Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Study: H2 blockers effective at treating schizophrenia (Read 5124 times)
larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Study: H2 blockers effective at treating schizophrenia
03/09/14 at 00:15:21

I have MCAS with a strong mood component and my brother has schizophrenia.  I wanted to post this for anyone else who may suffer from mood symptoms or have a family member with mental illness.

I have for a long time suspected that mast cells have something to do with his metal illness--in part because he had terrible allergies and other sensitivities as a child that he (presumably) outgrew.  Also, both his illness and my MCAS started when we were the same age -- 23.  We are now in our 40s.  My mood symptoms directly correlate with my other systemic symptoms, so I know I am not suffering from both MCAS and a mood disorder.

My brother has not had much success with traditional anti-psychotic meds.  

This led me to do some research on the connections between mast cells and mental illness.  I have been in touch with one of the authors of this study:  

http://www.psychcongress.com/article/antihistamine-decreases-schizophrenia-sympt...

The study found that H2 blockers reduced symptoms.

The lead author cautioned that this is not a treatment option that is immediately available, but may be in a few years after additional studies.

He was excited to hear about this mast cell angle when I contacted him and said that as far as he knew, the connection between mast cells generally and schizophrenia has not been studied.  I encouraged him to pursue it!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Study: H2 blockers effective at treating schizophrenia
Reply #1 - 05/15/14 at 11:03:50

A very enlightening study, Larken.  Thank you!!!!!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Re: Study: H2 blockers effective at treating schizophrenia
Reply #2 - 10/29/14 at 18:01:47

Great work larken. I'm glad you informed that researcher of MCAD. Smiley

I've seen another study with another H2 antihistamine improving treatment resistant schizophrenia, but this one you post is a much better study.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print