Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I have kind of an odd question...... (Read 1367 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

I have kind of an odd question......
08/15/13 at 09:06:52

Hi all! So when my son was one year old (he's 9 now) we were rushing to get ready to meet my family for dinner and I didn't notice that my baby had gotten ahold of the children's liquid Benadryl. I wasn't sure whether he had drank any or if it had just spilled on the floor.
I immediately called poison control and then went to the ER. The doctors didn't think that he had gotten much in his system because he was acting normal, but they thought it would be best to give him charcoal just in case.
It was so sad watching them shove charcoal several times down his throat Sad
But all went well and we came home.
Now to backtrack, my son was an extremely fussy infant and toddler. He was rarely content. They diagnosed him with acid reflux and put him on previcid (I think that's what it was). This helped some, but I could still tell he was mostly uncomfortable.
Going forward again, I can remember so well that the days following the charcoal treatment, he was such a happy boy. More so than I had EVER seen him. I remember talking to my mom, husband and best friend telling them that I knew it was the charcoal that had made the extreme and very obvious difference.
This memory got me thinking, could charcoal supplements help us mast cell people? I never knew there was such a thing until recently.
I feel in my gut that this might be helpful, but I have grown to be afraid of everything, so I'm not sure I have it in me to try it.
Has anyone on here ever tried it?

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Re: I have kind of an odd question......
Reply #1 - 08/15/13 at 10:05:27

Not being overly familiar with this stuff, take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

My opinion:  The charcoal is used to absorb "bad stuff", such as a possible overdose your child may have ingested.

You do not want to absorb nutrients and vitamins and foodstuffs from your digestive system on a regular basis, as this would eventually make you sickly and anemic.

Just my thoughts.  Chime in, anyone, who has a different opinion.
« Last Edit: 08/15/13 at 15:05:48 by Futurehope »  

IP Logged

Jennifer R.
Tutor

I am not a mushroom!
McAlester, OK
Reply #2 - 08/18/13 at 19:10:28

Cold it have been that he did get the benedryl and that's why he felt better?

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/24/13 at 01:29:36

Charcoal was very, very, bad for me.   But we are all different.

And what Futurehope said.   If you overuse it, it could interfere with proper nutrition.   I've always heard that too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print