Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anaphylaxis definition (Read 3413 times)
peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Anaphylaxis definition
09/07/13 at 14:24:46

If one person has cardiac arrest hypoxic tryptase 200 from a bee sting is called Anaphylaxis
If a person with mild allergy reaction is still called Anaphylaxis
What how can this work

IP Logged

Spartako
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Anaphylaxis definition
Reply #1 - 09/07/13 at 14:47:48

Wikipedia Quote:
Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction that is rapid in onset and may cause death.

A mild allergy reaction is not called anaphylaxis...

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 09/07/13 at 16:46:22

Anaphylaxis is the of a combination and involvemento of at least two systems with skin being one of them; cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, respiratory, neurological and skin.

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 09/07/13 at 22:27:19

Gastrointestinal neurological or skin is not Anaphylaxis is not life therting
There are no symptom s in life therting anaphylaxis gastrointestinal neurological skin
Are in mast cell activation at lower levels

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #4 - 09/08/13 at 03:35:01

Skin symptoms by themselves are not life threatening, but if you're having difficulty breathing and covered with hives... then it's easy to tell the difference between anaphylaxis and an asthma attack.  Or lets say you don't have any skin symptoms, but you suddenly have diarrhea and then faint in the bathroom.  Semi-dangerous stomach flu or life-threatening anaphylaxis?  It's easy to say "anaphylaxis" when there's a clear external trigger like a bee sting or a food allergen.  Some of us "shock" for other reasons, but I wouldn't say the experience is "mild."  You don't have to have a heart attack or a tryptase of 200 to be in anaphylaxis.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 09/08/13 at 11:05:56

We all have theses symptoms some have them every day and we get up the next day and have them again and again Thay are Not Mild Thay are disabling

Life therting Anaphylaxis has NO SYMPTOMS

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 09/08/13 at 13:53:53

My definition of Anaphylaxis
Anaphylaxis is the event that is life therting
Symptoms after the event are not life therting

If the event itself was not life therting it was not Anaphylaxis

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #7 - 09/08/13 at 15:15:13

Peter, because the mechanism is different, we can't have our anaphylaxis, which they really call anaphylacTOID, judged in the same way.  Because MCs are able to degranulate in a selective manner, it means that they don't do the total dumping that they do in an IgE mediated reaction.   This means that they can react in isolated manners with only certain mediators involved.  This means that they can produce reactions in only specific systems.   It doesn't have to be necessarily "life threatening" in that you'll die in only moments.  It can indeed be severe enough that you must have medical intervention of some kind.   It's much more than just an allergic reactiong or even our typical "leaking" events.  

An example:    I had anaphylaxis show itself in almost purely gastrointestinally.   I began having intense diarrhea which began early in the day and as the afternoon wore on it began to get at ever shortening intervals.    The pain was intense and I would get incredibly weak and flushed with it.  It got to the point that it was coming in waves and I came very close to passing out with it!!  I was also having a micro-hemorrhage along with it.   My doctors are who told me that this was anaphlaxis.   I really should have had an epi and gone to the ER but I just didn't know any better then and turned it around with H2 blockers.  

Lately I go into anaphylaxis where I'm jumping over the typical symptoms and I go straight into syncope and can be out for about 2 hours.   Yes, Peter, this also has been judged as anaphylaxis and it's incredibly dangerous because I'm in vasoplegia which means I'm in a severe cardiovascular reaction.   I don't show dyspnea, but I can have either hypertension or hypotension but I've often had normal BP as well.  But again, we know I'm in anaphylaxis when this is ocurring.  And yes, it's very dangerous.  

So, you must remember, masto patients do this differently than a typical allergic person.  We have anaphylactoid reactions and the mechanisms are totally different than IgE reacting.

I hope this helps.

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

vicmjones
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 09/08/13 at 16:56:35

I agree. I have not had typical anaphylaxis but I get hives, flushing (skin), high blood pressure (cardiovascular), diarrhea, nausea and vomiting (gastrointestinal)  and a feeling of impending doom (neurological) all at the same time. My doctor said this was grade 4 anaphylaxis. It is not what you would typically think of as anaphylaxis. I did not use my EPI as I had high blood pressure instead of low. It was not life threatening (although I was afraid it might be). I just took my emergency meds and ended up fine. But that does not mean that that was not dangerous, it could have easily turned dangerous at any moment. My understanding is that there are 5 grades of anaphylaxis The most dangerous symptoms are low blood pressure, breathing difficulties, abnormal heart rate and throat closing. These should always be treated with your EPI pen. But that does not mean that other symptoms should be ignored as they can turn into more life threatening symptoms.

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 09/08/13 at 17:40:29

My diagnosis is systemic mastocytosis with all the symptoms and complication s
That go with it

My diagnosis of IgE venom Anaphylaxis is 100 percent granted Death in 5 minutes from a sting of any venomous insect

Anaphylaxis is Anaphylaxis    Mast cell activation is mast cell activation

Mastocytosis cannot just take Anaphylaxis and change the Definition
Is without protection

IP Logged

legd
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 09/09/13 at 05:54:04

Hi Peter,
Mastocytosis doesn't change the definition of anaphylaxis.  Diagnostic criteria are not fully agreed, but Lisa's parameters reflect the most recent proposal:

http://www.aaaai.org/global/latest-research-summaries/Current-JACI-Research/NIAI...

Many professionals distinguish between IgE-mediated true allergic anaphylaxis vs. the pure mast-cell reaction which many of us experience, using either anaphylactoid reaction, or non-allergic anaphylaxis to describe it, but once the mast cells kick in the reaction is much the same.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000844.htm

My daughter has a peanut allergy which results in anaphylaxis, while I have mast cell reactions which look almost identical and which require similar medications and emergency help.

One can talk about different stages of anaphylaxis, and I believe that what you are describing would be referred to as "anaphylactic shock"  which is the extreme form of anaphylaxis.  It doesn't mean, though, that the other stages are not also anaphylaxis.  For a parallel example, some people get the flu virus and suffer a couple of weeks with high fever, fatigue, etc. while others die of it -- but it is all equally 'influenza.'

I hope this helps!
legd

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 09/09/13 at 08:45:55

By grading Anaphylaxis Thay are degrading the  Definition and meaning of the word

By placing theses people under Anaphylaxis Thay take away there quality of life
Thay take away there future
All proven by Tryptase no one should have to live with the fair of Death every day  if Thay  don't have to

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print