logged

still seeking
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 07/08/11 at 04:28:07

Thank you so very much for responding to me!  I was so concerned because I assumed she would feel immediate results.  I haven't asked about Singulair.  Does he take that instead of zyrtec?  Energy issues and just feeling overall bad is her biggest issue at present.  So thankful she isn't itching though and her nausea is better.  Again, thank you.....have a great day!

Angie (Rylee's mom)

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #3 - 07/08/11 at 05:50:49

The body absorbs very little and it takes time to build up, I just read in one of ramonas posts that it can takenup to 2 months so have patience.

He takes the singulair in addition to Zyrtec with his am meds. It's important that you don't get gaps in your antihistamines because if not some histamine will get through. This is a mistake we were making and between 6-9pm was my husbands witching hour and hed start going into shock. You might consider giving her a Zyrtec around 3 pm and then one before bed. Everyone is different though and consult your dr since she's a child.
Hope this helps!

Patricia

IP Logged

still seeking
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 07/08/11 at 10:32:23

Thanks again Patricia!  Another question then I will leave ya alone.  Her liver enzymes are elevated...specifically her ALT, Alkaline Phos, and GGT.  Ever heard of elevated liver enzymes with MCAD??  BTW....our daughter has never gone into shock - is that normal?
Again thank you for your concern and support.

Angie (Rylee's mom)

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #5 - 07/08/11 at 11:03:36

Ask away...this can all be so  confusing and scary! I know that mast cells can effect everything so probably. Liver enzymes are over my head but I believe it indicates inflammation and it doesn't indicate liver damage.

I'm sure some of the other people on this forum can help you with that, they are all incerdibly knowledgable and I wish they'd pull all this info together and write a book "masto for dummies" for people like me. This forum was a lifeline for me during my husbands most difficult times and it helps to hear everyone else's stories and not feel alone.

Thank goodness your daughter has never gone into shock and that's great! There are people that are leakers (slowly release histamine) and people that are shockers (huge dump of histamine on the body).

How was she diagnosed with MCAD?

Patricia

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #6 - 07/09/11 at 02:51:14

I have MCAD and my liver enzymes were elevated when I first started having major problems (leading to a diagnosis a year later).  Now that I'm more stable mine are back to normal... in fact, on the low end.  The liver is an amazing organ!  If your daughter had any serious damage (which I doubt) all of her enzymes would be very, very elevated.  That would definitely get a doctor's attention.

Heather

ps - As Patricia noted, not everybody shocks... but all mast cell patients have the potential to shock.  It's important to carry an EpiPen.

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

still seeking
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 07/09/11 at 05:06:28

Heather,
Thank you, thank you for your encouraging words.  I have been so worried.  My first cousin passed away at age 19 of liver cancer.  With her liver enzymes elevated I can't help but worry.  However, I am hopeful that the MCAD is causing this elevation.  She has just been recently diagnosed by Dr. Philip Putnam and Cincinnati Children's Hospital.  We live in NC but elevated eosinophils led us to Dr. Putnam and the Center for Eosinophiliac Disorders in 2008.  He treated her but she did not get better.  He did an endoscopy and colonoscopy again June 2011.  This time he was able to see hives all over her and a whole host of other symptoms so he ordered a special staining to look at her mast cells.  He said she has MCAD but doesn't feel it is Mastocytosis (tryptase is normal).  As well, her eosinophil count is very high.....he is treating that with entocort.  She started on the Gastrocrom, Zantac, and Zyrtec on July 5th.  Her Alkaline Phosphate level was 270 and the high end of normal is 104 according to the reference range they provided.  
Any info. you can pass along to me will be helpful as we continue to try to figure all this out.  thanks so much! Smiley  Angie

Angie (Rylee's mom)

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 07/09/11 at 11:29:43

I'm new to all this, too, and don;t have a diagnosis yet. However, I am responding very well to antihistamines. I noticed that even with Zantac and Zyrtec, that the longer I have been taking them, the better I feel. I don't know if this will be true for your daughter, too, but I certainly hope so!

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #9 - 07/09/11 at 12:53:26

I just did a little looking around... I found that alkaline phosphatase is often elevated in teenagers, especially during a growth spurt:

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/alp/tab/test

How elevated were your daughter's ALT and GGT?  Given her age, I think the combination of tests is a much better indicator of the health of her liver.  

Any chance that your cousin had hepatitis?  That's the leading cause of liver cancer, especially in someone so young.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

still seeking
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 07/09/11 at 14:20:46

Thanks for sharing the link.....I am beginning to feel better!  Her ALT was 54 and the normal range is 10-36.  Her GGT was 49 and the normal range is 5-36.

Angie (Rylee's mom)

IP Logged

still seeking
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 07/09/11 at 14:23:07

also Heather, the name of my cousin's liver cancer was heptacellular fribroid myela carcinoma (not sure at all if I spelled that correctly)

Angie (Rylee's mom)

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #12 - 07/09/11 at 15:49:40

Interesting... you learn something new every day.  Here's a link I found about the kind of cancer your cousin had, which is a rare form of liver cancer found mostly in young people without any other liver disease:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/369364-overview

It doesn't sound like the kind of thing that's likely to show up in another family member.  I'm sorry for what happened to your cousin!

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Tassal
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 07/11/11 at 07:38:01

Hi--could I ask what your daughter's symptoms were that led you to see Dr. Putnam in Cincinnati? I need to find a doctor for my son--he has a stomach ulcer and extreme gastric pain following eating (since birth). just wondering what your daughter's symptoms were in order to figure out if Dr. Putnam would be a good fit for my son. Thanks, Julie

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #14 - 07/11/11 at 10:00:26

I would also recommend trying Aloe Vera juice, it's supposed to help with GI issues. I uses Georges from whole foods, tasteless and doesn't need to be refrigerated.
A probiotic, VSL3 is supposed to be very good but itbhad traces of lactose so my husband couldn't take it since he's highly lactose intolerant. We use the allergy free formula by jarro.
He also takes a digestive enzyme essential enzymes to help with his digestion. We have tried the Histame but his diet is so limited that he's not even low histamine it's more ketotonic. Very high in protein, he can only digest red meat, lamb, beef, chicken without being in pain. He gets a reaction from anything orange (carrots sweet potatoes) and only eats broccoli, asparagus, zucchini. Everything has to be cooked to death and prab looses any nutritional value but he can tolerate it. I also read someone else on this forum that can only eat orange veggies not green ones so everyone is different. White mushy Japanese rice and occasionally potatoes. if your child can't swallow pills yet you can sprinkle the enzmyme or probiotic on they food, I did this with my daughter when she was younger.

I would also highly recommend getting in to see dr catsells or Aiken in boston, my husband didn't think it would be worth the trip. We were blown away dr Castells, she's like the anna wintor of Mast Cells and really knows her stuff. Any email or phone call is returned within 15 min and you really feel like you have someone from Seal Team Six helping you!

Have patience, stay strong and you will find relief!

Patricia

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print