Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Emergency situation preparation (Read 2264 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Emergency situation preparation
05/23/11 at 05:13:30

As I am seeing the continual tornado devastation in the US (and being as I live in the Midwest, where tornadoes are common), it has made me realize that those with medical issues such as ours are at extreme risk in such an emergency as a natural disaster. So, let's post tips on how to be prepared.

It seems logical to have a bag of your meds that you can quickly grab and run with if you need to. I know that in the past, when I have headed down with the family to the basement when there is a tornado headed our way, that I generally grab my purse because it has about 2 or 3 days worth of meds along with my epi pens. Even smarter, though, would be for me to grab an already prepared backpack with my meds, extra epis, first aid supplies, and even a couple bottles of water. Also to have on hand, flashlights, batteries, a battery operated radio, cell phone, case of bottled water, blankets.

Anyone want to add to this list?

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Emergency situation preparation
Reply #1 - 05/23/11 at 08:30:23

Deb my friend Olive has what she calls a 2 wks of survival stuff..things that would hold you for that length of time..
you could add some dried foods to your list as it usual is compact and does not take up much space...dried milk for the kids etc..
redbird

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/23/11 at 09:26:55

OOPS..masto brain not working today...it is a 72 hr kit not a two weeks..
redbird

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 05/23/11 at 09:53:45

Good idea, Deb.  I keep a stash of medication, EpiPens, a flashlight, cell phone, etc... in the bag I carry around every day, but I think I'll add a small first-aid kit.  If I know bad weather is on the way I'll also throw in my emergency binder!  I'm usually so preoccupied getting the kids down to the basement when the siren goes off... it's definitely smart to prepare in advance.  I also keep two gallons of water in our tornado shelter.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 05/23/11 at 17:07:08

Since most of these items will keep for long periods, why don't you store a box of all of these items already IN the basement or your safe area instead of having to "grab" it and run there?!!   It seems to me that if I had a tornado coming I'd be grabbing KIDS and that would take enough time to gather them!  Having to remember to grab something else on top of it would likely slip my mind in the fright of it all!!!

So, I think it's wiser to gather together an emergency box and leave it ready and waiting in case the emergency arises with ALL of the various items you need in such an emergency, especially if the tornado came in the middle of the night, which has been known to happen - think about it, no electricity and you're groping for kids, husband, dog AND EMERGENCY STUFF?  !   NOPE, it doesn't work like that!!!  Best to have it already down there ready and waiting and hoping never to be used!!

KEEP SAFE EVERYBODY!!!

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #5 - 05/24/11 at 01:37:54

You mean I have to take the kids and hubbie? Geez! Shocked haa

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 05/31/11 at 12:39:43

Two more good ideas:  wear bike helmet for tornados, protect that noggin from flying debri if you can.  Also, have a stash of face masks.  Keep the dust out of your lungs if the buildings get hammered, or bacteria away from your respiratory system in case of flooding.

Was practicing two days ago when we had a tornado warming here!  Severe storms and tornado warnings to the north of us tonight. MAKE IT STOP!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print