Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
chemicals, people's fragrances/deodorants (Read 3411 times)
Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

chemicals, people's fragrances/deodorants
06/16/11 at 01:19:54

I have noticed a marked increase in my sensitivity in the past 2 weeks to other people's smells, deodorants, lotions, body washes, etc.  It's starting to get ridiculous!  I can't even be near someone who has certain types of deodorants and if they have perfume on I have to keep a distance or it starts everything going for me.  Going to church has become so difficult for me or having people over to my house.  How am I going to tell people not to wear lotions, and all their smelly stuff around me?  I feel like it is too much drama to have me as a friend because of all these crazy restrictions my body has.

I can tolerate people's scents for only a few minutes and then it sets loose an ugly monster inside of me.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: chemicals, people's fragrances/deodorants
Reply #1 - 06/16/11 at 04:59:35

Hon its like anything else, you do it slowly and with love. Theres an old saying;
Those who mind, dont matter,
Those who matter dont mind.
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 06/16/11 at 06:20:43

Good advice, Ramona!

Jared,

You need to have a scent-free refuge, and it's no different from asking people not to smoke in your house.  You can send an email or post on a social media site that you're asking all your friends and family to help you feel better by not wearing scented products to your house, and make a list of what bothers you.

You don't have control over church, except to sit someplace where you can't smell anything from others.  Still, you may need to move or leave if it gets bad.

Joan

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 07/11/11 at 17:56:21

Jared, this has been my life for awhile. I'm frustrated today so I'm not going to be all "Peppy" in my response and I apologize for that. I'd like to say it's not my usual personality! I've battled this particular area for awhile.  I did have to stop going to church, I went from just getting a little nauseous and migraines to full on anaphalaxis. Many churches have a "fragrance free section" however I never found them safe enough. That of course is the only uncrowded section "free" when all the divas that were late getting ready for church making themselves beautiful and perfect show up and are late then walk over to your empty area, see the sign make a huff and sit there anyway with the  attitude, no one is going to tell me what to do. Just my experience but it's happened a lot. I've given up. Not on my faith. Just selfishness and it's not worth my life. Maybe you could have a group over to your home. Or talk to your pastor about your disease and see if they could give you and others a section to try and make an announcement about how serious of a problem this has become. It's not only Mast Cell patients. There are a lot of people now having scent sensitivities, I can't get over how many I come across compared to 20 years ago. Ramonas poem is great and very correct. I tried not telling people, it got bad enough I no longer have the luxury of not telling them if you are  throwing up by the time they left. Most people would die if they knew they made you sick. So they'd rather know than not see you..... On that subject I've had family show up knowing full well, wearing something and I quitetly grab my meds and quadruple them, saying nothing while they grin. By the time they leave I'm very very ill. I'm not confrontational and have a few sick narcissistic psychopaths in the family. I'm done with that, by the time they leave I'm in the bathroom throwing up. A few weeks ago one showed up at my daughters graduation party wearing just a smidgen on her chest. By the time they left I was so sick and really irritated that I allowed myself to be bullied. That's what that was, her knowing full well and (testing me) I should have looked at my brother and said, I'm sorry your wife has put a dot of her scent on herself purposely to make me sick. I know the difference between unwashed clothes that reek of old perfume which makes me sick and a fresh dollop. Please leave, It takes a sick person to purposely make someone sick.  Dryer vents are another awesome addition to this now that these pungent laundry detergents are on the market. It's insane!  Ok sorry bout that I just got back from a quick "trip" and trips are becoming harder and harder this was literally and overnighter and was close to disastrous, the fragrances were just everwhere. Thank God the hotel room was my refuge, and I listened to the wonderful advice on this board and took more medication. I was first being stupid and waiting to take my next dose and going downhill rapidly then thought OK brilliant, you've been here before pop that zantac and in an hour allegra. The exhaustion after an episode is awful isn't it! Im home behind in everything, have this "found" dog that is high maintenance but I'm determined to help and I just want to be in bed for days but I don't have my next meal made! Arggggghhhh I'd really encourage you to talk to your pastor, rabbi, priest whomever and he may himself know of several folks not in your exact situation but will be with the fragrance. Some pastors have actually excitedly begged for it to be up front because they themselves are suffering! Then my other side thinks of the "gain" people that's the overbearing laundry detergent people they reek just as bad and consider themselves not to be wearing perfume! Ok I"m rambling.  Joan also had wonderful advice using your email and social media! And she's correct make your house your refuge you have to. I hope this fragrance sensitivity area is just a "flare" for you and you do not end up with this situation permanently. It has happened for some on this board they've had issues for a bit and it went away for the most part with some particular brands as still major no no's. Ok that was the perky hopeful part Smiley I'm so sorry this is happening to you it is maddening.I'd say we seem to be a crowd that is very driven non drama queen/kings we are tough cookies that don't like to draw attention to ourselves. We refuse to let this disease define us, yet really at any given moment, no matter how well we've planned, it does remind us how much power it has. We must respect that for our lives sake. Your true friends will gladly recognize the inconvenience this is to you to suddenly be so restricted in activities.

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #4 - 07/18/11 at 17:27:07

Is Gain that dang degerent that everyone uses that takes like 10 washes to get out? Uhhh! I get a lot of my kids clothes at consignment shops and I have to wash the clothes so many times to get that dang smell out. I love perfume, even worked at a fragrance counter in my twenties, but those days are over and there is very little scents I can wear. That Gain detergent can't be good for you. I'm going to look into it.
Melissa

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 07/18/11 at 19:52:56

I don't know what Gain smells like, but Downy fabric softener does me in.  Immediate headache and nausea, etc.  yuck!

Joan

IP Logged

Ardyth
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 09/07/11 at 07:43:02

Is it possible to fly when we have this sensitivity?  I still need to travel to see my family!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 09/07/11 at 14:14:38

I do fly, and if I'm seated near someone with any smell that I know will trigger me, I ask to be seated elsewhere.  The flight attendants are very good about that.

Or, you can take a respirator mask and wear it if you notice something.  Premedicating is always helpful.

Joan

IP Logged

Traceyr
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 09/30/11 at 07:32:29

I know when I go to a Mall with an Abercrombie store, they put a bottle of perfume on every shirt.  Its so bad you can smell it 20 stores away.  My eyes water, nose runs badly, I get dizzy, and a headache.   Also get this way in the department store perfume area....whew!

IP Logged

GodIsLove
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 10/08/11 at 18:09:00

It is awful to have the sensitivity problem. I have had it for nearly 3 years and some doctors think I am crazy. I have terrible asthma attacks when I smell all of those odors or anything that has any type of chemical in it. Plus now with the mastocytic entercolitis smells also have an effect there too. One of my doctors said I needed to be in a bubble. It's a terrible way to live and none of the doctors seem to know what to do except to tell you to stay away from the triggers and that basically makes you a homebound person.  But I know that God loves me and eventually there will be an answer. Just hang in there. Keep the faith Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print