Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Survived a D&C - Getting the Anesthetic I Wanted Required Persistance (Read 920 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Survived a D&C - Getting the Anesthetic I Wanted Required Persistance
09/12/13 at 10:56:08

Thankfully, I came through my D&C Procedure today with flying colors.  I got a spinal block with some propofol in my IV.  I woke up fine, and felt all right.  If I am given pain meds or the wrong anesthetic for me, I wake up with a migraine from **** that has me wishing for death.

Anyhow, the reason I decided to post is to relay what I had to go through to get what I wanted.  I had basically spoken to the nurse practitioner at my doctor's office ahead of time telling her what I wanted for anesthetic  and why,  She was very nice.  She listened, then told me to contact the anesthesiology department and speak to someone there.

An anesthesiologist called me between patients, (they call it a consult?), and gave me his suggestion of a paracervical block, told me to write it down and tell the anesthesiologist assigned to me the morning of surgery.

My anesthesiologist comes in and begins discussing the meds he could give me, all of which I did not want. He also insisted I would need an opiate as a pain med.  I was freaking out and ready to go home, when I asked him if he knew of my desire to have a spinal block?

"Oh", he says.  "I didn't know of your wishes."  "Sure, we can do that."
BTW, I also gave the REMA protocols from Dr. Escribano to him.  I had brought them with me.  Of course, none of the medicines recommended for beforehand had been given to me.

Moral of this story:  How many times and to how many different people do I have to make my wishes known?  I may not have a dangerous life-threatening reaction to anesthetics, but as far as I'm concerned, if "I'd rather be dead" than feel what the anesthetic does to me, that is a mental crisis.

Anyhow, through persistence, I got what I wanted and did well. Good grief, doctors can be a pain in the ***.  Maybe I should have had my PCP write notes as to what I wanted during my pre-op testing, and why I wanted it?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print