Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Cromolyn sodium (Read 25254 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Cromolyn sodium
Reply #15 - 02/28/11 at 13:35:00

As you know, Gastrocrom is a VERY expensive medication... for an adult, a three-month's supply costs almost $3,000.  If you're only getting a 24-day supply then you better be charged accordingly.  Seriously!!  Anything else is theft, pure and simple.  

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #16 - 03/03/11 at 16:03:56

When do you take your cromolyn? Mine says take it 1/2 hour after a meal. Is that right? I would think it would be before a meal, I asked the pharmacist and he said it was correct.
Melissa

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #17 - 03/04/11 at 01:18:00

I always take mine on an empty stomach... I was told to take it at least 15 minutes before eating.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #18 - 03/04/11 at 03:31:09

I was told to have Brie takes it 1/2 hour BEFORE each meal and at bedtime.

Kim

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #19 - 03/04/11 at 05:11:27

See I thought so. It makes more since. What should I do?
Melissa

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #20 - 03/04/11 at 05:15:42

I would just take it on an empty stomach 1/2 hour or so before meals.  I would also contact the Physician who wrote the prescription for you to verify how he or she wrote the Prescription out and if they truly wrote it wrong then educate them  Cheesy

Kim

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #21 - 03/04/11 at 05:18:33

http://www.drugs.com/pro/gastrocrom.html

Here is the Official FDA information and it says take 1/2 hour before meals and at bedtime.  Go to this site and print out a copy for your Physician and your Pharmacist.

Kim

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #22 - 03/04/11 at 06:53:55

Thanks Kim, mine is a powder thats in a capsule. It's says nothing about emptying into water. It just says take it 1/2 after a meal. I asked the pharmacist and he double checked and said yes thats correct. I'm kind of afraid to question the doctor, it's a new relationship and I don't wanna question her knowledge too much considering this is a fairly new relationship and she knows my history and difficulty with my past doctors not listening to me. So I don't wanna appear to be a no it all. But I wanna take the prescription correctly, I'm going to talk to the pharmacist again and maybe he can call the doctor.
Melissa

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 03/04/11 at 10:17:43

Hi mel ,

Many doctors will admit not knowing the prescription guidelines for many drugs . Thye do trust pharmacists on these matters Smiley if you can ask the pharmacist to ring that should be fine Smiley

Here in the UK it is the pharmacist that says when / how to take a medication. Hopsital phamracists leave little notes for the docs Smiley and go through all the medication charts and tell the docs if their timings are wrong or route or food guidelines .

so what your doing wont be frowned on Smiley

many hugs
Jose

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #24 - 03/04/11 at 11:29:18

I didn't realize you had the powder in the capsule.  Brie takes the liquid that is mixed in water.  I believe there are a few others on this forum that use the powder so lets ask them -  can anyone else who takes the powder form give some advice on this please?  Thank You,

Kim

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #25 - 03/06/11 at 07:39:58

Missyb, I'd really say before no matter what, the idea is to coat those cells in the gut with the mast cell stabilizer before ingesting the food you are about to eat and your body wants to trigger from. I'm perplexed that they don't have you  mixing with water too I'd think,,,, def do some research I've not seen anyone not mixing

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #26 - 03/06/11 at 13:04:20

I know, what the heck! Sandi what your saying makes more sence.
Melissa

IP Logged

sandyb
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #27 - 03/10/11 at 13:33:12

Hi. My pharmacy gave me a bit of a problem too with the packaing thing until I complained. It costs over 1000.00 a month so I made sure I got a full month's supply. They now give me 2 boxes and then the rest in a ziploc bag with a presciption label on the bag.

Sandy

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #28 - 03/10/11 at 15:59:28

There are mixed thoughts on when to take gastrocrom.  Some docs say to take it 1/2 hour before meals, but my GI doctor, who is an expert in mastocytic enterocolitis, Crohn's, and celiac, says it doesn't matter.  He said his wife sucks it right out of the ampule without mixing it, and also said I could take it with meals.  I would think taking it in capsule form with a glass of water wouldn't be much different from mixing it before taking it.

I thought it worked both ways, although I tended to take it on an empty stomach, unless I forgot. Then I'd take it anyway, regardless.  After 2 months of it, 4 times a day, Align once a day, bromelain with meat or fat meals, I was able to stop the gastrocrom without a return of symptoms in about 5 months now, unless I eat tomatoes or other high histamine food.  Still don't ever eat leftover meat.  

Stopping might not work for everyone, so ask your doc if you decide to.  Also, I have gotten some ringing in my ears that coincided with taking it.  Don't know for sure if it's related, but the company is still gathering side effect data, so call them and report any side effects.

Joan

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #29 - 03/11/11 at 03:56:09

Thank you Joan. I started taking it 1/2 before a meal.
Melissa

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print