Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Vaginal Mast Cell problem??? (Read 47707 times)
Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Vaginal Mast Cell problem???
Reply #30 - 03/06/11 at 03:19:36

Heather, you're so right!   I wasn't talking about biopsies as far as diagnosing a mast cell disease goes, but that of biopsies to see what is going on in there.   When a patient is in the diagnostic stage of the disease, you're right only those two areas are useful for diagnostic purposes - skin and bone marrow.  This is because, according to Dr. Castells, there are not enough doctors doing biopsies in other tissues in order to find out what is considered as too many mast cells.   So this is why those two tissues are the only ones that they can really go by.  Intestinal tissues are becoming more and more biopsied and thereby more reliable to know what may consist as to mastocytosis of the intestine and the bladder follows, but none of the other tissues.   My cervix showed 110 x to the field but she was looking for 115 x to the field to consider it mastocytosis and so I came up short with that.  But it still would not have been considered "diagnostic" of mastocytosis and instead just another finding.    However, the biospy that I'm referring to here is that of trying to identify the cellular activity that may be involved and gaining an overall picture of the patient's disease.  Pieces to the puzzle.    So, when the doctors are considering this aspect of our disease, then yes, any and all biopsies are indeed helpful for they give the doctors an overview of how the disease is affecting our bodies and what it's doing.   This is how we know that I'm not only autoimmune but also autoinflammatory.  By already knowing this, we are able to presume as to this situation going on in my lungs that this is the masto which has been triggered in me and that these nodules that have appeared as of my open heart surgery are indeed some kind of autoinflammatory growth caused by this form of my masto.  So all of the different biopsies that have gone on in my case, the fact that any tissue that has been taken with surgery has been run through the immunohistochemical testing, this has given my doctors an overall view of my form of this mast cell disorder and although we don't understand, it, we have better understanding of my body and what is going on with it.  

So, yes, Heather, you are 100% correct, only those tissues are diagnostic.  But it's the overall picture that also is important and biopsies and proper testing are the only way to find out what that is.

I can only add to this that I sure do wish it were a lot easier!!   I'm scheduled for yet another colonoscope and a new search for those intestinal mast cells!  We've also got to see what's going on within my lungs now, and the testing that's going on with my aorta tissues is rocking the medical boat because I have ended up with a the C-Kit result coming back as negative on my mast cells within the aorta tissues and that's highly abnormal!  Mast cells are supposed to be positive for C-kit in mastocytosis, not negative and what it all means is now being questioned!!  And why has it been seen as negative in my aorta tissues of all places, especially when they've shown positive in all of my other tissues?!!!  

So, here we go again with LISAZILLA rocking the medical world's boat with weird findings!!!   Boy does this get OLD!   Sad

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #31 - 03/06/11 at 03:40:36

Gibby- Thats for suggesting the GSE! I never thought of that, I have some in my cupboard. We take in during flu season.
Melissa

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #32 - 03/06/11 at 04:06:52

Ramona, you are too humble. Did you all know that Ramona is a nurse as well? Lisa is practically overflowing with medical knowledge, enough to have an MD. Heather is our college professor who is definitely an expert on not just Masto, but the autoimmune aspect of it. And the list goes on. I could go on and on about many others here who are equally valuable in both knowledge and compassion. Thank you all for chiming in here to help Gibby! You are a great community!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 03/06/11 at 04:34:44

Hi Deb , Lisa , ramona and everyone Smiley

Deb , thanks , yes we are a strong group , and you at the helm is invaluable Smiley I hope the finals you are at are going well Smiley

Lisa , thankyou . I wrote to Dr grattan , asking exactly that . I ahve an appt with him in July and he has not moved my next appointment with him forward Sad I am busy collating info , and I am going to push for a sooner appointment as soon as I have everything together . i saw the underling not the boss , so I am going to give the boss a chance . Smiley
Thanks for bringing me back to what i do know Smiley i did elude to it - i itch in reactions , but didnt make it clear Smiley  The doc last week rocked me a bit as he was not taking my angiodeama seriously . " you may ahve a slightly swollen tounge and erethemous rash " so me collating is vital . i should be sorted by the middle of this week .

I know he didnt know what he was talking about Sad but Im going into spring and am scared . i have 2 new drugs so hope they will help . but the last 2 springs have been so bad  , 5  ( 2009 )and 6 ( 2010 ) trips to ED with Epi pen level reactions in march and april each year .

Ive also got swollen lymph nodes which i am on antibitics for as i ahve symptoms of infection .

Infection just raises my risk Sad Just hoped for help before the spring .

I had brain fog and flushing last night ?? Dust as my partner was doing some sorting out . Im settled now .

Im ready to travel , but dont think I would cope with it ??????? Sad

Ramona , yes , you are a nurse too Smiley I didn't think for a second you were teaching me to suck eggs , all info on here needs to be complete and clearly expalined Smiley  I am going to raise the question of is this related ?? I saw a female doctor with yrs of experience about the lump last tuesday evening . She was asking why hereslf ?? I had attributed it to my lymph nodes mopping up so much fluid . My neck ones arent up , but i feel my groin ones may be as my womb is riding low , not a full prolapse , but low . This only normally happens when I am due my period . My legs are continually swollen now . Not to a painful level as they were . but always up .

Excercise will make me swell as will straining

My fingers have been tingling and my right arm is larger than my left so i am suspecting fluid build up . My pulses are ok , so no block in blood supply Smiley  Ill re visit my GP this week if it doesnt go down . here we have open access to a doctor in the community 24/7 . ED if we need it . the GP holds the financial pot for other referals . There is also a private referal system .

Gp's run in packs . So i try to see one , but in emergency appts I will see whoever is available . the one I saw for the emergency ( lump getting bigger despite broad spectrum antibiotics ( flucloxicillin ) was a long experienced lady who is thinking outside the box Smiley so ill try and get her again Smiley

Love to all
Jose

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #34 - 03/06/11 at 04:50:51

Josie,
Im so sorry Hon, I dont want you to be scared going into spring. We've all been there done that, no fun. I forget--can you take Vistaril?? It has been soo good for me, that and Singular and Chlotrimeton. (I know rou call them by different names in England).

If youre reacting that often, time to increase something and I dont think you should wait til your appt.. I dont want you taking any trips to the ER before than possible...Hon, you know youre body, smack that flush down LOL.. throw a pill at it!!

Do you have an emergency dose of prednisone ready IF you should need it?? It helps me to pat my purse and know it wont be a severe reaction if I need it. Security LOL.. Hey it helps... my energy level is suddenly going up and Im feeling WONDERFUL.. 4 shopping trips last week woohoo.. I wouldnt leave home before Smiley Now I had my hair done and took my daughter out for dinner! Thats what I want for you Josie.. the feeling that YOU are controlling it and no fear..
love ya Hon
me

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 03/06/11 at 05:02:14

Hi Ramona ,

Thanks chick . i did . I had extra ranitidine and piriton . It did the trick Smiley i had benadryl as well but i saw that again Sad

Ill see if I can have hyroxidine in liquid .My pharmacist is fabulous . im going to ask about nasalcrom as well . As its available on prescription as is the eye drops so we could trial the drug that way  ( hopefully )  The doc tuesday said he saw no reason why not , for hydoxizine ( vistril ) even though he hadn't heard of brain fog ??????? His letter will hopefully reach my GP this week and I can have it Smiley

He didnt like nalcrom ???? but Dr Grattan suggested it so I may bebale to convince my GP to trial it .  

Ive got my prednisalone firmly by my side Smiley i am luckily 2 miles from an ambulance station and 3 from ED so with my epi pen I know ill be ok . I just dont want to have to go through it again . i dont want worry to make it happen so distracting myself as much as poss .

Im sooooo pleased you are getting out Smiley  I manged 2 weeks on the trott . Roll on may / june when the grass pollen season ends Smiley

many hugs
Jose

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #36 - 03/06/11 at 05:10:47

Josie, another thought.. mine lump in the axilla was getting bigger and so painful.. I also believe it was obstructing blood flow to a degree--how are your fingers and thumb on that right hand feeling?? I took a course of prednisone and it helped force it to receed...Now Im almost off it and the swelling is still there but at a much lesser level and the feeling in my arm is so much better. I also used a castor oil pack (externally) with a heating pad set on low for that lymph area, then I elevated it and I think that helped too...so far so good..

I know its related to the masto, but honestly I dont remember the mechanics of it--but Heather does! Smiley  We could use an explanation dont you think?? LOL... Ohh Heather!!
Love ya
Ramona

PS Josie, email me, I have that article about how Vistail helps brain fog, pint it out and bring it to the doc.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #37 - 03/06/11 at 05:25:30

PS... I am also battling that swelling in the legs.. Im wondering if it is related to high prostaglandins?? I react to aspirin and that is usual treatment, so I used lasix with potassium x5 days and its fine now.. Im just wondering again... Heather can you tell us if swelling in the legs is related to Prostaglandin levels?
Thank you O wise one lol
me

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 03/06/11 at 05:53:24

Hiya ramona ,

Thanks I will Smiley Id love lasix ( fave frusomide) but thats my inner cardiology nurse with potassium . Ive tried convincing my docs to prescribe it  , but they wont . I know not all my weight is fluid but a large amount is . So it would help with that as well .

I am doubling my ranitidine for now . I have some scope in available doses to ahve xtra singulair if I need it Smiley

I asked a cardio question of the new doc . I think ill persue it with my GP . As my echo , december 09 showed an enlarged septum and I think a further echo would be wise . I will discuss lasix with my fave cardiologist . hes called Dr papouchado , Dr P to his nurses . he is amazing and will think outside the box .

My fingers are just tingling , no numbness or pain in my fingers . My perfusion is ok , capillary refill good . The fluid build up is noticable in my upper arm with extra ripples and pain . I am taking paracetamol ( tylenol ) and its helping . I dont know if that would be safe as it is a salicilate . But it figures if it is prostaglandins , that paracetamol helps .
Maybe the cold hands are not infection but reduced perfusion ??? This happens when the paracetamol wears off . i am often vomiting at this point . ??? smooth muscule spams ??? from prostoglandins ???

I evlevate it at night xxxx ill try a gentle heat pack .

Its too sore for a bra side pressing there at the moment . I need a soft bra for when this happens , as its the wire that is bothersome .

I had a soak in the bath this morning it was lovely . the carer helped me in and then a good half hour later my partner helped me out / dressed etc .  

I only have problems with my feet when my sugar is high. This is apin in my toes and a burning sensation on my soles , esp if my feet are cold . In this situation i dont feel cold , just burning . when my sugar is ok . I have no pain in my feet .

My bone , muscle and joint pain is not changed by my blood glucose level .
hugs
Jose

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #39 - 03/06/11 at 06:00:31

Oh boy... you want me to explain about the lymph nodes and peripheral edema??  Sheesh!  (j/k Wink )

There are basically three things than can cause swollen lymph nodes:

1. Infection
2. Neoplasms
3. Autoimmune disorders

Infections will cause rapid swelling (which is painful) and an equally rapid decrease in swelling.  It usually lasts no more than a few weeks and goes away with a good round of antibiotics.

Aggressive SM can invade the lymph nodes... not very common, but true.  Lymphoma is a fairly common cause of swollen lymph nodes that do not hurt and do not respond to antibiotics.  It's more common after age 50.  (Not that younger people can't get it... it's just less likely.)  It's also common for other advanced cancers to metastasize to the lymph nodes... they're little filters, so they catch everything unusual circulating through your bloodstream.

The reason lymph nodes swell with autoimmune disorders is because that's where your B cell lymphocytes are found.  Chronic, out-of-control B cell antibody production = swollen lymph nodes that don't respond to antibiotics.  

Keep in mind that it's absolutely possible to have a malignancy or an autoimmune disorder in addition to a mast cell disorder!  It doesn't mean the two are related... although sometimes they are.

Peripheral edema occurs for so many reasons.  One common reason people have swelling in their ankles (and sometimes lower legs) is because their heart is failing... and it's not able to keep all the fluid circulating normally through the body, so it settles to to the bottom.  With systemic autoimmune disorders you sometimes get peripheral edema because of the kidney damage and/or blood vessel damage.  Ehlers-Danlos and POTS are other disorders where the blood vessels are too leaky... gravity can easily pull excess fluid into your ankles and lower legs instead of the rest of your body where it belongs.

So basically... anything damaging your heart, kidneys, and/or blood vessels can cause peripheral edema.  It's something doctors should always pay attention to.  The cause, however, is more difficult to determine... so you can imagine how many people fall through the cracks when it comes to this symptom.

Heather

ps - Prostaglandins are associated with pain and flushing, not swelling Smiley

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #40 - 03/06/11 at 06:18:22

Woohoo, Josie you already sound better to me!! You go girl... that masto takes orders from YOU not vice versa Smiley

Heather what would I do without you? lol.. I know my heart function output is good, they tested it with the last shock lol.. probably the kidneys, you know my IC.. it was under control too til the last shock--but its getting much better now that Ive added some meds!
Thanks Hon, you make it so much easier for all of us!
love you,
me

IP Logged

gibby
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #41 - 03/06/11 at 07:01:08

Lisa, I didn't say that a person said it was a reaction to candida.  What I said was after you've had an infection in that area, it's gone, the area is sensitive to everything. It is a syndrome that is outlined in the book The yeast Syndrome by John Parks Trowbridge.
The candida infection is gone as far as we know.  I saw my gyno every 2 weeks to check.  We hadn't seen yeast in 2 visits, so now, it's wait 6 weeks.  (about 2 more weeks for my visit now)   If I had a candida allergy, I would have been tested postive.  Then, I'd probably get the shots for desenziation.  Won't work in my case.  I was negative 3 times.
   It was a tough infection to beat.  I think it was because I battled it for so long, but never got it totally.  I may have had a protozoa infection as well.  Still trying to work that out.   That is a whole other story.  Infectious Disease doctor didn't think I should treat it as we all have bacterias in our gut....blah blah blah......he was impressed with my testing though, (metametrix GI effects)  but said they'd find stuff in him too if he got the same test.   I had rectal itching, and 2 years ago when this whole thing started, a GI doctor treated me for pinworms.  Medication never really helped.  When I told the Infectious disease doctor that, he was very upset that I was never officially diagnosed.  I also had a hemoiroidectomy, 14 years ago, and anal fissure that he said would cause itch like sensations......to make a very long story short here, I treated myself with strong parasitic herbs, and colon cleanses for months and months trying to clean out my system and get rid of any parasites.  I didn't listen to the doctors....I still am unsure, and other doctors thought it was yeast in the gut all along.....toxins through the skin causing itch.......my point is that I was always scared that parasites were the cause of the yeast.  The parasite forums told me that.  made a lot of sense.  yeast/parasites go hand in hand.  Do the doctors agree with that?  Of course not! Doctors do not treat parasites.  They leave patients to figure it out themselves because the tests always come out negative.    I was never tested postive for any parasites despite many samples.....the only diagnosis, PPTU  Parasite presnet, taxonomy unknown.  Now? still occasional rectal itch.  I can live with it, as long as it's not causing the yeast.  That I will never know.   I don't want to get into all that with you guys, that's for another forum, but just thought I'd tell you why my case has been so hard to treat.  Most people have no idea of why yeast is so hard to treat.  They don't understand and think, that you just take 1 pill, and gone.  or you do one yogurt or garlic treatment, and gone.  Well, not so with me.  Wish it were that simple.  
Anyway, back to the yeast stuff  - Dr. Crandell said it goes intercellular, in a dormant stage.  Under the skins.  It takes long term antifungals to treat which is what I have done.  I had also said I was tested for all everything, infections, std's, bacterias, Aids, diabetes, full blood work.  All normal.  
Lisa, was it "Desquamative Vaginitus"  ?   Probably not. Doctors don't know much about this, but it can come after yeast.. I was diagnosed with that many months ago, and all it means is a shedding ot the lining.....dead cells....can cause itch and at the time, I did have some discharge.  This was my old gyno.  he just gave me hydrocortezone suppositorys and sent me on my way.   Itch just persisted.......that was before, I finally found a new gyno to help me.  Just don't know if she's going to help me any more with this.  I'll ask her if it could be what you say, and if she says no, then, don't know....maybe another biopsy.  But the pathologist and derm told me, you biopsy an area that has something to see...not normal skin.  Your just reaching for a needle in a haystack.
   Also, Lisa, are you talking about Cycolitic Vaginitus?  This is treated the same way, with sodium bicarbonate - baking soda.  This is from to much lactobicillus in there.  You get an infection that mimics yeast but it is NOT.   I definatley did not have this because I asked her already.  ladies, don't insert probiotics up there!  This can happen, and it's not been ever proven.  I asked Dr. Crandell about it, and she writes about it in her packet!!!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #42 - 03/06/11 at 10:46:53

My doctor replied!   Oh how I appreciate my doctors for they're truly terrific!   He told me that it's the cytolytic vaginosis.   This is what was caused by the candida and after we got rid of the candida this is what it had caused and then this is what had to be treated.   What happens is way too often we patients think we know our bodies but there are times when even we are fooled for this truly felt like it was the very same thing as the candida only I didn't have the same amount of secretion going on.  And since my doctor had never treated this before, he didn't recognize it either.  It's rare.  But it was only after he began to realize that what he was treating was not responding to his treatment that he began to take the right attitude towards attacking it and then his treatments got more specific and he began taking the necessary cultures to rule out and rule in the appropriate things.   This is why I insist that those women who bounce around from one doctor to another often cheat their doctors of the opportunity of finding the answers, but also those women who insist on home remedies may be only causing more harm than good for they're not on their own able to do the appropriate testing to see exactly what is going on in there.

Now, Gibby, as far as your Dr. Crandall is concerned and her understanding of your situation, all that I can suggest is that you should ask her to speak with Dr. Mariana Castells at Harvard for Dr. Castells is an authority in mast cell disorders.  

you see, Gibby, we can all go round and round debating these things but we are all patients and even though some of us have had to study our cases as though we are doctors, the fact still remains that we are none of us doctors.  A mast cell disorder, Gibby is a systemic disease, it is not limited to a specific region although it can affect one region more than another.  It's a blood disorder and this is why it affects the entire body and not just the skin or the intestines.  It's a problem with the mast cells themselves and they are throughout the entire body and this is why we patients will tell you, if you aren't reacting in other places, then this vaginal issue is not a mast cell disorder.  Could your mast cells be reacting vaginally, sure, why not?!  They're designed to do just that!   If you get a bee sting doesn't it turn that area red and itchy?  yes, and those are your mast cells which have caused that localized reacting.  The runny nose you get from a cold, the stuffy sinuses, and fever with a flu, this is all mast cell mediated.  But does this mean that you have a mast cell disorder, NO!  What you have are normal mast cells reacting and doing their job and function on a normal basis.  

A mast cell disorder, however is a very severe disease which causes life threatening reactions to many of the patients who have it and it's SYSTEMIC.  It causes reactions in the entire intestinal region, the entire respiratory system, the cardiovascular regions, the skin etc.  This is because our entire system of mast cells have gone crazy and are genetically defective in some form.  It's very rarely that we have only a regional situation going on and it's never that only one region is always affected.  It's always several things going on at once even though one area may be more consistently affected than another.  This is what a mast cell disorder does.  What your doctor is telling you about is normal mast cells and them doing their job in a specific region.  Count yourself very fortunate that they are indeed doing their work even though you're being tortured.  The mast cells there are not the problem but the root of the problem is the infection or whatever is upsetting your mast cells in that area.  

If you doctor continues to insist that there is something wrong with your mast cells then she needs to speak with Dr. Castells at Harvard.  We can give you her contact information if you want.  But for your doctor to put you through the rigors of a mast cell investigation without any basis of other symptoms showing themselves other than this regional symptoms then she's putting you through very unnecessary testing and even risky procedures for we patient have to go through bone marrow biopsies and endocscopes and colonoscopes and various other invasive procedures and scans that are expensive and exhausting!   Your doctor must have more than just a pesky vaginal infection to seriously suspect mastocytosis!!  

If you wish, I"m sure you could write to Dr Castells yourself and ask her opinion as to this situation, but most doctors like to only speak with other doctors and you may not get a reply.  

But please be at peace, from what you are describing, you don't have a mast cell disorder and are fortunate that it's only a stupid vaginal infection, as tedious and disturbing as it is.  Believe me, I sympathize with the torture it puts you through for I too had to bear it out for 2 full years until my doctor was finally able to rid me of it!  But since I've been through this and have this experience in working with him, and I also know the before masto and after masto changes I can assure you that there is no such thing as a mast cell vaginal disorder.  There is only a mast cell disorder and it's fully systemic and never just local within those tissues.  Even those patients who have the mastoctosis localized to their skin lesions eventually go systemic because the mast cell is created within the bone marrow, the spleen and the liver and from there they go into the various tissues.  You can not and will not have an isolated situation of only that one area being affected.  Although there are cases of increased numbers of mast cells in other diseases and conditions, those mast cells are ALWAYS NORMAL in their morphology, they are never defective.  They will migrate to areas which are being bombarded by some kind of infection or bacteria, for this is their normal role, and once that need has passed, they disappear again.  So, although you may have an increase and they may be active, it's not they which are the problem here, but something else which has called them into action.  

I hope this isn't too confusing for you, for it's really a rather complex science to understand.  As Dr. Castells has told me, very few doctors really understand the mast cell and it's function and my experience has seen this to be truth!

I hope this helps

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 03/06/11 at 11:03:47

Hi heather ,

Thank you Smiley It has helped clarify things for me as well Smiley

Ramona , yeah , I have found ways to encourage the histamine and swelling to behave Smiley I don't count my chickens tho ........................ It has the ability to surprise me . Its my naughty monkey . Just because I can see what its hands and feet are doing I need to be aware of what trouble the tail is causing Smiley just my way of understanding things  Smiley

I have an epi pen within reach at all times , lounge , bathroom , bedroom and handbag .

I am carciniod negative , so I know the epi pen is ok to have Smiley

Gibby , I wanted to ask other than this very distressing problem for you do you ahve any other problems in any other areas of your body ?? hugs Josie

IP Logged

gibby
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #44 - 03/06/11 at 11:19:50

Josie, read my post, it's #41.  I am describing another problem I have.  It's complicated.
 Thanks Lisa, I understand what your saying.  I am hoping that since I am rid of the yeast, and hoping it can stay away, then this problem will eventually fade away.  In the meantime, I have my antihistamines, and I'm on the lookout of trigger foods.  I also have my special cromylyn and astroglide mixture for topical use when I really need it.
  ugggg, so it was the cycloitic vaginosis. Did you read my previous post?   I thought so!!! I knew of it when you said baking soda douche.  I had already asked my doctor if I had this weeks ago.  She said NO.  Oh well, so much for the easy cure!  But I'm glad that you solved your problem!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print