Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Makeup ? (Read 4187 times)
iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Makeup ?
10/15/11 at 14:09:02

Anyone ?
I stopped wearing it when I was first diagnosed; now, once in a while...
So yesterday, putting on that fabulous new "false eylashes look" mascara, and got some in my eye. It was before lunch- which was clam chowder and tuna melt- which in itself was probably not too smart Embarrassed DUH !!! So... of course Ive been flaring n feel like crap. Seriously tho-SHOULD i throw away all my makeup n just use basic hypoallergergenic for special occasions ?  Undecided  No more makeup- Halloween's gonna be REAL scary this year !!! Shocked
lori

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Makeup ?
Reply #1 - 10/15/11 at 15:02:07

Hi Lori,

I don't know whether the mascara was a problem or not, but your lunch was probably the major cause of your flare.  Tuna is one of the top ten foods that contain large amounts of histamine, and that's fresh and canned.  Shellfish is not recommended for mast cell patients either.

If you haven't already seen it, do look at the low histamine diet.  (google "low histamine diet ICUS").  If you stick to it, you might feel better more consistently.  I don't mean that to sound like I'm wagging a finger at you.  I have my own weaknesses and things I eat that I should avoid.  (Ahhh, that demon named chocolate!)

I have no problems with Almay mascara, and have used Clinique make-up without problems for years.  I think it's probably very individual which brand each of us can tolerate.  However, be sure to try them when you're not exposed to other triggers.  What you bought might turn out to be fine.
« Last Edit: 10/15/11 at 20:39:30 by Joan »  

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 10/17/11 at 07:05:42

Thanks Joan;
I wii print out the diet today ! Also, sunglasses are my new best
friend Cool ! Gonna invest in some new makeup. I always forget about Clinique, cuz we're a bit of a drive from the malls now. No more fish for me. I was raised very catholic so fish is a habit...I'll have to break, along with chocolate, wine, etc.  Sad But an "ounce of prevention", n all that jazz. Thanks again,
lori

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 10/17/11 at 11:19:32

Hi Lori,

Almay is carried at Walgreens and I think also at Walmart and other stores that might be closer than a mall.  I can't imagine giving up mascara!

Hope you find something that works for you, and hope the diet helps, too.  I've found that I can eat fresh salmon (or frozen).  I stay away from canned, though.  Salmon is less likely to produce histamine than other fish.  I try to use wild caught, because the farm raised has color added.  It works in most fish recipes.  I can also eat freshly caught trout, if it's cleaned immediately and cooked or frozen within an hour or so of catching.  As with any meat, leftovers are a no-no, unless they were frozen within a couple of hours after cooking.

Once your symptoms are under control, you might find that you can have a taste of some of the forbidden foods when your triggers are low.  I can eat some chocolate or  have a small glass of wine, when my symptoms are really well controlled and I'm feeling good.

Joan

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #4 - 10/17/11 at 15:46:45

Joan is 100% correct in that your lunch was probably the culprit. So many people do not realize the importance of avoiding trigger foods.  Just start reading and learning so that you can try and see what you can eat and what you cannot.

As for makeup: I use MAC makeup, and it is great. No reactions at all from it. For macara, I like the Maybelline Telescopic one.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 10/18/11 at 04:37:52

Thanks again;
And yep Deb- learning the hard way to be more vigilant! Embarrassed
What is MAC makeup ? I've never heard of that brand...
Thanks,
lori

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 10/18/11 at 14:04:36

MAC is a major cosmetic line, but you may not be familiar with it if there are no MAC stores in your city. Major department stores, such as Saks, Nordstrom, etc, will have MAC counters in their cosmetic departments.  You can go in and have their makeup artists apply their makeup to you for free. Then you can see if you react to it. It is free of fragrances, etc  in order to keep it hypo-allergenic.  Hopefully you could use it.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print