Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can you imagine, disaster preparedness theory to discuss....... (Read 3904 times)
Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Can you imagine, disaster preparedness theory to discuss.......
05/19/11 at 18:29:05

So I was out yesterday and went to grab my garden hose and I see movement out of the corner of my eye and it's a rattlesnake......... lucky for me it was cold so it was slow and in the shade so slower yet! I've now told myself to seriously get my ER protocol in order. Can you imagine, how the heck would they treat a mast cell patient with a severe venom bite. They have to start the antivenom, but we'd need immediate bene/epi/prednisone/ then reacting to the venom stuff.... oh geeze, this is my fourth snake this year, I try to be a big girl about it and not freak and embrace the presence of the "good snakes" I live rural and know they need to keep the area clean, but I've not had a rattler on my property ever. This one was young so now I get to wonder about siblings and mama bear, wheres her nest! Smiley
I'd so rather a grizzly bear wander through, they sort of announce themselves!!! Anyway just a thrill thought for fellow masties, we all react to certain insects already but a major injection of nasty venom from some creatures I'd want DR Akin or Castells, Escribano, we need a star trek- communicator pin that we can push in an emergency and the boston mast cell disorder clinic will come right on and talk to the ER docs who do not believe us.  I never thought the body could make such huge goosebumps, when I see a snake my goosebumps get so big it lifts the clothing off of my shirt! I went inside to get my "snake identification book" as I'm looking at the book then looking at the snake I'm shivering, ewwwww they just scare the jeepers out of me! Guess what I had to take extra meds!

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Can you imagine, disaster preparedness theory to discuss.......
Reply #1 - 05/20/11 at 13:19:15

Aw come on now Sandi.  Whatever happened to those old snake bit kits, the once you carry around with the lancet in the little rubber thing, so you can suck out the venom???? Maybe they need to make an epipen attachment to cover that one?  There could be a new patent in your future Sandi!!

Just had to razz you a bit.  Your point is actually very well taken.  I took field biology classes and had to catch snakes all the time many years back, before I even Knew I had this.  It's a miricle I made it!!!!

I got crazy reactive to mosquito bites.  Tis' the season for all the bugs and reptiles to come out.  Can you imagine suffering through a jellyfish sting?? Thank heavens I live near fresh water and don't have to worry about that one!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #2 - 05/20/11 at 14:08:58

Jbean you are funny! I never thought about jellyfish! I just had an appointment with my new allergist today. I forgot to ask about a prescription for an epi pen. My dermatologist said I didn't need one but at the PNW mast meeting I asked a few of the doctors there and the said yes you should have an epi even if your not a shocker because of venomous bites. Does everyone with masto react to things like bee stings? I haven't been stung by a bee since I was a kid.
Melissa

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 05/21/11 at 01:23:31

Ok, since you mentioned jellyfish stings, I have a question I have been pondering. Every July we go to Hilton Head, to a resort right on the beach, Apparently that is jellyfish season. So, can I go in the ocean, or is it unsafe for me? Last year I did go in the ocean a bit but had no problems. Of course, after we observed people getting stung left and right (even my daughter got brushed by a jellyfish I think -- had a tiny sting that had her running out of the ocean for me to see what stung her), then none of us were too keen on going back in the ocean. A local told me that she doesn't go in the ocean during those months because of all the jellyfish.

So, what happens if we get stung? As a shocker, I am guessing I could go into shock? Anyone hear how jellyfish affects us?

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #4 - 05/21/11 at 01:29:22

It depends on the type of jellyfish.  In northeast Australia there's a giant jellyfish called the "box jellyfish" that will kill you before you even get out of the water.  That's how Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin died... and as far as I know, his mast cells were normal.  Thankfully, most jellyfish are not this deadly.

I've never heard of someone with a mast cell disorder getting stung by a jellyfish, but it doesn't sound like a good scenario!  I can imagine the toxins would be a trigger, but then there's also the pain and anxiety... I'd definitely want to have my EpiPens with me.  Gulp.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 05/21/11 at 02:12:03

Actually Heather it was a stingray that got the crocodile hunter, the barb got him in the heart. We do breed some amazing creatures, and the box jelly fish is another, not so much huge, but very long stringy tentacles that can get wrapped around you easily and cause very nasty stings.  They say that if you have your skin covered you are safe e.g. wear a rash vest, or some people wear panty hose(!).

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #6 - 05/21/11 at 02:55:17

You guys opened up a big box of worms!!!

Here, where I live in Brazil I have three major threats, bees, scorpions and SPIDERS.  The spiders that come into my home are the size of my open hand!  The scorpions are not deadly, but they say the sting hurts worse than anything.  The bees and wasps are not the killer bee kind, and we even have some bees without stingers, but I don't care whatever the kind of bug it is, I don't even have a chance to identify whether it's venomous or not, it's dead before I even can identify it!!   I smack it dead as quick as a blink and only question later!   I'd be doing that with those snakes too, Sandi, if I had them hanging about!!   For me there's no nice bug except a dead one!!   Especially those spiders!  When they get THAT big, I'm not asking questions, it's guilty first period!!!

To the very best of my knowledge, each and every kind of venomous creature is going to create havoc with the mast cells!!  Some of us may be more reactive than others, but it's still going to cause a reaction cause our mast cells are only doing their job to defend us.  I've not been stung by a bee for years, but I'm definitely on the defense with them and have stopped taking walks in the woods during the day hours due to them.  I shy away from any place where there might be bees!!

As to mosquitos, I've begun noticing that when I get bit it gives a good sized welt or it makes a real red pinprick of a bite!  Yet, here's another twist that you all may not have thought about......those insects which carry disease - lyme disease, West nile virus, malaria and dengue!

We are having an epidemia of dengue in our region and my dermatologist is absolutely freaked with the idea of my getting it!!  She's an expert in dengue and when I asked her in January how would it be if I were to catch dengue, her eyes bugged out like this Shocked and she said that we'd really have to pray me through it due to all it could do with the masto!!!

So, although we really don't have a means to deal with these kinds of emergencies, prevention is truly the best tactic.  However, if it should happen, you've got to have an understanding for your own self as to what you must do.  I've already told my doctors as to my dermatologist's comments regarding dengue.  This was sufficient for them to be on the ball should I get it.  What would we do?  Immediate hospitalization, with a constant IV and meds to counteract the infection and also an increase of any kind of masto med to help keep me as stable as possible.  Possibly even a stay in the ICU depending upon my stats.   There's not a whole lot that can be done for us in these situations other than what is the standard for other patients.  However, being already forewarned is what they need in order for them to have an idea nad a chance to think it through as to what must be done in case it happens.

So, ,Sandi, I would recommend you speak with your doctors about these snakes and have them do whatever they need to in preparation for the POSSIBILITY of it.  I would also recommend that you be extra extra careful since this is already the 4th this year!

As to the jellyfish, Deb, I would recommend that you change your dates for the beach or you stay out of the water!!  It's like the bees situation, if you know you have a hive nearby why are you going to walk under that tree on purpose - you're just flirting with danger!   So, if you can't change the date this  year, don't risk it and stay out of the water.

Prevention is the best medicine in our cases!!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 05/21/11 at 04:57:37

I have to agree with Lisa on this--everything Ive read said we shouldnt put ourselves in the situation to get stung by anything--since they really dont know how we will react, especially with our bad little mast cells reacting.

That rattlesnake?? Have someone come clear brush away from your house--as far as possible--and any wood on the ground. They dont go places where they dont have cover to hide. I live in the boonies and actually Im not scared of rattlesnakes anymore--why? because they dont act aggresive unless they think they are trapped with no way out.. if you stand and watch them (from a safe distance) they will aways run (slither) away as quick as they can. Other snakes worry me--moccasins--they are very aggresive and territorial like dogs.

My biggest worry this summer is... 1) scorpions--they arent deadly here BUT Ive already been stung twice before and I totally think it will put me into shock if I do. My other concernis 2) Mosquiitos (LOL) I know it sounds funny but they target you and too many bites and who knows how i would react now.. so I make sure ALL standing water in my yard is gone! Helps Smiley

Lisa, you be careful with that dengue fever around, no crowds you hear??
I also think that the point about cortisone is VERY important. ANY reaction we have, the first thing ER medical staff needs to do is IV SoluMedrol (besides epi). That helps stop reactions so quickly--or at the very least it makes any reaction a lesser one and quicker to get over.

Love to all
me

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #8 - 05/21/11 at 07:26:45

Okay, so I will simply stay out of the ocean. Not that big of a deal for me. Our resort, which is on the beach,  is beautiful and we spend most of our time in one of the pools. It is our favorite time of year to go because it is over July 4th, so we always go down to the beach to watch the fireworks. It is very fun. You would think I was crazy for going then, as it is in the 90s to 100 degrees in July! Haa. I am good at sitting at the pool in a shaded spot, though, and having nice cold drinks  all day.

Now my worry will be about the kids going in the ocean. I know to carry vinegar in a sorry bottle for instant relief of jellyfish stings on the rest of the family!  I, by the way, will be under a lovely UV protected sun tent reading my magazines while on the beach with the kids. No sun for me if I am not in the water to get cool!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 05/21/11 at 07:38:03

Lisa is right about ticks that carry Lyme disease, but also Bartonella, Ehrlichia, Rickettsia, and several strains of Babesia, not to mention Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Tick Paralysis. Any of these can cause a severe acute illness that could push on all your triggers, plus the possibility of a longer term, chronic infection.

That is what got me, and I went undiagnosed for 11 years, so the infections got fully settled into my body, and now they don't expect them to ever be fully gone, unless a new treatment comes along.

So watch out for ticks! The worst, most infective ones are only the size of a period at the end of a sentence, so many people don't even see them when they are bitten.

Last year West Nile became problematic  here. I used to not be worried about insects at all, but now, between Lyme disease, and some bad reactions to bee stings, I am super careful. It makes me sad to not be able to go hiking off into the woods any more, but there is no way I am willing to risk a repeat of the years before I was treated.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 05/21/11 at 14:58:19

We live in a tropical climate with dengue fever (it is spread by mosquitoes, like malaria, so not airborne from person to person). The government here are very proactive and have for a long time had a program to keep the mosquito population down, like inspections and fines for having standing water on your property, weekly fogging with insecticides, (which I am not thrilled about from the point of view of chemical exposure, but it probably beats malaria or dengue fever).  Cameron seems to be a mosquito magnet, and reacts with huge welts when he is bitten, although antihistamines seem to reduce the reaction.  We have every mosquito repellent product known to man here, the ones I like are the wrist/ankle band which can be worn all the time, and the patches you can stick on clothes, bedding, backpack etc.  I don't know how effective they are compared to other products, but you can avoid or minimise products applied to the skin.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #11 - 05/21/11 at 17:50:23

Repellents all give off fumes that can trigger some people, so be careful what you use, and try them beforehand if you're planning on going anywhere remote.  If they're pesticides, look at the warnings regarding asthmatics.

There are some foods to avoid that, when eaten, cause mosquitos to be attracted to the person who ate them.  Bananas are one, but Google will know the others.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print