Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
triggers for mast cells (Read 8794 times)
nanciswell
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

triggers for mast cells
06/19/11 at 13:00:05

What  is  the  chemical that  triggers  the mast  cell  to  send out histamine??  Is it  related to a  certain  hormone? and where  does that  hormone/ or whatever originate from.??

I also  wonder if   researchers  have looked into  any bacterial/ viral   link to  masto..  just  as  say for  ulcers  it is now known that  alot of ulcers  form due to  the  bacteria    called  Heliobacter  pylouri   { sp?}

nancy

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: triggers for mast cells
Reply #1 - 06/19/11 at 13:53:52

There are MANY things that trigger mast cells to either partially or fully degranulate.  For example...

- Food proteins
- FceRI antibodies
- Anti-IgE antibodies
- Complement
- Prothrombin
- Fever
- Exercise
- Infection
- Hot food/drink
- Physical stress
- Emotional stress
- Pressure
- Vibration
- Hormones
- Sunlight
- Antibiotics
- Most opiods
- Anesthetics
- Beta blockers
- Heparin
- Latex
- Adhesives
- CT contrast
- Iodine
- etc...

Every single person has mast cells... and we desperately need them to protect us from viruses, parasites, and bacteria.  To a certain degree, mast cell degranulation is a normal, completely healthy process.  The danger is when you have too many mast cells, they trigger too easily, and/or they release all their contents at once causing shock.  

People like us are just getting way too much of a good thing Grin

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 06/20/11 at 05:42:01

Ulcers and GI Tract masto reactions are 2 different things. Each person is different but, we all have our own signals that we are reacting; some people sneeze, some get a tickle in their throats. Some get nausea or heartburn, some flush and sweat. Some peoples BP goes up, others go down. Some people will have trouble breathing and their heart rate will jump up.  Some june people get very dizzy. Some people itch like fire, some people cant get out of the bathroom.

Most of us will flush and our tummy will get upset. The stomach is the largest venous pool of blood--considered an organ, of course. With that great exposure to mast cells (even eating can trigger a reaction), it is the most likely area to begin/trigger reactions--but certainly not the last Smiley

Some Drs are researching if there is a chemical pathway to triggering mast cell reactions and theyve found some interesting facts--but not THE answer, quite yet. Lets hope this is the year!
blessings
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Master of None :)
Melissa, TX
Reply #3 - 06/20/11 at 07:14:21

Ramona when I read your post I felt like I was reading an excerpt from my own life Smiley

Sneezing, tickle in my throat, nausea, heartburn, flushing, sweating, high BP, high heart rate, dizziness, itching, bathroom camping (as I call it) -- it makes me smile but not laugh (if that makes sense).

I will say this, when the itching gets way out of control I have found that Aloe works wonders...  Ok, actually my wife figured it out.  I would itch to the point where I would start breaking skin and for me if one area of my body starts itching then practically my whole body will follow.  She asked and asked and asked for months when it would happen if she could do anything for me and always offered to rub aloe...  Finally one day I was so tired of the itching and I caved (in my mind I thought there was no way it would help); but it does.

Now if there were only such simple remedies for everything else Smiley

Doctor's are glorified auto mechanics of the human body; make sure you find one that you trust...

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 06/20/11 at 08:52:22

You wife is a smart woman Smiley

When you itch like that, its a dangerous time for me. Itching becomes a very bad cycle--you feel itchy and itch--the itching makes it spread faster and itch worse. I get to the point where it feels like fire and I want to rip my skin off.. Until I knew better, I would grab a brush and use that to itch.. I never do now!!

Do NOT itch when you feel like that (I end up in shock if I do). Recognize it as the mast cells in your circulation are buzzing like african bees, out of control. Time to stop them. First take an extra med--whichever works best for you. If Im really bad, I will take Benadryl and even prednisone to stop from going into shock.

Next, you must do something to relieve your skin (temporarily until the med kicks in). Aloe is great, whatever works for you... rub slowly do not itch. The less pressure on your skin the better. I have ice packs in the freezer for pain but I will use them for itchiness too. I also will jump into a cool shower and sit there until the meds kick in. (I also take a Xanax so I will "chill out" mentally).

Heres hoping you feel wonderful today Smiley
Hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Melissa, TX
Reply #5 - 06/20/11 at 09:09:09

Thank you Ramona; I am lucky to have my wife, she goes way above and beyond on my bad days and I couldn't imagine how I would function without her.

As to the Benadryl; as I was on my "Road" to diagnosis I was buying and taking the pill form of benadryl and found that it really did not make me feel any better and left me drowsy causing me to sleep quiet a bit more frequently and for longer periods of time.  (I think I read someone else post similar info about Benadryl recently)...

Just out curiousity is the liquid form better than the pill form?  I haven't tried liquid benadryl yet but would be open to it as it's OTC and inexpensive in comparison to Zyrtec and Zantac...

Doctor's are glorified auto mechanics of the human body; make sure you find one that you trust...

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #6 - 06/20/11 at 10:51:26

I dont think the liquid is any better than the pill but.... it does work quicker since its a liquid.. it doesnt have to fall apart first to be metabolized by your body--so thats a plus.

Heres a nurse quick tip if you take pills and need it to kick in quickly (like a pain pill). Take your pill and follow it with a cup of something warm to drink. It makes pills dissolve faster and wakes the tummy up to start absorbing the medicine.

Have a great night.
Ramona

IP Logged

nanciswell
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 06/20/11 at 15:53:11

I can  extrapolate my question..

I am wondering if there is  a possibility of  a  bacteria/ virus that is the  reason  our  mast cells  are  so  easily  triggered..

So  just  as in   ulcers  where the bacteria is the  culprit  , maybe there is some  bacteria/ virus  which is alway  present  and if that  was no longer there   there would no longer  be  mast cell degranulation.

IP Logged

nanciswell
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 06/20/11 at 15:55:16

another  query..
How  do  food  reactions  happen ??  
Are histamines  released  in  all the  parts.. ie stomach,  small intestine,  large intestine??

I know the mast cells  can  degranulate  releasing histamine . But  why do reactions  go on and on for longer than the food is in the stomach.??  Does the histamine stay with the  food  as it  progresses  through the digestive tract  so that it is continuing  to irritate  the linings of the  small intestine , then large intestine.. ?? or  are  the mast cells  also in the  intestines  and these  release histamine.??

nanci

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #9 - 06/20/11 at 23:12:59

nanciswell wrote on 06/20/11 at 15:53:11:
So  just  as in   ulcers  where the bacteria is the  culprit  , maybe there is some  bacteria/ virus  which is alway  present  and if that  was no longer there   there would no longer  be  mast cell degranulation.

That's not how it works.  Even normal people have mast cells that are constantly in a mild state of degranulation.  The mast cells release a lot more than histamine... there are also prostaglandins (which signal pain), cytokines (which signal to other types of cells), leukotrienes (which cause vasodilation), heparin (a natural blood thinner), PAF (a very potent vasodilator), serotonin, tryptase, etc...  Many of these things are necessary for the normal functioning of the human body.  You wouldn't want to completely stop degranulation.  It's like saying, "Can't you get rid of cancer by stopping cell division?"  I guess you could... but then you would die, because cell division is necessary for human existence.

As to your question about foods... in classic (IgE) food allergies, your immune system has decided that a certain food (or foods) is a deadly virus.  In response, it makes IgE antibodies to that substance... say, the protein in peanuts.  Every time you encounter that food, those IgE antibodies say, "Red alert, red alert!" and they connect to the high-affinity IgE receptors on your mast cells, causing them to release all their contents at once.  In that case, it's actually a good thing to vomit, because your whole GI system is lined with millions of mast cells.  You don't want that food continuing on its way down the rest of your system.

Some people with mast cell disorders (a small percentage) also have food allergies.  Most of us don't.  I don't.  My mast cells go off for other reasons that have nothing to do with IgE antibodies.  Apparently, what the research is now showing is that most people with these disorders... maybe even all of them... have genetic mutations that cause our mast cells to trigger much easier than normal.  That's not the kind of thing you can solve by avoiding a certain food or taking a pill.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #10 - 06/21/11 at 03:11:28

As to the itches.    

Ramona is 100% right in that you MUST NOT SCRATCH!!  Even rubbing will trigger you further!

Why?

Well, there are mast cells all throughout the skin, as they need to be to do their normal function.  However, the physical act of touching a mast cell, wherever it is in the body, triggers it.  This is why the more you rub or itch, the worse it gets.  

So, this is why, when our doctors do invasive exams, the possibility of that physical messing around with our innerds always creates some kind of triggering.  This is why colonoscopes and endoscopes are risky procedures for us.  They physical moving around of those inner tissues creates degranulation.  

Now, if you take this further, all of us have varying degrees of sensitivity and some of us are more reactive than others which is why some of us can get away with the no nos whereas others don't dare do it!  I, for one am so hypersensitive that my doctors freak when we have to do exams and I must be hospitalized to keep me safe.  Some of you would find it hard to believe.  I've had it where just the mere laxative, when it kicked in to clear out my intestines, was so aggressive that this put me into anaphylaxis!  Believe it or not!

As according to Dr. Escribano's protocols, just the drying off of the skin of a masto patient, especially those with UP can put them into anaphylaxis.  If rubbing the skin can do that, imagine what scratching will do?   The itching is showing that you've been triggered.  You're already in the snowball and it's rolling about, all you need is a bit of a hill to pick up momentum!

So, when you feel that symptom kick in, take it as a warning sign that you're already stepping and moving into dangerous territory, you've got to find a means to halting that movement and retracing your steps back into equilbrium.

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

nanciswell
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 06/21/11 at 03:48:37

Why not  a virus that  affects the  immune system  to  be trigger happy.. ??  

Like  maybe   one of the vaccines   we have gotten??  I have a  virus  from  the polio vaccine  called Simian  virus.. IT was not  supposed to be there in the first place  but it  was  being  injected into a  heck of alot of people as  how many  batches of  polio  vaccine where infected with the  monkey  virus..  

It was not until  1963  that  they made sure it was  not  in the vaccine.  It  leads to  chronic  neck/ shoulder / in my case  a frozen shoulder.  plus  cancer in the  brain..  Now  cancer  was not thought to be viral  for  a long time..  We need to keep an open  mind ..

nanci

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #12 - 06/21/11 at 04:37:09

Ramona,

You mentioned drinking something warm after your pill to get it to dissolve quickly. I have an even better tip for you, given to my by amazing internist (who died from Hodgkins). At the time he couldn't figure out what I had. He went with severe IBS, but I doubt he thought that was really it. Anyway, he gave me Xanax as an anti convulsant for my GI tract since I was having so many attacks. We noticed the Xanax would stop the diarrhea and attack. He told me that when I got sick and needed it to work quickly, that I should put the pill under my tongue. He said it would dissolve and enter my blood stream instantly rather than needing to wait for it to work by swallowing it.

I bet that would work with our histamine blockers during am attack. Is there any reason to not try it when getting really ill? I have often wondered about this, but didn't know if the histamine blocker should not be dissolved that fast. Do you know?

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Melissa, TX
Reply #13 - 06/21/11 at 05:49:32

Heather -- I've wondered about food allergies because within reason I have not had "many" limitations on what I can or cannot eat; my indigestion / heart burn has spiked over the last few years which I now understand can cause me to experience other issues; so I am mindful of what I eat and when I eat it.  Like pizza for dinner is a thing of the past for me, but I can still eat it for lunch or if there are left overs a small slice as a mid day snack (when I actually have an appetite)...  However I know that I am "NOT" allergic to anything I've ingested over the years.  I appreciate you pointing that out because I was one that thought food allergies were more common with Mast Cell Disease.

Ramona -- You are so sweet; I still have benadryl in the pill form that I have not taken; so I will take your advice today (as I am already reacting and putting on a show for my kids) and see if taking it with a warm beverage helps make it work a little quicker.  After I posted yesterday I started wondering if the drowsy feeling and amount of sleep I needed when I took it last year was more of a sign that it was working and my body telling me to REST Smiley

Lisa -- I promise "No More Scratching" -- I never thought about how scratching in one area could cause the mast cells to go nuts everywhere else; but it makes complete sense.  I tend to start itching more around the calves of my legs more frequently than any where else and if I scratch; within a minute or so I will be itching from head to toe (and for those who know what I am talking about; it is extremely uncomfortable).

I am also curious about Deborah's question about putting our antihistamine's under the tongue to get them into the blood stream to work faster.  It makes sense to me as well.

You are all so wonderful and I hope you are having a great day today...

~Lucas

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #14 - 06/21/11 at 05:49:44

I think it would depend on each pill and how much of  coating it had on it but, youre right...many meds that are taken by mouth can be crushed and put under the tongue to metabolize quicker. I would look up the specific pill and see what it says (never do it with a time release pill). Great tip.. and thanks,, my memory fails me sometimes LOL ahhh brain fog!!
love ya
Ramona

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print