Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Immodium or Acidopholus (sp?) (Read 2067 times)
missmarple
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Immodium or Acidopholus (sp?)
05/29/11 at 08:42:14

Hi all. I have been battling severe depression for the last month and the doc has put me on an SSRI (Lexapro). I know they are 'bad' for us mast cell types but I really need to give it a go or at least try another if this fails.

I am having horrible diarrhea though - does anyone know if we mast cell types can take Immodium or an Acidohpholus type supplement? Both are recommended on the Net for this type of reaction.

Immodium is also called loperamide. If anyone can recommend another diarrhea type treatment I am all ears as have not been able to leave the house for two days which is quite hard with a three year old!

Thank you all.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Immodium or Acidopholus (sp?)
Reply #1 - 05/29/11 at 10:13:52

Hi missmarple,

There are actually few types of medication that are universal triggers for mast cell patients... and sometimes even those can be used with caution.  The important thing is how you personally react.  Some mast cell patients become extremely fatigued (or irritable) with certain antidepressants, but there are many different types to try.

Are you taking an H2 antihistamine?  I don't think it would do any harm to take Immodium, but if you really do have a mast cell disorder then the way to stop the diarrhea at it's source is with an H2, the most common being ranitidine or famotidine.  Even better is to add a mast cell stabilizer like ketotifen or cromolyn sodium.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missmarple
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/29/11 at 12:12:56

Hi Heather

I am taking ketotifen already and ranitidine. I don't think it is a mast cell reaction to the SSRI per se - just a side effect - and what has been suggested is Immodium or acidophlous. I just don't know if eitehr of those suits masties? Thank you for the quick reply.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 05/29/11 at 12:29:57

The only thing you can really do with new medications or supplements is try them and see how you react.  They might be fine.  If they're not fine you'll probably know within 24-48 hours.  Acidophilus should be very safe, but it takes time to work... it's not a "rescue" medication.  Immodium is a little riskier, but it should start working quickly.

What dose(s) of Zantac are you taking?

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/30/11 at 17:39:06

Hi Miss Marple,
I'm sorry you are struggling with depression ,  I've also been pretty down lately. Sometimes maintenance of these symptoms is so frustrating! I spent a lot of years being able to manage with not a ton of people knowing whats wrong with me, now It's just not like that anymore, I'm having to admit/acknowledge limitations and it's frustrating the (*&*&&& out of me.  I personally can't wait for menopause!!! I do much worse that time of the month. I'm going to have a party when it's over!! Ok, back to your subject..... I personally did react horribly to Immodium,( but I have a history of terrible medication reactions) I've struggled with very chronic diarrhea for a long time. I can easily go through a big roll in a day. The things that helped me the greatest were elimination of dietary triggers/intolerance's/allergies, I've got a ton and Allegra (fexofenadine) yeah that's right fexofenadine! It blew my mind when I improved once I started it! (again had trouble with one brand and did wonderful with another) then adding the rantidine that I finally found and it has helped too. I credit allegra to my first formed poo in a decade!  Acidophilus, sure it's good stuff , however it's usually in a base of lactose /dairy and if you have a problem with what it's in forgetaboutit! I'd rather see you get an overall probiotic with much more than acidophilus, the prob is finding one you tolerate! I believe Joan tolerates align, PB8 is another good one, If I recall you are overseas so you may be doing some research . Hit up some health food stores and see what they have, see if there are samples you could try then you are not out of the expense of a bottle if you don't do well. If you tolerate dairy then get the natural whole yogurts they are full of good stuff.  Gut health is very important to overall health, the world is slowly coming around in that arena. My diarrhea is  histamine/mast cell based if it wasn't Allegra wouldn't have helped enormously. So your key could be upping your antihistamines. Also dietary changes to "thicker foods" you tolerate
oatmeal, protein, it might be a tad bit slower to work but may bother you less! Also your "intestines" may adjust to your new med and your constitution could be right back to normal! Hugs, Kiddo you have a three year old so you get some rest when that child is ,  you hear! This was a random scatterbrained note from Sandi!

IP Logged

missmarple
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 06/01/11 at 04:27:31

Hi - thank you both so much. i am going to up the ranitidne - currently taking only 150mg. It's not even the depression that's hurting - i have OCD and it has exploded.....

Sandi - I can only tolerate about ten foods - mostly dairy, vegetables and rice.....I shall look up the supps you siggested - so many thanks. This is a tough disease sometimes - not eating was bad but combined with OCD and depression is worse! Still, always darkest before dawn and all that * british stiff upper lip*

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print