Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ketotifen and Tummy (Read 7645 times)
texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Ketotifen and Tummy
06/23/14 at 11:07:58

Does anyone know if ketotifen helps upper GI issues? As in inflamed stomach lining and sores in esophagus? It seems like mast cell stabilization would help.

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Ketotifen and Tummy
Reply #1 - 06/23/14 at 17:00:58

Ketotiefen can definitely help with upper GI issues, but it does depend on what the cause is. Do they know what is causing the sores? If it is acid reflux, the ketotifen could help, but if it is some type of infection it is unlikely. The pharmacist at Clark's in Washington is really knowledgeable about ketotifen, and might be able to help.
1-800-480-3432 or clarkspharmacywa@gmail.com.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 06/24/14 at 01:15:59

Thanks for the answer. He tested for Heliobacter and it was negative. I have resisted using prilosec every day as I already am on lots of meds, but also want to slow the damage. Been on ketotifen and it helps w joint and muscle pain, but wondered if it could do double duty.

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 06/24/14 at 17:29:54

Are you taking something like Zantac for your GI symptoms? I'm not sure if ketotifen will be enough on its own if you have lesions. Try the pharmacist, see what he knows. You definitely want to do something to manage those sores in the esophagus. That can lead to Barrett's esophagus, which can lead to cancer. I hope you find something effective that you can tolerate!

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 06/25/14 at 10:35:09

Is your diagnosis gastritis?  GERD (gastroesophageal reflux? EE (eosinophilic esophagitis?  Something else?  If not, what diagnosis did the GI doctor give you?  It's hard to know which medicines might work well unless there's a specific diagnosis.  Do you have any sense of what's caused the problem?  Sometimes those things are chronic and sometimes they're triggered by viruses or dietary choices.

For a similar-sounding problem, a friend was prescribed (by a GI doc who knows about MC disorders) oral budesonide.  He's going to keep her on it for a while and then wean her off it it helps.  The next step will be ketotifen or gastrocrom, if she needs it.

Does your doctor know a lot about mast cell disorders?

Joan

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 06/25/14 at 11:21:26

He told me I have inflamed stomach lining (gastritis) and sores in my esophag (beginnings of Barretts). He just wanted me to take prilosec. I am assuming GERD then. While he was aware of  IC ( and hence tested me for celiac) he really didnt seem to aware on the MCAD part. I think he was most concerned about clearing esoph sores. We didnt spend as much time on this as I would have like as my gall bladder had to come out pronto.  I don't think he did any biopsy in my stomach, just intestine and it was fine. I may try a few week course prilosec and see if it helps. I am also going to ask my immuno dr about this when I see him next.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 06/25/14 at 20:19:30

In case your doctor didn't clue you in to other measures to take for GERD, there are foods to avoid because they make GERD symptoms worse.  Those include:  fatty or fried foods, coffee, tea, alcohol, spicy foods, citrus fruits, tomatoes, onions, carbonated beverages, chocolate and mint.  Don't eat anything for at least 2 hours before bed and don't lie down after meals.  Elevating the head of your bed can help, too.

Hope you can get some relief soon!

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print