Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Send Topic Print
My daughter's story (Read 93754 times)
Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Re: My daughter's story
Reply #180 - 03/29/11 at 06:06:21

Brie did ok with her Adrenal Stimulation Test today.  They admitted her to the Pediatric ICU so that made me feel more comfortable.  We are home now.  The only symptoms she had was some nausea and some small hives that would come and go for about an hour.  Nothing really scary.  I don't know how long it will take to get the results but I will let you all know once I hear something.  Thanks for keeping Brie in your thoughts.

Stay Well, Kim

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #181 - 03/29/11 at 14:12:21

WHEW!!!   I AM SO RELIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so very much for letting us know Kim!!   I'm glad she did well and I'm so glad they put her into the ICU!!!  That's great!!!   There is never something like too much precaution when it comes to us!!!

Whew, glad thats over!!   Hope she rests up well!!

You too!!!

Hugs!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #182 - 03/30/11 at 14:54:17

Lisa;

Can you tell me if there could be a "delayed" reaction to the test?  I am trying to figure out if Brie had delayed symptoms or if things were just her normal symptoms.  ALL of her symptoms have been next to none (except for the flushing) for a week or more now.  But after leaving the hospital she got really nauseated and later a stomachache.  Then before bed she had a headache and some dizziness.  This morning she awoke with real puffy eyes and this evening a bad stomachache.  Her teacher reported she was VERY tired all day in school and kept laying her head down (although she had a good nights sleep last night).  The only symptoms she had during the test were some mild flushing and some mild small hives that would come and go for about 1 hour.  None of these symptoms are new for her... but they have been absent most of the last week or more so I am just curious.  And none of them seem extreme or much to get worked up about.... but once again - just curious.  Also  she did not get the sneezing, watery eyes and barkey / croupy cough that she had after anesthesia in the past.  

Thanks Hon,  Kim

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #183 - 03/31/11 at 01:18:57

Hi Kim ,

I know this is not asked of me but i wanted to answer Wink My experience of the test was I was fine as Brie was but have aftershock symptoms which in themselves are not serious . I don't know if brie has had any bi phasic reactions . This is where you have an initial contact reaction and the up to 6 hrs later have more symptoms . I experience this in big and small reactions . i also get a build up of symptoms before a biggie . I am also more sensitive to food allergens when I have an empty stomach as they get in quicker Wink

So it could be the after effects or it may be a completely different trigger that is bothering Brie .

When I have had procedures the anticipation alone can be enough to irritate me - flushing , swelling etc  and irritatingly the wait for results in the same way .

When I am in this situation I double my baseline antihistamines - ranitidine , piriton , hydroxizine and dose any symptoms early to make absolutely sure they don't go anywhere . I understand dosing is more complex with little ones . Do you have scope for this ??

With extra mast cell activity I am exhausted and sleep round the clock ;-( but once its passed it helps me avoid symptoms . Even a long day with no stress or anything can lead to increased symptoms for me the next day .

I hope this helps

Josie

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #184 - 03/31/11 at 12:40:41

Josie;

Thank you so very much for your response and the explanation of the delayed reactions that you experience.  I just wonder if this is what Brie experienced as she has been pert near symptom free for a little over a week and then had 2 days of symptoms that actually started with the hives that would come and go during the test.  Brie's symptoms were not life threatening at all... nor were they anywhere near as severe as they can get. .. but it does have me wondering if "her bucket" was overfilled with the stress or other things involved with doing the test.  I was just curious if many others experience this.

Stay Well, Kim

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #185 - 03/31/11 at 16:14:17

Kim

Josie's got a pretty good handle on it but let me take it a step further.  I wouldn't call it a backlash or even a bi-phasic reaction, but what's really happened is that you stirred up the pot, let's say.  

This is something that I've noticed in my own self in that if you can get the disease to calm down a bit, of being that of only the daily "routine" then it get's into it's own set ways.  But when you present a situatio nlike this, it "stirs the pot up" and unsettles the system and it begins to feed itself once again.  

I don't know exactly what Dr. Castells would call this and I don't know that I've ever heard anybody call it anything, but this is what I can figure out what it is, in that because you've stirred things up, it's created it's own undercurrents and up and down drafting and this is what all of this extra activity was.  You unsettled her.  

So, what do you do?  Cut back on all physical activity and demands, ask her teachers to give her the very bare minimum of work, you must consider her "sick" as though she had a flu and just let her lounge around doing the very bare minimum in order not to stress her system any more - that can be visual, emotional, physical, etc.  Also, you need to up her meds to not only compensate for the extra reacting, but to help calm her system back down again.  This is like a setback situation and her masto is self-feeding in that because you stirred it up, it's now got fuel for the self feeding process.  So, in order to cut it you must take these TEMPORARY measures until you see that things have calmed back down again and you can cut back on the meds.  

It's not a permanant thing, Kim, and you can get her back under control, but it takes time.  I've gone through this loads and you can and will regain the control, but for now you've got to cut back on the stress upon her system and increase the meds to compensate fro what is going on and even more to try to take it all back under control again.  

Increasing her prednisone at this hour may not be a bad idea, but if you don't want to go this way, then adding another dose of antihistamines is the way to do it.   Talk with her doctors and see what they recommend.  

I hope it helps!

Lisa

Josie - don't be shy, sweety!!  Kim and I have a good relationship, but there's always room for more!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #186 - 03/31/11 at 16:35:14

Lisa;

Thanks for your post.  My mind is toast at this point and I have done nothing but give myself a headache.   I do not yet know the results of the Adrenal Stimulation Test... but I do know that something came out as at least "slightly abnormal".  The nurse called me today with this information... and the Dr. will call me "once she has time to check into a few things."  Don't blame the nurse!  Undecided  as it was I who pushed for the answers  Grin... as I always seem to do.  

So now I sit and wonder just what this means.  Been scouring the internet and can not tie Adrenal deficiency to MCAD.  She DOES NOT have many of the symptoms of Adrenal deficiency... and yet some she does have.... but these seem to cross over with the symptom of MCAD.   And every symptom that she does have fits into MCAD. So if they come back and say it is all due to Adrenal Deficiency I will be discouraged.   And I am not sure I have the patience to wait another 3 months for answers from Dr. Castell's as far as MCAD.  

Ok.   I am well aware that I am letting my fears get ahead of me hear and I need to take the back seat and let all of her Dr.'s figure this out...  but it is soooo hard!   And I just do not know what it all means to have low cortisol levels that I can not figure out a reason for.  She so far has tested negative for any Autoimmune disease... which could tie this and her MCAD symptoms together. So I am open for any input at this point.  Her Dr.'s are just as confused as I am and I hate to say this but I know more about MCAD than some of her Dr.'s do and I just want to make sure I am still going down the right road and can help them do the same.

Thanks to all of you,  Kim

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #187 - 04/01/11 at 00:29:31

Hi Kim ,

I completely understand Wink

The good thing about adrenal insuffiency / not working , is it is recognised and can be treated Wink Hormones and steriods can be replaced without any side effects .

My experience is and others have said this to me , that any autoimmune disease puts a microscope on mast cell activity . So , with that in mind , any autoimmune condition , when controlled , will take that magnification away .Wink

If brie has an adrenal problem , then they will treat her . My adrenal problem was not diagnosed for a long period as I didn't present typically . Even I , as a nurse having nursed patients with addisions ( low adrenals ) had disgarded it as I didn't fit 100 % . My nursing freinds and my pharmacists guessed at it , with logic .

All that actually matters , and I have been where you are , is Brie being ok Wink and having the right diagnosis .

When I have been stable for a couple of weeks i start thinking i have got there . i am on enough medication . Then my symptoms return for varying reasons , this week it is hormones , and i feel deflated , almost like I am back to square one , when we had no idea what was happening . I know I am not and I quickly sort myself out , but I still feel it . I was absolutely gutted in December when I went to ED and I had had a 16 week break , it was 3 weekly for 18 months . But I had a cry and it passed . I was ready to begin recovering .

Regards the , I know more about mcas than they do . yep , you do and you will . You will have moments where you have to wait for doctors to get up to speed . i direct doctors to the videos on you tube They get it then . In time Brie will also feel this . This is ok Wink your doctors are listening and doing their job . That is the most important thing for Brie and you Wink

Of the non mast cell specalist doctors I have met , the best have been those who are able to think outside the box . There was no box for Josie . But the good ones treated what they saw and documented it clearly so doctors following could get the picture of what they saw .

My family just wanted me better and the thought i may have something that would remain with me was very hard for them to cope with . I have known where I am at because I can feel stuff . I know when to rest , when I need more medications . Also that certian things will stir up my pot and make it slop over the top a bit Wink Does Brie tell you when she is feeling symptoms starting ?? I have developed my own list of symptoms from minor to serious ( for me ). I have done this by documenting all my symptoms over a yr period . Because i did this , I now know my very early warning signs . Which i medicate Wink and / or remove myself from the situation Wink I have done a booklet to do this and to keep a diary . I am happy for you to have a copy whilst you await Dr Castells . I am the sort of person who needs a plan and needs something to be doing Wink Even if the plan never comes to fruition , I like having one .

By knowing my symptoms , it has taken away my fear that i will miss something and get very poorly .

Emotionally , I have had to go through a period of letting go of what i was , who i felt i should be . In the initial stages I could do denial as as far as i was concerned it was short term so i didn't need to worry . Then it became medium term and I had to accept it . In going into this I had to accept that this was how it was . i didnt want to . Recently I have been going through another transistion into long term Wink . I really didn't think I would need to . Certinley in my denial phase I was looking for the perfect diagnosis that would mean i would be back to "normal " in a few months . It has only been with me embracing a new normal that I have really got a grip on my fears and limitations .

By a new normal I do mean my symptoms are normal , though i did begin to see things that way when i was undermedicated . I mean having to live my life a bit differently Wink brie is doing very well . I would not manage school .

I found getting hold of my fears impossible , like they were covered in oil . That oil for me was fear , no its too small a word . i was petrified that i would die and leave my children ( tears ) . So me understanding myself was all to ensure I would be Ok .

I am not saying this is the case with you . I just wanted to share with you Wink Any mum will feel everything you are and it is plain to all how much you love brie . You are caring for her so well . xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

many hugs

Josie

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #188 - 04/01/11 at 00:37:09

Kim,

Don NOT get discouraged!  I fully understand your fears!  You're afraid that they're going to throw the baby out with the bathwater since they don't understand yet what is "baby" and what is "bathwater"!   DO NOT FEAR!!!    This obviously can NOT be blamed upon the adrenal situation only and if you're smart enough to figure that out, then it must be obvious to them as well.  If they really are as perceptive as they seem to be, then they're not going to leave it at that.  The treatments that are helping to improve Brie's condition speak a great deal for themselves - you do NOT treat and adrenal issue with GASTROCROM!   They know there is more going on here.  What they are doing is trying to separate and identify what all of the things are that are going on with Brie and in order to do this they've got to test in order to make exclusions and also pinpoint what each thing is that is going on with her.  

Kim, these imbalances can be part of her triggering system!  You've heard us talk about POTs, right?  Well, there is a hypertensive and hypotensive POTs and these things are really big triggers for us!  When I'm doing a lot of reacting, I can't stand in place for any length of time!  I had my pressure shoot up to 230/110 just because I had to stand waiting for my doctor to give me some paperwork one morning - I was in her office for about 5 or so minutes when just that standing in one place began to make me ill!  She was SHOCKED to say the least and had no idea that POTs could cause this hypertensive situation and when I sent her the information connecting it to mast cell activation, she was even more shocked!  She's an angiologist ant this is her area and even then, Kim, she's learned things with me that other diseases won't teach.  

Now, have they done an adrenal test on me?  No.  Should they?  Probably so.  Will they?  I've not the slightest!  I've had my cortosol off at times and yet nobody's thought to test it here.  Yet, I'll bet my cardiologist does this when he does an investigation into my syncope.

Kim, your fears are that they won't see the big picture, but I think you can be at peace about this, Kim.  This is why your doctors were hesitating before talking to Dr. Castells.   If the adrenal issues were the only ones, this would have been discovered by now.  

Yet, here's the beauty of your situation - nothing is going to stop you going to see Dr. Castells!  That's YOUR business and not theirs!  You've got the appointment, and it's your business if you want to go see her - they can't stop you, so don't worry about it.  Yet, thankfully you've still got room enough to find more understanding and therefore when you do see her, you've got more puzzle pieces in your hands to show her and she can put them together then!!

So, don't be impatient and don't worry.  They are doing their jobs FINALLY and they've seen that Brie's unstable and in trouble and they are trying hard to find out all of the pieces of her puzzle.  

I honestly think, Kim, that going to see Dr. Castells won't give you that magic wand to resolve all of Brie's issues.  But, what she will do for you is to give you and your doctors the confidence that they need as to where they are taking Brie, or more like, where Brie is taking them!!!  They're blind Kim and they are groping in the dark and they've only got the crumbs that Brie is throwing at them to lead them along and they are trying hard to follow those crumbs!  This is something totally new and foreign to them, my friend and now that they've learned to identify what is the crumb and what is not, this is what they are following.   Dr. Castells holds the flash light and she'll know what to do with those pieces and what belongs to the puzzle and what doesn't.  

So, again, take a deep breath and relax!  You've been on your guard for so long you don't know how to let it down anymore.  I fully understand it!!   But, trust me, Kim, even though I'm still pushing for further answers, there truly does come a time when the pressure begins to let up and you can come down a tad from that guard without fearing that your doctors are going to get totally lost again.    Don't let it down all the way, for there is always the possibility that they can lose the track of those crumbs.  But, I don't think so!!   My dermatologist had one of these periods too, but it was Dr. Castells who saved the day for me!!!

So, my dear, be at peace!!  They've caught the crumbs and have an idea of what it tastes like.  

As to the pushing, Kim, KEEP PUSHING!!   Don't feel bad about that.  You have to do this and you've seen the fruit of this constant pushing.  You're being a SQUEEKY WHEEL!!!   KEEP SQUEEKING!!!  

I think that if more of us did all that SQUEEKING, or more like SQUAWKING that this disease really requires that we do, many of us would have more answers and better care.   Those of us who seem to defy the WHO criteria for SM are truly up against the wall to find our answers!  We don't fit into the box and due to this our doctors don't know what to do with us.  If we don't push, we just won't find the answers.  It becomes a full time job, but it is one which reaps a lot of fruit!!   JUST KEEP PUSHING!   Smiley

Hugs Kim, and DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED, the finish line is in view, and then it's on to another phase!

Lisa

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #189 - 04/01/11 at 03:00:12

Josie and Lisa.... Thank You!  Thank You! Thank You!  Everything the two of you said is so true.  And it is others input and views like this that puts the wind back into my sails!!!!  

Brie has tested negative for most everything (which has been A LOT) in 3 years time and I really did not feel this test would come back abnormal.  Although I won't know until the Dr calls me just what the "abnormality" is.... it may really be nothing much... who knows?  

Stay well,  Kim

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #190 - 04/01/11 at 04:18:00

Hi Kim ,

My pleasure sweets . We have all been there in various ways Wink

I understand the negative test results , your pleased , but increasingly frustrated as to what it is . Then bugger me , something comes up . The doctor is doing his job , making sure he has all the info when he speaks to you .  I also understand the waiting too . i had a letter yesterday saying I had to wait until October for my next appointment , put back from may     ............................................ Ah No . I rang the secretary , she is talking to the doctor on Monday and she will re appoint me from there .

hugs
Josie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #191 - 04/01/11 at 16:21:08

The results are in... and the questions continue.....

Brie's Adrenal Stimulation Test was abnormal.  She did not produce the cortisol that she needed to during the test.  I do not know the baseline level before the test (forgot to ask that while on the phone and I had upset the Dr. with our call so I did not want to call back and ask)  Lips Sealed  But her baseline that resulted in the test being done in the 1st place was only a little low at 6.6.  Her 30 minute level during the test was only 12.7 (should be at least 18-20) and her 60 minute level was 9.8 (again should be at least 18-20).

This Dr. then counseled with a site that has over 200 Endocrenologists and asked for their input into this situaion and it sounds like she got plenty of responses.  When they did Brie's test they did the Low Dose Short Test (which is the most sensative).  During this test they inject
1 microgram of the adrenal stimulating medication.  Apparently 25% of peole will test abnormal with the Low Dose Short Test (unsure why this is and anything I could find on it stated that this is the more accurate test).  Regardless... The Endocrenologists that she consulted with recommended that the test be repeated using the Conventional Test in which they inject 250 micrograms.  She wanted to set this repeat test up and I told her that I was willing to do that but also let her know of the mild symptoms that Brie experienced for 2 days after the 1st test.  Not sure why but the Dr. seemed "incensed" over this and said she doesn't want to repeat the test now until after Brie sees the Mast Cell Specialist.  I concurred with her concerns but verbalized that 3 months is a long way out and I feel Brie needs some answers now if she is producing such little cortisol and that these are life sustaining hormones and she has proven over and over her episodes of crisis.  I asked her to contact Dr. Castell's and discuss Brie's case with her and see if she could recommend how we can premedicate Brie before doing the 2nd test.  She seemed to become even more incensed with this idea and got down right rude and felt "put out" by this request.... although in the end she did agree to do so.

I heard back from her Dr. later in the day and she did infact call Dr. Castell's office.  Due to "liability issues" the office was not comfortable giving out a protocol for Brie until after they see her first hand.

Due to this her Dr. and I both agreed we need to wait to do the 2nd test as if she truly did have mild reactions to 1 mcg we can only speculate what may happen if she is given 250 times that dose.  So now we have a 3 - 4 month wait to find out answers for this as well. But this Dr. did assure me that I can call anytime it looks like Brie may be heading into Addison's Crisis or some other issue.... which without a question I would do with or without her blessings  Roll Eyes

So we are once agin moving forward but yet taking a step backward for the time being.  It will all come together... I just don't know when this will be.  I do appreciate all of you who have been following Brie's situation and the process of obtaining a diagnosis, the support, feedback, thoughts and opinions.  You have all been so helpful and Brie and I would not be where we are today if it wasn't for all of you!!!!

With Sincere Yhanks,  Kim

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #192 - 04/01/11 at 17:13:12

Kim, one of the very HARDEST lessons we have is that of WALKING out our faith, not only in God but also in our doctors and others.   (No, people, I'm not preaching so please don't anybody get upset with me.)  This is especially hard when we see the goal and we want to RUN to get there!

Kim, I know I say this time and again but I do very much know just exactly the frustrations you are feeling for you're tired of beating your head up against the wall and also of seeing your baby suffering!!

But please, let me take you back several months to before you had found this one doctor who began to see what you've been telling him - the one who has really made such a difference in the life of you and Brie.  Remember how it was in the very beginning, going around from one doctor after another and the fact that they weren't taking any of this seriously!  Read back to your first posts and how hard it was back then just to get a doctor to listen to you!!

I'm thankful that your doctor is being cautious!!  This means she's not looking at your baby like a "project" just to make her name important.  Instead she's really caring and trying to protect her.  Although you are a nurse, Kim, have you ever seen anyone have a bad reaction to this exam?  I've not, but obviously your doctor has!  And for Dr. Castell's office to refuse to send the protocols, this make me feel very, very concerned!!   Don't feel frustrated, this door may have closed ON PURPOSE and you must see it as a protection instead of a "NO".  God will open doors and He will close others and you've got to learn to accept it without getting upset.

And I think that this definitely shows where your doctor is in regards to the MCAD diagnosis!  See, you didn't need to worry about it at all!  She's believing in it more than ever obviously!

Look Kim, if your doctor got rude with you, don't get offended.  I wouldn't be surprised, Kim, that it wasn't real rudeness, but more like she's frightened by what she's got on her hands!   People who are scared can come off as being rude to others.  And you may think it's odd for a doctor to be "afraid" of working with Brie, but this disease scares them due to the anaphylaxis we go through!!!   I consulted with an allergist, because I need a caretaker here in my town and it's not fair that my angiologist is who carries me!   The allergist blankly refused my case!  His eyes even bugged out!  The thing is that I get so nervous with doctors that it's insane and this ends up making me to react and this day was a bad day to begin with and sure enough I began having a crisis in his office.  When he saw me getting sick, his eyes began to bug out!  He beat the record for water fetchers so that I could take my medication!!!  But even after this, he openly refused my request and told me that he was afraid to work with me because he doesn't know the disease well enough!!!   He knew enough to decide that he didn't want masto patients!

So, be patient with your doctor.  She's most likely frightened out of her wits adn I wouldln't be surprised that someday, when she looks back, she'll say that Brie was her hardest patient!

The 3 months will FLY by Kim!!!  Just keep up with what you are doing and in no time you will be packing your bags for Boston!!!

Hugs!!!

Lisa

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #193 - 04/01/11 at 18:16:03

Thanks again Lisa;

You never fail to help me see things in a different perspective and I so desperately need that!  I'm not losing faith.  But yes... I'm a little frustrated that we may be so close to answers and can't quite get there in the time frame that I'd hoped for.  It's been 3 long years... but from what I know 3 years is minimal compared to the 10 - 20 years that most people have to wait for their answers.  So I am thankful for that.

I am also thankful that this Dr. is being catious... I do not want Brie to go through anything more than she has to and I truly fear a Bad episode of anaphylaxis may be in the waiting if we are not cautious.  

You mentioned that you are concerned about Dr. Castell's not being willing to give us a protocol at this time.  Can you email me more on what concerns you have about this please?  I certainly undertsand the laibility issues but feel your comment goes deeper than that and would love to hear your input on this.  And private email may be the place for this discussion.

I wasn't upset that Dr. Castell's wouldn't give us a protocol.  Nor was I upset that Brie's Dr. wanted to wait until after Brie see's Dr. Castell's... at least not after she called Castell's office.  I was somewhat upset  when she initially wanted to wait and let this "sit" for 3 months and not do what she could to make it happen sooner.  But once we hit a road block with a protocol I too wanted to wait as I don't want anything to happen to my baby.  (Brie would not be happy if she heard me call her this! Roll Eyes

I never looked at her "rudeness" as fear until you mentioned it and I think you may be totally accurate here.  She was going full force with explaining the results of Brie's test, her consult with several other Pediatric Endocrinologists and the plan to retest.  I then threw a wrench into this plan when I verbalized concern of giving her 250 times the dose and the mild symptoms that Brie did experience with only 1 mcg.  She then became VERY quite and I actually thought I lost the phone reception.  But she was just giving thought to what I had just told her.  This is when her attitude changed and she became very short... I have to admit that I took this on personally and actually wanted to say "Do you think I intentionally brought on Brie's symptoms" (but I of course didn't).  This was when she said she would not do the repeat test... out of fear I am sure.  So I gave things another push by saying I would like answers regarding the Adrenal Glands and felt Dr. Castell's may be of assistance in helping us medicate Brie so we could do the 2nd test.  This is when she started to complain that her lunch hour was already over and she has a lot of "catch up" to do and that she didn't feel comfortable contacting a Dr. she doesn't even know and one that hasn't even seen Brie yet.  I sympathize with all of this but felt we had to at least try and I truly hadn't given any consideration into how much time she may have already put into finding answers to Brie's test results and consulting with other Endocrinologists.  She probably hadn't even taken care of her own needs... such as eating lunch and may have fallen behind with clinic patients due to the time spent on Brie's case.  The selfish side of me came out here  Cry  If it was truly fear on her part I hope she is able to deal with this in time as I don't want to lose her as one of Brie's "Dynamic Trio" Dr.'s!  She is a wonderfully intelligent person/Dr and she can be soooo much help in Brie's care.  She also again mentioned that she thinks there is something gentic with many of Brie's issues and wants her to see a Genetisist - we already have an appointment in June for this.  Just earlier this week this Dr. was SO EXCITED to follow Brie and commented how much Brie was going to teach them all... but maybe after knowing about how quickly her symptoms get set off she did get in touch with her fears of the "what ifs."

But in the end it was all good and she recognized my need for answers for Brie and she did follow through with my request to contact Dr. Castell's.  When she did call me back she did not sound irritated any longer and we both agreed that the decision to wait was the best for the time being.

I have waited this long and I can play the waiting game a little longer.  Brie is truly so much more stable after starting the Gastrocrom and I am so very pleased with this.  I no longer live every day in fear of her next severe episode of symptoms landing her in a rush to the Dr.'s office or a stay at the hospital with no answers as to what is wrong.  At least when and if she goes into another one of these epsiodes I feel assured that at least 2 of her Dr.'s will either trial an Epi Pen or do what they need to test for Addison's Crisis and we will be able to treat Brie much more quickly and promptly.  

I know it doesn't always sound like it... but I truly am in a much better place in dealing with all of this emotionally thanks to all of you and her latest "Dynamic Trio" of Dr.'s and I know she is in good hands!

Stay Well, Kim

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #194 - 04/02/11 at 03:14:33

Hi Kim ,

Dr Castell's and her office are behaving responsibly in not issuing a protocol . They need to see brie and document her and her illness . They will then have a plan , which will include plans for procedures like this test .

In December I was very poorly with 3 shocks in a week . I was due to see DR Grattan , the UK masto specialist in January . He returned my call and spoke to my GP . But would not change any of my drugs or plans for me without seeing me . This is good medical practice .

When I have expressed concerns to doctors I have had some get uppity because they think I am questioning them . I am keeping myself safe .  I think she talked to Dr Castells office and they backed up your concerns and that they were more important at the current time than repeating the test immediately xxxxxx I agree with Lisa , that your doc has got a bit scared . I have seen my doctors go through this . they are happy to take me , then they see what I can do and get a bit scared . With mast cell conditions it is important doctors understand its quirks and often lack of logic . I am very pleased you have found her . She seems happy to take specialist advice .

Once Dr Castells has seen brie , they will remain her specialists forever . Your local doctor will be able to ask advice .

IF , they feel Brie's problems are not mast cell ( very very unlikely ) they will point a direction to move in Wink

I hope Brie's symptoms are settling Wink
hugs
josie

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Send Topic Print