Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for advice- antibiotics (Read 5531 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Looking for advice- antibiotics
06/18/14 at 13:30:41

Hi all! So after being sick for 2 weeks and getting worse I went to the urgent care on Monday night. I have bronchitis/sinusitis. Ugh. The doctor prescribed me doxycycline. I took it Monday night, twice yesterday and once this morning. Since yesterday, my mast cells have been flipping out. I have the fight or flight feeling and severe stomach pains and some swelling and other yucky stuff.
After looking into it, I saw that augmentin is the best choice for antibiotics for people with mast cell disorders. So I called my general practitioner (who knows nothing about MCAS or autoimmune urticaria)  and he prescribed me augmentin at my request. But being the scardy-cat that I am when in comes to meds, I just took half of one a few minutes ago.
I have always had a terrible time with antibiotics, but I don't think this bronchitis is going to go away on its own.
Just looking for some encouraging words.
I'm throwing a huge 40th birthday party for my husband on June 28th and I need to feel better.
But what if I can't tolerate any of them?

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Looking for advice- antibiotics
Reply #1 - 06/21/14 at 20:21:13

I hope by now you are doing better! I just wanted to say that I do just fine on many antibiotics, which is good, because I have needed them. Actually, the ones I do worst with are the ones that are supposed to be best for those with mast cell issues.

You just don't know till you try them. If worst comes to worst, there are some other options for treating bronchitis. The most important thing is to try not to worry, or to put too much pressure on yourself.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 06/29/14 at 16:15:07

There are several antibiotics that can cause problems in people with mast cell disorders.  Those include the doxycycline as Brigitte mentioned, and also the "quinolone" antibiotics: Cipro, Avelox, Levaquin, and others.  I had an anaphylactic reaction to Avelox the first time I took it.  It was the only time I had to give myself an Epipen.

It's important for mast cell disorder patients to put any antibiotics that are known mast cell degranulators on their list of drug allergies for each medical provider.  Even though it technically isn't an allergy, by listing it, doctors should understand not to prescribe it.

Joan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 06/30/14 at 06:17:02

Hi Brigitte!
So sorry to hear you're feeling bad. I have a bit of  different take on this, maybe my solution will help you. I had a reaction to all antibiotics I tried, then I got desperate and discovered something that worked for me; I can take any antibiotic now, I just half the dose but take it twice as long. In other words, my 500 mg twice a day for one week became 250 mg twice a day for two weeks--and I do just fine that way. I hope you are better soon!
Hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 07/13/14 at 13:40:50

Thanks for the info ladies! I ended up on augmentin (not sure if I already mentioned that). I actually did pretty well on it until..........I got a yeast infection. OMG! Haven't had one of those before. Terrible. Horrible. (Sorry boys! Lol! But actually boys can get them too!) Not sure I would take it again. I ended up having to take an oral medication as well as topical ointment. Ugh.
All is well now.
I've actually been doing pretty good lately, other than a few poor food choices.
I have definitely figured out that vegetable oils are huge triggers for me, as well as the ingredients triglycerides, mono/diglycerides and medium chain triglycerides.  I also have issues with glycerin both topically and in toothpastes etc.
I'm not sure I am sensitive to all oils, but at this point I'm afraid to test the waters! Lol
I have reacted to coconut, avocado, safflower, almond, canola and rice bran oil (and I think a few more I'm not remembering at the moment)
One of these days I'll try olive oil again.
« Last Edit: 07/14/14 at 05:40:40 by Britt »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print