nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Master of None :)
Melissa, TX
Flushing
06/21/11 at 08:54:10

Has anyone else experienced this...

I've read that the more you flush the harder it is to "SEE" although you will always feel it.  Over the last year or so I have noticed that when I flush there are different degrees of severity based on the burning sensation associated to it.

For all practical purposes I lump them into two categories; moderate and Oh My!

I was kicking back on the couch a few minutes ago doing some reading on the forum and out of the blue I had an "Oh My" attack through my face and neck (lasted about 2 minutes); and if you looked at my forehead you can tell that I'm flushing because the skin almost appears to tighten up and turn red throughout with a white splotch almost dead center.

Other times I flush where the burning sensation is not as intense and where as when all of this first started you could easily tell that I was flushing; now I can feel it but it is more difficult to "see"

While I'm thinking about it to; when I flush throughout my upper body especially (it happens more often); I get hives along with the flushing on my back, chest, arms, etc; but not on my face or neck...

Anyway; it was on my mind; as I'm typing this I'm flushing in my right ear (burning on the skin and throbbing on the inside of the ear canal); but it will calm down; fortunately I have not experienced shock yet.

~Lucas

Doctor's are glorified auto mechanics of the human body; make sure you find one that you trust...

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Flushing
Reply #1 - 06/21/11 at 09:39:47

Fortunity for sure. I think the majority of us experience flushing when we are starting to have a reaction. Its your first warning sign many times that you are getting near that barrel over flowing. Time to slow down, take an antihistamine ans relax.. think about what you might have ate or done that could have brought this on. Eat lighter for the rest of that day, sleep well and restart tomorrow Smiley
hope the flush is gone and you feel great now
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Master of None :)
Melissa, TX
Reply #2 - 06/21/11 at 10:12:51

I know; as far as shocking goes; it took me a while of reading on the forum and researching medical sites online to finally figure out that what I have experienced is not shock..  In fact it made me realize that if you have to ask what shocking is; then you probably have not experienced it and I am thankful for that.  I won't lie though, it is something I worry about going through and just pray that it never happens.  (But my Dr. was ahead of me when we first crossed paths last year and the first thing he prescribed me was an epipen); so it's there if I need it.

After posting this morning on the other thread I made the last second decision not to do the Benadryl yet (even though I am reacting like crazy today); I'm taking care of my 3 and 6 year old girls and fear napping if the medicine does make me drowsy; but the second my wife hits the door today I'm on it.  Normally I could trust that my oldest daughter could help; she is so wonderful when I'm having an off day; but she is not home and although I wish she were here I know she needs to be a kid Smiley

Anyway, thanks for the info; I've taken 3 zyrtec already today and have not eaten anything (my appetite is practically non-existent these days)...  I can go forever without even thinking about eating and seldom feel hungry...

~Lucas

Doctor's are glorified auto mechanics of the human body; make sure you find one that you trust...

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 06/21/11 at 10:57:06

Hi Lucas,

My kids are the same ages as yours... I can understand why it's better if you're not drowsy!  That being said, are you sure Benadryl will affect you that way?  Even the 50mg dose doesn't make me sleepy... just relaxed Cool  It doesn't interfere with taking care of my kids, driving, teaching, etc...  I wish I could say the same about painkillers!

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 06/21/11 at 18:34:57

Can you take Allegra?  That might help without making you sleepy.

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 06/22/11 at 01:17:10

Lucas,

There is absolutely NOTHING written that any of us HAVE to take Benedryl!  Geeze, I NEVER take benedryl and the very first time I have taken it since I got sick with my masto was last year IN HOSPITAL!!!   They gave it to me pre-surgery!

I LIVE WITHOUT BENEDRYL!   When I get into trouble I take an extra dose of either Allegra or Ranitidine, depending upon what is the bigger issue going on.  When I begin to go into anaphylaxis I grab my allegra right away!  I'm take the 180mg dose and this usually pulls me out of trouble.   If I have to take more, I do, or sometimes I will take both Allegra AND Ranitidine to cover it.  There is ONLY ONCE when I had to take prednisone as well!!    And, since I do not have an epi-pen, I have NEVER hit in with the epi either!!  

EVERY SINGLE TIME, even with the BIG events, I have taken my antihistamines to get me out of trouble!  EVERY TIME they work!  

The reason why everybody says to grab the benedryl is because it is a very quick working antihistamine.  It's very effective too, but this thing os causing drowsyness is THE ABSOLUTE PITTS!!   I am too sensitive to meds that make me sleepy and they will knock me out for hours afterwards - so I avoid them like the plague!   I will take those ONLY at night or else I'm a lost cause, period!   And when you've got little ones around, there is NO WAY you can be snoozing - it's too  dangerous and it only takes once to repent of something so stupid as this for the remainder of your days!!  Those kids are too precious and kids get into trouble too easily and there is just NO WAY you can be taking benedryl.  So, if you get into trouble, take your H1 blocker the kind that doesn't make you loopy - Allegra, Zyrtec, etc.  Ranitidine helps, but it's not as affective since it's an H2 blocker and the histamines that are usually most involved need the H1 blockers to really get you out of trouble.

I hope this helps

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

nanciswell
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 06/22/11 at 01:25:38

I   have just started to  use homepathic  histamine on the brilliant  advice  of my  MD   and it  works  immediately to stop the worst of my  reactions.. ie  flushing/  sweating/  severe sleepiness/ fatigue.. Marvellous,  vey safe and  cheap to boot ..

I  am  using  potency  6C..  I  have learned to make my own  using  water .  I  buy the original    pellets from  my local  health food store /and or  compounding pharmacy,  dissolve  one dose in water  and succuss { the homeopathic term for  shaking  }  100 times.. Works  all the  time..  Costs  nothing .. Do   a google of make you own homeopathic..

I am  curently experimenting to see if  I take it  sooner.. as soon as  I  eat something  I  suspect ,  before the reaction even  begins if it  helps  stop the  reaction totally..

nanci

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #7 - 06/22/11 at 02:45:02

Interesting. You will have to keep us updated on how it does. As a reminder, those who are shockers should always use caution when trying anything new and alternative. It is literally a matter of life and death, as we shockers can go down quickly.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print