Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Vaginal Mast Cell problem??? (Read 47703 times)
gibby
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Vaginal Mast Cell problem???
03/05/11 at 00:39:37

Hi, I think I have a very unique problem although I did read on the past forum
there were some other women that had this.
  I have had a wicked vaginal yeast infection that lasted for months on end.  
I had to take daily anti fungals for 3+ months, and was tested for everything in
the book.  All was normal but still left with a vaginal itch!!!  I had biopsies,
cultures, and talked to dermatologists, infectious disease doctor, but all
boiled down to nothing.   Very very confusing to sort it all out!!!! Out of
process of elimination to all factors, it it was determined that it was not a
direct allergy, but more of a hypersensitivity reaction.  I met someone who said
I could have a mast cell issue in that area.  I noticed that when I took zyrtec,
symptoms completely went away.  Adding Zantac to the mix, to hit the 3 histamines
was really good!!  But, I was then told to not keep taking Zantac because it's
bad for stomach and starts a domino effect in the body with bad things.  So, I
only take when I have to.  I'll take the zyrtec on days that I work.  Also, a
friend suggested I use cromylyn which is a mast cell inhibitor.  I can't get a
doctor to prescribe it, and so I just bought nasalcrom and use 4 squirts in a
natural lubricant to apply when it itches.  It helps a lot.  Has anyone out there
had this type of problem?

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Vaginal Mast Cell problem???
Reply #1 - 03/05/11 at 02:42:20

I questioned my doctor, Dr. Akin, one of the leading researchers about zantac and my other meds causing longterm problems. He said that there were no problems at all longterm.

I think I have taken zantac, zyrtec, and allegra for about 7 years now. I have no side effects and do great. Now, I do notice that if I am late on taking my zantac in the afternoon (I typically take it at 4:00), I actually remember to take it because I will start feeling a bit of hearburn. The interesting thing about that is that I NEVER had heartburn before I began taking zantac! I don't take it for heartburn, of course; I tale it to control my mast cells due to terrible GI problems (abdominal pain, diarrhea). The zantac eliminates those symptoms for me. So, that is the only thing I have noticed about zantac.

Like you, I dislike the idea of meds, but if they are fixing a malfunctioning problem in my body, then it normalizes me. So, they are necessary in that respect. I do take as few as possible and control my symptoms through high avoidance of triggers.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 03/05/11 at 02:43:31

Forgot to mention: Singulair is very effective for itch control with mast cells! It is amazing how much that helps. You should definitely ask your doc to try you on this. 10 mg once a day should do it!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #3 - 03/05/11 at 03:40:10

Oh the itches in the not so nice area. Lol! I went through the same as you, all the tests and even no yeast infections. As soon as I elimanated my trigger foods which are most eggs, gluten, soy and dairy. It stopped! Those food seem to give many people problems.
Also if you every get rectal itching, a couple of my doctors including the gastro doc said there are certain foods that has some kind of substance than does cause rectal itching.....tomatoes,wine,beer,tea,and chocolate. I'm finding chocolate is a big one. Hope that helps.
Melissa

IP Logged

gibby
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 03/05/11 at 04:55:54

I was tested by my naturopathic doctor who said to eliminate wheat, dairy, tomatoes.  Those were the biggies to eliminate now.  All are just sensitivities, I have no IGG's.  But still diet has not made any difference.  I have been off these for about 2 months now.  Gluten was ok, just not the wheat.  My question is even if they are not sensitivities or allergys, they could still cause itching?

IP Logged

gibby
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 03/05/11 at 05:00:10

Thank you all for your replies on this.  Getting back to the meds, I was told by someone that the antihistimines will NOT last forever as far as their effectiveness.  Anotherwords, they will eventually stop working.  That is why this person suggested I used Cromylyn because it's a mast cell inhibitor and will keep working.  She helped me to make a solution to apply there, using Nasalcrom, 4 squirts to 1 tsp. of a sensitive forumula lubricant.  It seems to help but wish i could make an ointment eventually. I'd need a compounding pharmacy to do it, but I really don't know if it's safe to use in the vulva area!  My gyno will think I'm nuts!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #6 - 03/05/11 at 05:41:26

Quote:
I was then told to not keep taking Zantac because it's
bad for stomach and starts a domino effect in the body with bad things.

This is soooooo incorrect!!! Most of us take Zantac 300 mg twice a day and it has helped me so much!! It not only helps your tummy it is also an antihistamine, so YOU know your body and how YOU feel.. if it helps, take it!!
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

gibby
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 03/05/11 at 05:46:04

My doctor told me that zantac depletes mineral absorbtion which eventually can lead to bone issues like osteopia/ osteoporosis...

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 03/05/11 at 06:21:58

Gibby there is a total different mindset to battling a mast cell disorder and someone with common allergies. They are not one of the same although the symptoms and treatments can be common. The person who told you I was told by someone that the antihistamines will NOT last forever as far as their effectiveness.  Anotherwords, they will eventually stop working.
My guess is that "knowledge" came from a person that does not understand mast cell activation disorders at all.

Avoiding,skipping and not taking antihistimines/ mast cell stabilizers has had pretty serious consequences for me. My body is ravaged from not being on antihistimines and trying everything the natural world had to offer. For years on end.  

If you do have a mast cell disorder I beg you to really look up all the info on how it works, you are absolutely correct that any mast cell stabilizer is great as long as it is tolerated. I have yet to hear of a person solely on them to treat Masto or IA?  I use a lot from the homeopathic/ alternative world and there is a lot that I should not have went through that those physicians are not "ears open" to recognize as true disease that needed to be addressed rather than treatable intolerance. You can be totally allergic to something and test negative to it ( renowned allergist comments and that is well known, there are positive negatives and negative positives, and the tests are not at all 100 percent accurate, they also do not test many of the foods people are exposed to) Allergy testing  is to be used as a starting point.
Now on to triggering which is a mast cell issue, Lets say I'm out in the garden, I start to feel woozy, ears start ringing, I flush, something in my environment has triggered my mast cells to release their contents and I am now getting sick quickly. It can be something in the air I smell, don't smell, something I ate, or something in my body like hormones. Many times a lot of us can figure out our triggers/clues and many times cannot. We learn eventually to first respond to the symptoms those are real and immediate and will show us who's boss quite quickly if we chose not to take action.
Oh geeze I wanted to initially comment on your "itch" issue. Yes yes yes, I struggle there also, its horrible, I itch so intensely and deep inside I want to go crazy. It drives me the most insane at night.  Like with Missybean I had much relief when getting rid of food triggers. Now I tested negative to sunflower with my homeopath, negative with blood. I was ingesting it as sunflower oil in several products and also it was in my natural lotion........ Well latest allergist ( now over 20 years I've had tons of allergy tests) this one did a skin test ( I had refused skin tests for 20 years because of a horrible reaction in an allergists office when they had gotten to the third item) anyway mega positive off the charts for sunflower.  Being in the homeopathic world for a long time I was already on a serious elimination diet, fully aware of ingredients, etc but this one was in there because I thought it was safe, it's even in toms toothpaste! When I got rid of that, a lot of my "internal itching" stopped. Along with a final regular routine of antihistamines. Ironically it just started recently again, about time for that time of the month, also spring allergies will bring on many of my symptoms,  I can pretty much promise you if you have a mast cell disorder and you do not get the masties under control you will have long term medical problems from a body ravaged by continuous mast cell degranulation.  
You being very educated on you and the world of mast cell disorders is the true way to conquering this, you can learn to balance both worlds to get yourself to a healthier place. On having a mast cell disorder I've  become an expert on Sandi with a mast cell disorder, I  can help gibby with her mast cell disorder but in the end you have to refine your treatment to you.  Let's say My allergist says you can eat cantelope you tested negative to it, I take three bites my lips swell larger than angelina jolie's, my tongue breaks out my mouth and throat are itchy. Well I tested negative to it this can't be happening..... well it is and it's time for some benadryl or I will be in the ER next........ Smiley So should I eat another cantelope because the doctor said I could because his test said I could?  
Oh another prob with allergy tests is they only test the food protein, there are tons of enzymes etc in a food to react to and the test will show none of that. Also there are many varieties of that food also, I can have a plain ole Idaho potato, but any "butter variety" forget it!!!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #9 - 03/05/11 at 06:47:16

Gibby, it might have been the naturopath that told you to not take the zantac. I had one tell me that too. I hate that I have to take all these meds. I'd rather pop some vitamins instead. Some alternative docs will tell you that the heartburn is caused by to little acid rather than too much and by taking HCI tablets it will correct it and you won't have heartburn anymore. Maybe that might work for some, but I think for masto patients it's the histamine that produces that excess stomach acid so taking H1's and H2's helps with that. The zantac  works really well for a lot of us for flushing and itching as well as tummy problems. I can totally eliminate my reflux with diet and by drinking aloe vera juice several times a day, but the zantac really helps my itching so I take it.
I definitely think there is a place for both western and eastern medicine but just make sure before you close the door totally on taking some more meds, do your research and talk to someone who really knows a lot about mastocytosis.
Melissa

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #10 - 03/05/11 at 06:52:43

gibby wrote on 03/05/11 at 05:46:04:
My doctor told me that zantac depletes mineral absorbtion which eventually can lead to bone issues like osteopia/ osteoporosis...

Histamine is what tells your stomach to produce acid.  So... an important effect of taking Zantac (and other H2 antihistamines) is that they reduce stomach acid.  In a normal person, this might very well decrease mineral absorption over the long run, leading to osteopenia or even osteoporosis.  BUT... if you're already making waaaaay too much stomach acid (because you have something like a mast cell disorder, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, GERD, etc...), then by taking Zantac you're just dialing the acid level back down to a normal level, not a sub-normal level.  You'll still have enough acid to absorb calcium and other minerals.  See the difference?

For a person with a mast cell disorder, the greater danger is in NOT taking daily antihistamines... prevention of symptoms is the key.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

gibby
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 03/05/11 at 06:52:56

Thanks Sandi,
  I just don't know where to start with this stuff.  How great would it be to find out the magic food or ingredient that could set me off?  Listen, this whole thing started out as yeast.  Horrible yeast that would not let up.  I am left with a vaginal itch that is still there.  Some days I am fine and normal.  Other days, I itch.  My friend told me estrogen levels at their height can trigger mast cells to release.  Makes total sense.  I itch mid cycle when estrogen is at its' highest level.  But I itch when I have my period too!  I think my own fluids are a trigger.  When I have a discharge, I itch.  I think I have a hypersensitivity to my self!!  No rhythm or reason.  I don't have any immediate allergies, but maybe some sensitivities, so I'm told by my new naturopathic doctor.  I'd never know. I don't react to anything, and have always eaten everything!!  So, maybe it's a mystery food.  How will I ever know????  I've eliminated wheat, dairy, tomatoes, but feel the same.  Makes no difference.  I really don't know how to find the mysterious food that could be an answer.  Or maybe it's not a food,  maybe I am going to itch by everything even my own body fluids.    Hmmmmm, could try to stop the eggs for a while, see if that makes a difference.  That will be hard, I'm already on a candida diet, and for me to eliminate that will be so hard.

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #12 - 03/05/11 at 07:05:50

Gibby, Ahhhh the candida diet. I felt so good when I went on that diet. Trying to get back on it. Good for losing weight. Yes try the eggs. I eliminated gluten first and while it improved itch on my arms and joint pain, I still had that awful itch. When I got rid of eggs. It stopped. Hopefully you will be able to find the trigger for the itching.
Melissa

IP Logged

gibby
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 03/05/11 at 08:20:07

The candida diet is so limiting as it is.  Plus now I've eliminated wheat, dairy, tomatoes, and it would be hard to forgo the eggs, I eat them everyday for protein.  

Have you all heard about that magic masto cream?  It's a mixture made of cromylyn and other things.  Supposed to be wonderful.  Only problem, don't know if I should use it vaginally....I made a version of it.

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/05/11 at 09:25:02

Hi Gibby ,

I completely undersatnd the itching . I am battling it myself .

Regards finding the food to avoid , that then i will be better and how overwhelming this all is I also compleltly understand .

For the mast cells down there , you need to be on a good mix of meds . Typically , as a group we are on 3 types of antihiatamines to cover as many oppertunities to control symptoms as possible .

With so much advice I needed to go back to basics a bit .

So heres a josie guide to the meds Smiley I am an RN .

Zantac - Ranitidine , blocks the histamine receptors in your stomach and bowel . This means any histamine from there or traveling there can not cause trouble there . As sandi said it reduces stomach acid to normal levels Smiley also you are being kept an eye on . so any throretical problems if the did ever arise ( VVVVV unlikely ) would be spotted nice and early Smiley

Benadryl / ceterizine / zyrtac ( all the same ) - is a non drowsy Histamine receptor type 1 blocker . So the areas that have type 1 receptors , lungs , down below , skin , are blocked and the histamine can't attach and cause trouble there Smiley

Allegra - non drowsy anti histamine - which is commonly taken twice a day at 180mg a dose .

Ketiofen and chlorheramine mealate , are histamine recpetor one blockers . ( caution with chlorpheramine if decongestants are a problem ) They are also mast cell stabilsers , so in taking them you get 2 for the price of one .

I worked out the stabilising benifits before I was told , it just seemed to help ( piriton )

Most patients are on ketiofen Smiley

Vistril - hydroxizine is being used for brain fog Smiley

Singulair blocks the chemicals called lucotrines , this reduces swelling . It was designed for little ones with asthma . But in angiodeama , and any mast cell problem it helps reduce swelling for us . Not just in the lungs but in many other areas Smiley

and good old gastrocrom :- mast cell satbilser . this is used when the person is getting no reief from anti histamines and singulair

management of symptoms is the key to less symptoms and less ED attendances Smiley Diet is in the same way reducing the amount of histamine released and ingested to help the whole situation along Smiley

mast cells will degraulate - end of - the trick is to stop its effects Smiley You ahve naughty mast cells . The way I picture it is like this is living with a barely house trained teenage monkey Smiley so you will ahve to clean up after it , anyways , but if you irritate it , choas ensues , and thats how it is Smiley

Take away the triggers - irritants and take antihisatmines ( clean up ) then it will never be quite controlled but your ready for it .

In all this I have hated not being able to control this .  I tried and continually fialed . Thats because I was totally focused on one trigger and was ignoring others . It was only when i was on a good balance of meds that I could see the other triggers Smiley

A diary will help you see patterns you amybe ahven't till now Smiley

The meds dont cover so much that you cant see danger coming . It just makes danger less scary . my example is brain fog as a sign of reaction . when i was on inadeuqate meds my barinfog would deriorate to shouting and confussion . Now I just cant find a word , an obvious one , then I know . antihiatamines and in 10 mins i am ok . Sometimes is a really big histamine hit so I get more symptoms but it gives me time to act Smiley

As for the vaginal itching , you have mast cells there , so if you have a mast cell problem then you need to treat that Smiley Some of the candidia diet things are things that irritate mast cells or have lots of hisatamine Smiley so you have excluded some mast cell irritators Smiley

I wandered if the lube has something in Smiley as I wouldn't tolerate it as I can't do gelatine in any form Smiley

My first round of problems didnt respond to pesseries or creams . It was the alcohol in them . ( 6 month episode )
The next lasted 1 month but i reacted to the gleatine in the fluconazole ( anti fungal capsule )
I am there again . I have had liquid flucocnzole . Ill let you know how I go Smiley Im seriously condisering a turkey baster and live yougart .

I am now diabetic and that doesnt help . I just itch when my sugar gets high . i can predict my sugar between 17-18 by my itching .

It may be worth you being tested . Bear in mind I didnt test positive until may last yr 2 yrs after my first intactable yeast infection Smiley many of us find just under wear will make us itch , so going commando ( indoors ???? ) may help. some ladies have tried sitz baths ., with some effect .

yeast infections are purely were the controlling bugs have been destroyed and the yeast / fungus gets to run riot . if you ahve the classic white thick discharge then its likely a yeast infection . If not it may be your masties . nasal crom will not cure the problem if its candidia , just take away the itch xxxxxxxxxxxxx I do wander if its more your masties now  Smiley as even the most stubborn candidia will run in the face of an antifungal orally Smiley

I hope this helps Smiley
Josie

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print