Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clearing a house of allergens (Read 2060 times)
kirkmc
Rookie

Clearing a house of allergens
05/26/11 at 21:47:18

The thing that seems to have set me off is a cleaning product that we stopped using in early April. Since then, I still get allergic symptoms when I'm in parts of the house where it was used, and am basically cloistered in two rooms on the upper floor of my home (the product was used on the ground floor tiles). I wear a mask when I leave those rooms, but if I don't put the mask on I feel pretty quickly irritation in my nose, mouth and eyes.

We've tried cleaning the floor several times with vinegar. We've also vaccumed the walls and ceilings. Does anyone have any tips for finally getting rid of this allergen? It's getting to be the hot season here, and I'd really like to be able to sleep downstairs where it is much cooler.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Clearing a house of allergens
Reply #1 - 05/27/11 at 02:06:43

Have you considered trying to redo those floors with either alcohol or bleach and then again with vinegar afterwards?  Perhaps the product had some kind of petroleum base and the vinegar won't cut it to remove it from the floor, which is why the product remains.  I would think that using a strong alcohol and water solution would help.  Ammonia might too, but Ammonia can be dangerous which is why I hesitate to suggest it.  I'd try either alcohol or bleach first with vinegar  afterwards and then see how things go.   Good luck!

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/27/11 at 09:21:27

I don't know how reactive you are, but if it was me, using bleach or alcohol would just about kill me.

With odors in interiors, sometimes you can bake them out. Close the room up, turn the heat on high, then after a bit, open windows and do a couple of air exchanges, and repeat until the odors are gone.

To try washing it out, I would go for a degreaser that is non-toxic. Safecoat makes good products.http://www.afmsafecoat.com/products.php?page=5

Some products here might be safe. It depends on your sensitivities.
http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/cleaning-supplies.html

You are probably looking for a degreaser that will dissolve solvents and fragrances. It isn't common for odors to get so deeply into a hard surface floor. It may be in the grout, in which case you might want to get a grout sealer. Safecoat makes one.

If the odor has gotten absorbed into the walls, you could try wiping them down with soapy hot water. Last resort might be to use a paint like Safecoat paint that will seal odors in the walls.

I'm really sorry. I know how hard it can be when the rooms you live in are not even safe. Good luck, and try testing very small amounts of any cleaner before using it in the whole room.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

kirkmc
Rookie

Reply #3 - 05/29/11 at 03:36:55

I really don't want to use bleach. We've washed a few times with vinegar, but that hasn't done the trick. It may be in the grout, which is annoying, because putting a sealant just on the grout would be complicated. (These are a special kind of terra cotta tiles.)

The cleaning product had wax in it, which is why it could stick around for a long time. But I think it's also on the walls. My wife did some vacuuming of the walls, but we have a cleaning person coming in next week who I'll ask to do more.

This sucks. But for other reasons, we have been thinking of moving anyway. Not that we can do this tomorrow, but the house making me sick is one more reason. Unfortunately, I work at home, and I may have to rent an apartment somewhere for a few months to work in.

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/29/11 at 07:17:33

Bleach would kill me too, it also won't dissolve anything. Dawn has a fragrance in it that bothers me, they even have fragrance in their "free" product ( lame) however it is a massive degreaser. maybe you could have a loved one dawn dishwash the area let it sit a bit and rinse like crazy. Also I love shaklees basic H, but you can't get it in stores, dawn will break nasty stuff down, just have someone else do it for you and give it a try.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print