Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shocked again lastnight (Read 8551 times)
Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Shocked again lastnight
Reply #15 - 05/13/11 at 05:42:48

Hi Ramona,

I personally think fibromyalgia is mostly a wastebasket diagnosis, where they put the people they can't figure out. It does help some to have a name they can put to their pain, but there is not a lot they can do to relieve it, and for some, it prevents looking into what the real cause is.

I'm not a doctor or nurse, but I do work in a doctor's office doing medical research. We work primarily with people who are very sick, that no one can figure out. I've seen a variety of ways the immune system can go haywire, though I am just learning about what mast cells can do.

I hope they figure out what is going on for you, soon. It may be you have multiple things going on, which muddies the picture. I'm glad you are moving ahead with getting testing, even though it isn't quite what you were originally hoping for.

I know a number of people who have low IgG subclasses, and they almost all find IgG infusions are extremely helpful. There may be complications for you with the masto, but most of them are very reactive to all kinds of things as well. You would need to start at MUCH lower doses than usually given, as IgG infusions can trigger activation in your immune system. You may not end up going down that path, but if so, be sure to go SLOW.

So sad to hear the stories with families. I have a large family, and it is split. Part of them have told me I am just whining for attention, and to come back to see them when I grow up. This is what I was told when I was going into the hospital to have a PICC line inserted for IV antibiotics for the infection in my brain. It was very painful to find the same brothers and sisters that I have taken in to my own home when they were down and out, have turned their backs on me, because it makes THEM feel too bad to hear how I am doing. Eye opening, in a painful way. Like Josie, I have distanced myself from them to protect myself.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/13/11 at 06:56:21

Hi Ramona ,

I wrote you a long response , and its gone . Ill do so again later .

I hope you are resting xxx many hugs
Jose

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Fibromyalgia
Reply #17 - 05/13/11 at 11:03:05

Hi Susan,

There is research that is showing that mast cells are involved in fibromyalgia.  Still, you are right that it's often diagnosed when other answers can't be found.  If you Google "fibromyalgia mast cells", there are some interesting articles.

Joan

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - 05/14/11 at 03:47:16

Hey Ramona,

I am so SORRY!!!! Geez!!!!!

Yep, done the empty park lot thing at the hospital in the middle of the night several times.  I usually go in by ambulance, then get released at 2AM or some other ridiculous time and have to get a taxi home.  Nobody answers the phone at that time of the morning so I just gave up on that.
Sure is a lonely and isolated feeling isn't it?

As for the blood counts and other indicators being off, I would try to get a consult with a hematologist and a good internist.  Perhaps you have several issues going on here, not just the masto.  The question is why your blood counts are jumping around like that.  True, the stress, meds, etc all plays in, but it is possible that there may be other thigns on here that have to be teased out.  Did you, by any chance, have exposure to somebody who was sick? That might make you more prone to have a "blowout" of masto as well.  Or, if you blood sugar was off.  Do the steroids through off your blood sugar?  Have you checked it lately?  They messed up my mom, who is diabetic.

I am coming off my steroids now.  Hope I don't have another blowout as soon as I quit those.

My best advice is to go see a hematologist.  Get your lab results, especially your blood differentials from a few years back so the doc can see what your normal baseline was running.  

FEEL BETTER SOON!!!  Will keep you in my prayers. Wink

-Jilly

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/14/11 at 07:29:22

Hi Ramona Wink

I hope you are recovering .

I ahd some thoughts about your bloods . I agree with Jilly that a heamotologist would be wise Wink

I also think that an endocrinologist may be good as your low thyriod levels and sodium may indicate addisiions . They work together the adrenals and thyroid . A work up for hashimotos thyroiditis , ( low thyroid ) which is an autoimmune condition would explain the thyroid issues . tests - free T3 T4 and thyroid pyroxidase enzymes will show this .
Hashi's happens more commonly in patients with IA than in the general population . This is felt to be due to the increased compliment cascades ( inate immunity ) . Replacement with leveothyroxine will work when thyroid is failing . I will find out the TSH ( free T3 ) level under which treatment is advised.

A 9 am cortisol will establish what your adrenals are doing . They may be switched off at the moment due to the steriods . Then a test at 5mg is advised as the adrenals should be working again at this point .

Addisions ( low ) can be an autoimmune primary disease or secondery to long term steriod use . You pointed out to me that my adrenals are unlikely to be switched off due to steriods as it had not been long enough and Dr Grattan here agreed with you Wink He tested me for autoimmune addisions - adrenal antibodies - which was negative . So I ahve another idiopathic condition Wink
Most ppl have one or the other .

A short snacten test , with ACTH ( synthetic ) will stimulate the adrenals and see what they do ( bloods at 30 min intervals for 2 hrs ) . if you arenals respond , you know they will come back on line in time .

In the meantime , you will need 5-10mg of prednislaone a day . This is equivelent to your natural production . You will also need more 5-10mg in infection / other illness as you will ahve no stress response .You need cortisol dayly and in illness Wink

Low IGG and hashi's and or adrenal insuffiency would explain your infections rate .

Your white cell count indicates an infection , maybe your recurrent UTI or ( I don't know if you ahve had an OGD - oesophegeal , gastric , dueodenal camera ) or have been tested for h pylori . H pylori is known as a risk factor in angiodeama ( Dr Grattan 2005 ) .

Your HB may be due to concentration with plasma loss into the tissues so a repeat will shed light there .

Your total protien and albulmin are not surprising either in the cont
ext of anaphylaxis as these are lost through the porus blood vessels - an effect of histamine in shock . Wether IV albumin would be a useful way forward would be a decision for a heamotologist . Steriods do not work for heridatory angiodeama , so the fact steriod work for you , essensially rules this out . The test is C1 esterase inhibitor , c3 and c4 ( compliments ) . This excludes type 1 and 2 . there is a 3rd oestrogen related type , but it would be expected to improve at menopause . There is an article on it in the mimicing section . I don't think its you Wink I think your low albumin is secondery to your shocks .

I hope this helps Wink many hugs
Jose

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #20 - 05/14/11 at 11:15:12

Thanks to both of you Jilli and Josie, I appreciate hearing your ideas.

Jilli, yep I live in the boonies outside a small town (population 654), so I have to travel to the nearest small town with a hospital for care. There is no taxi between towns Sad Thats why I'll take my own car next time or be stuck.  Besides, my family is now angry that I dare to be upset that no one came for 3 hours. They expect an apology and groveling or refuse to speak to me (except for my son).. It will be a very quiet summer LOL.

Yes, the steriods make my blood sugar jump quite high, I have coverage with regular insulin and Im being careful Smiley I see my Hematologist Monday early.

The good thing is, Ive been going to the same place for most labs so I can compare the results--and most of those abnormals have been at that point or higher since January. The hospital lab is also keeping track for me (Some say, "there is a pattern of")... nice to know.

Hon please make sure you have an emergency amount of steriods on you--just like the epi, just in case. I think it would make you feel better, I know it does me.

Josie, I have been borderline low tsh for years but DRs dont seem to want to try me on synthroid.. I'll see about it again on the next primary DR visit. I do have alot of the symptoms but also, some are not there--but because of other things I have going on (like the tachycardia with masto).

I dont think I have addisons.. but anything is possible, If he wants to test me for it, one test cant hurt. I dont want to stay on cortisone for any longer than neccessary, the side effects are horrendous--but it does save my life when needed.

In the US the standards now are, 5 days or less on cortisone and you dont need to taper off. More than that amount of time and you do. The usual rate is go down 5 mg at a time, stay on that for 3 days, then down again 5 mg, until you are weaned off. Right now Im on day 5 of the shock incident so today is my last day on prednisone--but I have a good emergency stash on me if needed Smiley

Youre right about the low IGG3 and low IGM explaining the re-occuring infections--but nothing to be done about that, just to be aware.. LISA--I did start on the NAC today, I trust your judgement and dont want to take anymore chances.

I also read an excellant article on immune diseases and the importance of zinc in the diet. It seems it has a lot to do with triggering some diseases (and more than that), so.. Im also taking one zinc a day from now on. I have a very strong gut feeling that it will help.

My HGB has been high since last sept.. maybe further back, I dont know. Im not sure what it relates to but I'll find out in time.

I think the low albumin isnt related to my shocks (I showed it low on lab tests during the 3 months with no shocking) and the lab patterns say it seems to be related to some sort of protein disease. I think its the malabsorption syndrome when I am off of prednisone.

Thanks to both of you and LOTS of love ;
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #21 - 05/14/11 at 13:16:48

Hi Joan,

Interesting that mast cells may be associated with fibromyalgia. I work in a doctor's office where we see many people with fibro who actually have some specific cause for their pain and other symptoms, but the doctor who diagnosed them with fibromyalgia just couldn't be bothered to find the cause and treat it. That is why I call it a wastebasket diagnosis, something convenient for certain lazy doctors.

Once those patients come to our practice and have the cause determined, their pain can be treated, and sometimes eliminated. Not everyone, but many. It makes me sad to think about those who just live with their diagnosis, when they could be seeing improvement in their lives.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #22 - 05/14/11 at 13:24:13

Hey Ramona,

I just wanted to add a couple of things...

Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder that gradually destroys your thyroid.  You might go many years with a normal TSH, but eventually it will creep above 3.0 (the normal limit).  When I was diagnosed mine was 44.3... it was very clear that I needed Synthroid!  Your TSH is actually on the low end, which indicates Graves disease (autoimmune hyperthyroidism).  This is treated in a different way from Hashimoto's.  If your TSH is not terribly low and you're not having any dangerous symptoms like anxiety, hypertension, arrhythmia, insomnia, weight loss, etc... then most doctors will just "wait and see."  Otherwise, the treatment is to kill your thyroid with radioactive iodine... or remove it... and then replace the hormones with Synthroid.  I know this is a bit confusing (especially when lay people use words like "low thyroid"), but TSH is what tells your thyroid to produce hormones.  If it's low, then that means either that your pituitary gland is malfunctioning, or your thyroid is working over-time and your pituitary gland doesn't need to provide much additional stimulation.  If your TSH is high, that means your pituitary gland is working hard to stimulate production, because your damaged thyroid can't keep up.  

You're right that malabsorption could explain the abnormal albumin level.  I absorb food a lot better now that I'm on Gastrocrom and a gluten-free diet.  Sorry for the TMI, but my poop always used to float.  Now it doesn't Wink  Poop floats when it's full of undigested fat, which is lighter than water.

Anyway... I wouldn't worry about your adrenal glands at the moment.  Press for answers about your bone marrow and CBC.  I wouldn't even worry too much about your thyroid at the moment, but you might want to see if you can get an appointment with an endocrinologist.  It might take a while... and it would be best if you can find a doctor who works with thyroid and adrenal disorders.  Some focus just on diabetes.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #23 - 05/15/11 at 04:06:26

Hi Ramona,
Just a couple of other thoughts.  Long term steroid use has the potential to cause immunosuppression.  During such times, people can pick up an infection, and be unable to clear it if they were on steroids for awhile.  That might also be a possible consideration as to why your blood counts are a little messed up right now. That high neutrophil count is what caught my eye.  Neutrophils are your first line defender against infection. You might be harboring a buga-a-boo/virus.  

This is so easy to do when the weather is so up and down as it has been and people are getting sick.  I think springtime colds are the worst for this reason! People go out in public, even when they are sick, because the weather is nice and they are tired of being inside, and as a result, spread the germs around more easily.

Also, steroids can mess with your other hormone levels and activity.  They tend to amplfy drug effects too.  Steroids are very powerful medications.  Used for the right purpose at the right time, they can be a life-saver. However, they also have side effects, so they have to be used with caution, monitoring and control if used for longer periods of time.

I think it is a good place to start to see a hematologist.  You can ask as well as to if you should have an endocrine consult.  With your diabetes, it is probably a good thing to do now and then anyway.  I think you need to find a medication regimine that works well for you and will keep things in balance.

A repeat blood analysis, once you are off your steroids for a bit, might give a clearer picture of your natural baseline.  That is what they would want to see, how that has changed.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #24 - 05/17/11 at 03:19:46

Thank you all so much for helping me brainstorm through all this Smiley

Well, yesterday my Hematologist cancelled my appt, His office says his asst was ill and his schedule was too full for it. I have to reschedule sometime soon. I dont see my primary DR until the first week of June.

I do have a lot of the symptoms of Graves disease but I think there are other reasons for those same symptoms, so it isnt diagnostic. I will have those antibody tests done to see where it stands.

Right now my bigger concern is, theyve changed me from Medicaid to a "share of cost" program and I have to submit all medical bills every month. (they didnt tell me this before). I found out as I was picking up my meds at the pharmacy--and they refused to give them to me, pay cash or forget it. The dept pf ed also has garnished my disability check and takes 170.00 monthly out of it--it just started this last month. Seems to be awfully big part of it and Im going to see if it can be lowered.

Im going to the Medicaid office this week to see if I can make some kind of progress.

Im off of prednisone too, 3 days now and keeping my fingers crossed I wont react.

I think I still have the UTI, but it isnt as bad(painful)  as it was before--so Lisa, I think the NAC is helping me Smiley

Love you all BUNCHES!
me

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #25 - 05/19/11 at 18:49:19

Mizz Ramona! You are not going to get that one past us!!! You cannot use your car, you are using the ambulance to get your gluteus to the hospital because you are in anaphalaxis... you cannot drive yourself! For your own safety and the safety of others, it'd be worse that drunk driving and if you crashed they'd have no idea you were in shock!! You will not drive yourself you hear woman!!! The hospital may have some way to get you home!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #26 - 05/21/11 at 04:43:57

LOL Yes Ma'am, Susan. I promise I will be careful. If Im in bad shape, I will NOT drive ok? LOL

Just wanted to let you know I have solved a few issues. I talked with the dept of ed and they didnt know I am totally and permanently disabled--so they are lowing my garnishment to 50$ per month and sending me paperwork to waive it totally, proving I am disabled.

I also went to the Medicaid office, with medical bills in hand, proved I had over 960$ worth of medical bills in the last 30 days and they have approved me for 0 share of cost til November! (whew) I went to the pharmacy and refilled everything immediately.

I will reschedule with my hematologist soon and Im feeling quite pleased with myself Smiley

The family situation is still a bit upsetting. I have 2 sisters, my parents, my daughter and a grandson within half a mile from me, and it just isnt good. Their anger surpasses any concern about me and I havent heard from them in a week ( a long time for my big mouth family LOL).. Im shopping by myself and doing whatever needs to be done without help--but Im doing it. Now Im just concentrating on not feeling anger towards them--letting it all go.. and being with those who truly care--all of you Smiley

My love to ya and Ill be here (online) as long as this laptop doesnt overheat and cut me off! LOL..

Love you
me

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print