Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
triggers for mast cells (Read 8792 times)
Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: triggers for mast cells
Reply #15 - 06/21/11 at 05:52:33

I find that Ativan helps my attacks, too.  I also noticed that it's absorbed under my tongue.  I've wondered exactly what it does that's stops them??  Does anybody know why?  

I haven't tried the Benadryl that way (and there are other antihistamines available in liquid, like Zyrtec, Claritin, and I think Allegra, but that's an interesting thought.  My doctor told me to break open the Benadryl capsule and swallow the insides for faster absorption.  Chewing a pill will hasten absorption, too, but some of them taste nasty!  

Benadryl makes "fast-melts" that melt in your mouth.  I like to carry those in my bag, because they weigh so much less than liquid and are a lot less bulky.  They only seem to come in 12.5 mg., though, so it takes 4 to equal a single adult dose.  Sometimes they're a little hard to get out of the blister pack.

Joan

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: triggers for mast cells
Reply #16 - 06/21/11 at 06:50:57

Nanci,

The experts don't believe at this time that there is a virus or bacteria that remains in the body triggering mast cells.  Some patients feel that their disorder was set in motion by an illness, but the types of illnesses patients report vary from patient to patient.  And, the illness could have been a first mast cell attack that just felt like an infection.  No one knows for sure.  Infections can be degranulation triggers, though, as can anything that revs up the immune system.

In 2008, Dr. Akin told me that researchers believe the cause of SM  is genetic damage from radiation exposure.  That could be from the atmosphere, earth, reactors, medical exposure or other.  (That doesn't mean we shouldn't have x-rays when we need them.  It would take a lot more exposure to cause this kind of damage.)

However, there also are cases in which mast cell disorders run in families, which brings up a million other questions that don't have  answers at this time.

As with any new area of study, of course there could be one or more causes or contributing factors that turn up later.  Research on mast cells is still in a very early stage.

Joan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print